What to buy after battalion??? New guy here :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to buy after battalion??? New guy here :)

Hey I am getting into fantasy, and ogres are my chosen. Their fattyness is so...exquisite???

Anyways I am looking to start at 1k with friend and that's how they play tourneys here (also at 1.5k). I am buying the battalion at wayland games, but what to donext and how should my list look?. I am thinking of adding some mourns fang cavalry, but what else. And with these in mind, what should my list look like??? Thanks guys...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A butcher and some mournfangs will be just about 1k points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the battalion box that is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

And after that, an Ironblaster, those things are destruction on wheels.
    For your 1.5k games, with some other stuff too.
    May the Dragon of Unhappiness never fly up your bottom.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Sabertusks are probably the most important army piece for low point or high point games. I'd buy at least 4 and run them solo as redirectors / war machine hunters. 20ish points a piece, they are a no brainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mourns fang cavalry???? Thoughts on those guys, should I pick up a few??? Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'm definitely picking up an iron blaster and sabres after the battalion. Haven't decided for hero...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by KingBurrito View Post
    Mourns fang cavalry???? Thoughts on those guys, should I pick up a few??? Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'm definitely picking up an iron blaster and sabres after the battalion. Haven't decided for hero...
    IMO, Mournfang Cavalry are just awesome. I run 4 in my 3k list (and did even at 2k) with the Dragonhide Banner. They just annihilate anything they can get a charge on! Equip them with Ironfists for that 2+ armour save and 6+ parry save.

For a hero, I would buy a slaughtermaster. In lower point games you can run him as a Butcher but as you grow your list, you can run him as a Slaughtermaster (L4). Also, Firebellys are great! Ogre Magic really lacks the destruction that other lores provide. Mostly the lore of the great maw is buffs and such to make your troops better but doesn't really pack a punch from a distance. A Firebelly can help remedy this by giving you access to Fireball which will wreck regenerating monsters and other stuff. I run a Slaughtermaster, a Firebelly and a Bruiser BSB at 3000 points.

Check my Frost Ogre Tribe link in my signature for a run down of my army. I believe it is very optimal for competition and I have a great record with it so far. Make sure you run your Sabertusks as loners. Meaning, 1 model per unit. With 4 of them, you can redirect and slow stuff down which will make sure your Ogres get the charge (which gives them a very large advantage in combat, especially Mournfangs). Also, slowing down your opponents troops will give your ranged stuff a chance to shine such as leadbelchers, ironblasters etc.

****Just in case you are new (I have no idea if you are) to fantasy, I suggest you study this technique - http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/...direction.html That will show you how to use those Sabertusks to their full potential. Make sure you read the comments from the people at the bottom, it goes into it a little more. 21 points for a redirector that has the statline of a Sabertusk is just stupidly good. They are probably the best redirector in the game of Warhammer with Chaos Warhounds probably being 2nd, and High Elves Eagles being third (these are great for redirecting because they can fly but they are a hefty 50 points a piece which is why I rank them 3rd). Also, having those tusks will allow you to out deploy your enemy during the special unit placement.

*******Keep in mind that if your army points are under 3000 points you can only have a maximum of 3 sabertusks (assuming they are separate units, as you should run them). Once you hit 3000 points such as my Frost Tribe list, you can have up to 6 single sabertusk units. There are limits to duplicate choices.
    Last edited by AshBorn; November 6th, 2012 at 04:43.

+ Reply to Thread