<2000 First ever ogre force 2000pts - Page 3 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Its ok but I like the list with just one unit of ironguts and two thundertusk.

Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Me to i looked and sure 2 units of iron guts is awesome but i i just like hit hard and be the only thing still standing also 2 mobile stone throwers is pretty awesome and the harpoon guns can take down monsters to

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

What aim do you have for that butcher?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Dunno he is there as a wizard lol guess the spells in the great maw are all quite good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Hi all so i have tested this list (very heavierly proxied) against 3 lists a horde skaven list, A lizardmen list and a high elf list.

The list did very well 1 win 2 draws (beat skaven).

So what i learned the thundertusks rock against toughness 3 the ice spheres did loads against the high elves and skaven i used them against the big hordes.

Impact hits are mental good i put both morn fang into a big block of white lions and ruined the death star stupid stubbon lions the big block of ironguts is great they really smash every unit they face and on alot of occasions did enough damage to break stead fast.

The bubble for asl is great the high elves losing re rolls is great.

Downsides the list struggles in the magic that is the only reason i drew the games is the magical dominance of my opponents its just something my list will have to struggle with stupid.

All in all i am very happy with how the list runs at 2500 i would upgrade to a slaughter master and take a block of bulls

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by d_k_patt View Post
    Hi all not sure how busy the ogre forum is but I have a list for your perusal.

Hero

Butcher armour of destiny great weapon level 2
    194pts

Bruiser heavy armour, enchanted shield, Tali of pres, bsb
    184pts

Core

10 iron guts full command standard of discipline both characters here wizard in second rank.

10 gnoblars just to fill minimum core

Special

4 mornfang heavy armour iron fist standard
    290pts

4 mornfang heavy armour iron fist standard
    290pts

Saber

Saber

Rare

Thundertusks

Thundertusks

Total 2000pts on the dot

So comments welcome
    Ok, came here straight from your other thread. Looking at this list it seems good but limited, you have very few drops, very few models, and in the end that means you're likely to be outnumbered, outgunned, and overrun. Against the likes of Skaven, which you mentioned you play tested against, you're golden. Same with other horde armies. Against Lizardmen, Warriors, Dwarves, any Elves, even Empire... this list will struggle. Here are a few suggested changes I'd make, for keeping the same basic theme and utility for this army, but you'll likely have the same issues regardless.

General - Butcher w/ Armour Of Destiny, Ironfist, Level 2 - 188 Points
    Hero - Bruiser BSB w/ Heavy Armour, Talisman Of Protection, Ironfist - 183 Points
    Hero - Bruiser w/ Heavy Armour, Sword Of Strife, Enchanted Shield - 154 Points
    Core - 10x Ogre Bulls w/ Full Command, Ironfists (put Butcher & BSB here) - 350 Points
    Core - 5x Ironguts w/ No Upgrades (put second Bruiser here) - 215 Points
    Special - 6x Mornfang Cavalry w/ Heavy Armour, Ironfists - 420 Points
    Rare - Thundertusk - 250 Points
    Rare - Thundertusk - 250 Points

Total - 2000 Points Exactly

Now, this set up gets rid of the Gnoblars and Sabertusks for the sake of a second block of Ogres. That feels like a fair trade but it's still giving you very limited drops so beware on deployment. Your standard Ogre Bulls are a good tarpit and can hold their own in combat. Running them 4-wide with 3 ranks as you suggested you would, they'll be kicking out 4 S5 Attacks at WS5 on Initiative 3 followed by 22 S4 Attacks at WS3 on Initiative 2, as well as stomp and impact hits. The Ironguts would be a good hammer unit, run 3 wide you'll get 6 S5 Attacks at WS5 on Initiative 3 then 16 S6 Attacks at WS3 at Always Strikes Last, as well as stomps and impacts.

The Bulls are doing on average 12 hits, averaging 4-6 wounds depending on toughness, about half of which will likely be saved. So expect 2-3 kills on rank and file on an average round. You'll get 2 ranks, plus banner for an average combat resolution of around 6+, which will see off most things.

The Ironguts are doing on average 13 hits, averaging around 5-7 wounds depending on toughness, about 1/3 of which will save due to high strength. Expect about 3-5 kills on rank and file on an average round. You'll have a rank bonus of 1 but that's all, so combat res of about 5+, which is good, but flank charging would add +2 and be likely to cause more wounds from impact hits. A well placed charge will see combat res of 8+ on average. Combining the charge with the Bulls will break all but the largest hordes.

Lastly there's the Mournfang which I feel work better as a single large unit of 6 running 3 wide. You'll be getting 19 S4 Attacks and 12 S5 Attacks all on WS 3 at Initiative 2. That's an average of 17 hits, averaging 7-8 wounds, which 1/3 to 1/2 of those will save depending on armour. That's about 3-5 kills on rank and file on average. You'd get +1 for rank and +1 for banner so they can expect an average comat res of about 6+. On the charge this can easily reach 8-9+ depending on impact hits.

All of the above is assuming a well equiped tarpit unit, Something with heavy armour and shields. Facing lightly armoured foe you'll almost double the expected woulds for each unit and on the charge will regularly expect to see comat resolution in the double figures from all three main units.

This army is admittedly very one-note, and they will rely somewhat on the Thundertusks for support, but at 2000 points you're unlikely to face hordes of Chaos Warriors, multi-ranked units of Demigryph Knights, or even very many big monsters. Rather more likely is blocks of elite infantry, hordes of cheap infantry, smalk units of monstrous infantry and monstrous cavalry, and 1-2 rank units of standard cavalry. None of those will reliably be able to match the Ogres in damage output. It's a small elite force, but it's scary.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

i have now playtested against a chaos army and i thumped them all because of the ASL bubble i kept my line tight impacted the hell out of them.

Big block of warriors halberds nurgle (i hate them) i was hitting on 5's but i managed to get the troll guts off and because of my thundertusk they were also asl i whomped them with my very large ogre hammers lol never seen a block of 30 warriors crumble so quickly accept against white lions but they had the toughness and wounds to take the hits back though regen helped massively i continue to grow in awe of the mornfang they will bludgeon there way through most things

I am happy with the list wish i could fit a level 4 but sadly cant lol also great sugestions but the butcher needs the leadership boost for the army.
    Last edited by d_k_patt; November 5th, 2014 at 13:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123