Tribe of the Tangled Hook - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

Tribe of the Tangled Hook

I've been slowly building my army, and was mostly done with it (except the required GSing).
    I say "was" because I've been inspired to re-theme and rewrite my list, thanks to my daughter's favourite dvd.
    I'd watched the movie a few dozen times with her, before one of the characters hit me, no not literally, but close enough.

I'd say he looks rather a bit ogre-ish, and it was pretty easy to do the conversion. I had originally intended to run him as just a normal Ogre, but he's been bullying me incessantly, and so now he's a Butcher/Slaughtermaster.

I have had to dismantle a couple of my conversions to use the bodies as standard ogres. I'm not too bothered really, the arms were blutaked on (which was where most of the work was) and I haven't lost the conversion work I did on them, they're just not part of the models anymore.
    My old list was a shooty list, lead by a Firebelly in a Leadbelcher unit, it also included some shooty Maneaters.
    These lists, however, are actually more "traditional" than the previous, but still a little odd since they do have a Giant in the list from the start.

Starting with the 1000pt list
    It's made up mostly of what I have in my boxes, and that includes the Giant; all I have left to get is a couple of Mournfang and the list is good to go.

Butcher @ 178.0 pts (General)
    - Level 2 Upgrade: Lore of the Great Maw
    - Ironfist; Sword of Striking; Dispel Scroll

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts
    - Bellower; Standard Bearer; Ironfist

3 Leadbelchers @ 139.0 pts
    - Bellower

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk

2 Ogre Mournfang Cavalry @ 165.0 pts
    - Bellower; Standard Bearer; Ironfist; Heavy Armour; Gleaming Pennant

Giant

Total Roster Cost: 1000.0

The 1500pts list is just adding some stuff to the 1000
    Every list needs the BSB these days, and he's got himself an Irongut retinue (or maybe I'll put the Slaughtermaster in there instead)

Slaughtermaster @ 293.0 pts (General)
    - Level 3: Lore of the Great Maw

Bruiser (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 150.0 pts
    - Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Ironcurse Icon

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts

5 Ironguts @ 235.0 pts
    - Bellower; Standard Bearer;

- Bellower

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk

Giant

Total Roster Cost: 1500.0

The 2000 is the same basic idea, just adding on things to fill it out (ie more Ironguts, an Ironblaster, another Leaddie)

Slaughtermaster @ 333.0 pts (General)
    - Level 4: Lore of the Great Maw
    - Ironfist; Sword of Might; Dispel Scroll

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts

8 Ironguts @ 379.0 pts
    - Bellower; Standard Bearer; Standard of Discipline

4 Leadbelchers @ 82.0 pts
    - Bellower

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk

3 Ogre Mournfang Cavalry @ 235.0 pts

Giant

Ironblaster

Total Roster Cost: 1998.0

And finally, I've got a 2500pts list, which takes advantage of another conversion I've been working on, and will be the most detailed conversion I've done to date, the Hunter. It also has a few more Ogres, and a group of sabres for the Hunter to run around with.

Bruiser (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 181.0 pts
    - Great Weapon; Armour of Fortune; Ironcurse Icon

Hunter @ 185.0 pts
    - Blood Vulture; Sword of Battle; Enchanted Shield; Longstrider

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts

6 Ogres @ 212.0 pts

8 Ironguts @ 379.0 pts

4 Leadbelchers @ 182.0 pts
    - Bellower

5 Sabretusks @ 105.0 pts

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk

Giant

Ironblaster

Total Roster Cost: 2500.0

Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by mpdscott View Post
    I've been slowly building my army, and was mostly done with it (except the required GSing).
    I say "was" because I've been inspired to re-theme and rewrite my list, thanks to my daughter's favourite dvd.
    I'd watched the movie a few dozen times with her, before one of the characters hit me, no not literally, but close enough.

I'd say he looks rather a bit ogre-ish, and it was pretty easy to do the conversion. I had originally intended to run him as just a normal Ogre, but he's been bullying me incessantly, and so now he's a Butcher/Slaughtermaster.

I have had to dismantle a couple of my conversions to use the bodies as standard ogres. I'm not too bothered really, the arms were blutaked on (which was where most of the work was) and I haven't lost the conversion work I did on them, they're just not part of the models anymore.
    My old list was a shooty list, lead by a Firebelly in a Leadbelcher unit, it also included some shooty Maneaters.
    These lists, however, are actually more "traditional" than the previous, but still a little odd since they do have a Giant in the list from the start.

Starting with the 1000pt list
    It's made up mostly of what I have in my boxes, and that includes the Giant; all I have left to get is a couple of Mournfang and the list is good to go.

Butcher @ 178.0 pts (General)
    - Level 2 Upgrade: Lore of the Great Maw
    **Personally at 1000 points, I prefer a firebelly. Lore of Fire is great at that level because of the amount of destruction it can do. Firebellies are cheap, give a breath weapon, hard to kill and have a good lore. Personally, I run firebelly only until about 1500-2000. If you are content on a butcher, I think your gear load out is just fine but you may drop the Magic wep if you need points elsewhere.

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts
    **Are you putting your Butcher here, or with the leads? If you put him here, you can drop 1 ogre and run it 4x2, or you can just run it 3x3 at 9. Either way is just fine. If you don't want your Butcher to be attacked at all, then run Full command in a 3x3 formation and put your butcher in the 2nd rank. He will be well protected there. At 1000 points, not much is going to give him a hard time though. Up to you.

- Bellower
    **Looks good. I personally would rather have 4, but this is 1k points and you have to be stingy!

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk
    **Given your post count, I'm sure you know how to use these correctly. These are by far the best unit in our book and arguably the best unit in warhammer. Lookin good.

**These guys will most likely be your MVP at 1k points. They are tougher than hell and pack a nice wallop. It would be cool if you could run at least 3, or even 4 but again at 1k points you really can't. The banner is a good choice so you can run these away from your general. If you find points elsewhere, which I don't see how unless you drop the Giant, these guys are real rockstars with the Dragonhide banner. But for that high point of banner, you will need at least 3 models to justify the cost of it.

Giant
    **I really like these guys. They are nto very competitive and they usually get shot down, but they are very warhammer like to me. I run one full time in my Frost Gut list. You have to be careful around warmachines and ballistic shooting. If you want to keep him real safe from cannon balls, you can run him behind your Bulls. For a cannon to kill him it will have to kill 3 ogres and then hit the Giant because mosntrous infantry stops cannonballs if they don't die. That will give him some good protection depending on who you are playing. If there is not a lot of range in your opponents list to worry about, then run him on a flank. He is L10 and fast as hell. He will absolutely slaughter monsters such as Abominations and Sphinxes.

**List looks good man. A BSB would be nice but at 1000 points its not really necessary. Use your sabers to delay your opponents big units or to hunt Giant killing warmachines. Other than that, just slam into your opponent! An ironblaster would be better than the Giant, but you have the giant already and they are cool so it is what it is.

Total Roster Cost: 1000.0

The 1500pts list is just adding some stuff to the 1000
    Every list needs the BSB these days, and he's got himself an Irongut retinue (or maybe I'll put the Slaughtermaster in there instead)

Slaughtermaster @ 293.0 pts (General)
    - Level 3: Lore of the Great Maw
    **Looks good. Try to get him Fencer's blades or Glittering scales, or both. That is the superb way to run a slaughtermaster. He will only be hit on 6's by most everything and even the real baddies will only hit him on 5s with both those magic items. On top of that, he heals a wound for every spell he casts. That gear is worth more than a Dispel Scroll and Sword of Striking, imo.

**Looks good.

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts

5 Ironguts @ 235.0 pts
    - Bellower; Standard Bearer;
    **I would put your Slaughtermaster in this unit instead of your BSB. Then buy them the standard of discipline. That will give your general a L9 bubble. With that your leadership problems will dissapear. You can shove the BSB in the bulls.

- Bellower
    **Again, 4 is best. But 3 is not terrible.

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk

Giant

**Since this list is getting up there in points, the MFC are becoming less useful in low numbers. As your points increase, you will need to up their numbers to 3, and then to 4 with a dragonhide banner. Again on the giant, an ironblaster is preferred to be as competitive as possible. If fluff and coolness wins out, then keep the Giant.

Total Roster Cost: 1500.0

The 2000 is the same basic idea, just adding on things to fill it out (ie more Ironguts, an Ironblaster, another Leaddie)

**See comments above for this guy.

**As you increase in points, you may want to think about protection. He is already tough as nails, and can survive well with Trollguts but giving this guy the Armour of Destiny or Deathcheater or something would not be a bad idea.

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts

8 Ironguts @ 379.0 pts
    **Nice job on the Discipline. Put your General here.

4 Leadbelchers @ 82.0 pts
    - Bellower

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk

**Get the dragonhide on these at this point level.

Giant

Ironblaster
    **Glad you finally got one of these in there!

Total Roster Cost: 1998.0

And finally, I've got a 2500pts list, which takes advantage of another conversion I've been working on, and will be the most detailed conversion I've done to date, the Hunter. It also has a few more Ogres, and a group of sabres for the Hunter to run around with.

**See above comments.

Bruiser (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 181.0 pts
    - Great Weapon; Armour of Fortune; Ironcurse Icon
    **Personally I'd rather have the armour of destiny. It's fantastic. Or you can just go with Deathcheater.. That will give you a little protection in a challenge, but not a whole lot. My Bruiser has only died a few times on me and he uses Deathcheater. Only the real nasties ever kill him.

Hunter @ 185.0 pts
    - Blood Vulture; Sword of Battle; Enchanted Shield; Longstrider
    **If you like hunters for fluff reasons and coolness, keep him. He's just like a giant. Not very competitive but a neat model. At this level you should consider a Firebelly in addition to your SM instead of the hunter. Give the Firebelly a hellheart or a ruby ring of ruin, and you'll have a lot more versatility. Firebellies are a lot more bang for their buck in comparison to Hunters. I personally love hunters because of fluff and the model, but even I don't run one of these. But the game is meant to be fun and is a modeling hobby, so pick if you want to be competitive or cool. Competitive would be dropping this guy for a 2nd iron blaster, a firebelly, another mournfang, etc. Even a not so competitive Stonehorn is better than this guy. If you keep him, you may want to buy him a unit of kitties or mount him on a stonehorn. He is just so vulnerable all by himself. Even with one of those two choices, you still may not like his performance.

8 Ogres @ 276.0 pts

6 Ogres @ 212.0 pts

8 Ironguts @ 379.0 pts

4 Leadbelchers @ 182.0 pts
    - Bellower

5 Sabretusks @ 105.0 pts
    **I see these are for the Hunter. Very cool unit, not so competitive. They are Giant level competitiveness. A second Ironblaster and/or firebelly is a much better choice than these and the hunter.

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk
    **At this point level, I'd work on at least 3 single tusks IF you get rid of the 5 above. You'll need that many redirectors etc. Keep in mind you need to keep these guys 6" away from anything else in the army that is not secured with a BSB or high leadership or they'll cause chain panic when shot down.

**Definitely need a dragonhide banner. At this level I wouldn't feel good unless I had 4 models as well.

Giant

Ironblaster
    **These are rock stars. Run as many as you can, which is 2!

Total Roster Cost: 2500.0
    Overall I like your lists. They seem really fun. As far as formations, I personally think Monstrous Infantry are best run in ranks of 4. You get more impact hits, stomps, and attacks at the cost of rank bonuses and character protection (if you were to run full command and force a character into the 2nd rank). I'm more aggressive than defensive in my play style.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

Thanks for that.
    I've been trying to figure out how I could swap the Giant for an Ironblaster in each list, in the event I need to get competitive.
    But the points are just awkward.
    Anyway, I've found my old camera, and am charging the batteries for it, so over the next couple of days (hopefully) I'll have pre-GS WIPs up in a project log.
    For all intents and purposes, the 1000pt list is built; except for the mournfangs, I still need to get my hands on some funds for those.

As a bonus for the project log, I'll include the 3 (single pistol) Maneaters I converted for the old list, and the BSB I built just the other day when I found an extra body in my boxes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Awesome man! Get a Gnoblog started or a project thread here. Let me know when they're up!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

332 (x7)

Here you go

+ Reply to Thread