Skin Deep - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do ogres look better in grey, or skin color?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flesh Color

10 45.45%
  • Grey

12 54.55%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skin Deep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Skin Deep

Okay, so, I noticed a while back a slightly irritating trend with the rulebook/studio army asthetic in WHFB. Almost every army has suddenly become pink and fleshy. Now, I came to expect this with all three elves,dwarves, humans, WOC, and to a certain extent skaven, but Beastmen and Ogres too? Luckily for the Beasties no poll was neccessary for me, the cloven ones clearly look far better with fur colors IMO, but I'm not one hundie on the Ogres. True I'm used to the classic grey look, but the flesh look may be growing on me. Bottomline, now I can't decide.
    So what's your opinion LO?. Is it better to think pink? or is it a gray area on the matter?

" Are you gonna bark all day little doggy,
    or are you gonna bite? "

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the grey skin color. It's part of what drew me to Ogres as a WFB army and I feel it distinguishes Ogres from just very large, very ugly humans

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Blonde View Post
    True I'm used to the classic grey look, but the flesh look may be growing on me. Bottomline, now I can't decide.
    So what's your opinion LO?. Is it better to think pink? or is it a gray area on the matter?
    I don't know why you consider grey 'classic'. They always used to be flesh coloured, then GW went through a brief grey phase, and now they're back to being flesh coloured. I prefer that because I don't like random changes, just as I don't like the way all Lizardmen now seem to be blue even though most of them used to be green when the army first appeared in 5th edition... (But, of course, I don't object to others painting their models however they like: go blue and orange stripes if you want...)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x1)

I painted my ogres Kommando Khaki (karak stone) with a brown ink wash. I think they look much better than the flesh colored ones. The flesh colored ones look like fat, hairless mental health patients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Captmonocle View Post
    I painted my ogres Kommando Khaki (karak stone) with a brown ink wash. I think they look much better than the flesh colored ones. The flesh colored ones look like fat, hairless mental health patients.
    Hilrious. I actually laughed out loud.I'm curious to see what your paint scheme wouldlook like. How heavy do you go on the wash, because it seems that theese two colors are very contrasting and would be easy to clash. I'd love to see a pic.

Also, to the gent above. The Ogre Kingdoms army was always Grey. Their previous incarnations as DOW units like Golfag's maneaters etc. were seperate from the Ogre Kingdoms, and they did not appear in the original army book. That is probably why many folks consider the Grey skin 'classsic'.
    " Are you gonna bark all day little doggy,
    or are you gonna bite? "

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Except that the Ogre Kingdoms army is only 1 armybook edition old. So they've always been fleshy, and then they got their armybook and all turned grey. Now they're back to being flesh. The precedent was that Ogres are skin-toned, except for one book where they are grey.

Personally, I prefer them in flesh tones. Not to say that I want them to be the same color as Empire soldiers - as 'modern racist' as it may seem, I like to see Ogres done in asian flesh tones, a bit more yellow than pink. I forget how to do it with GW colors, but it's possible if you really struggle. I have a bunch of Samurai/Japanese to do, and I use Vallejo - they have a wider range of skin tones, but I've also found their paints to be a little easier to blend and water down. I plan to do my Ogres as Maori, from New Zealand, with the face tattoos. Like most pacific islanders, even a strong Maori can have some "bulk" to them and Ogre models are large enough to make detailed tattooing easier.

CoolMiniOrNot Forums -
    Here's a link for the flesh-tones chart that I use. It's all Vallejo paints though, and surprisingly few of them are actual skin tones. The idea is there though, in that it gives you some nice base colors for each race.. It's best to actually use blues, greens, and reds when working on skin. Asian tends to use green, african/black skin uses blue, and everything else is usually some amount red with finer shading in blue/green.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x1)

Picture quality probably could be better, but that would require a better camera.
    BRAGG THE GUTSMAN.jpgFIRE BELLY.jpgIRONGUTS.jpgLEADBELCHERS.jpgSKRAG THE SLAUGHTERER.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

That's how I see Ogres as Maori's lol because they love their food & we love our food (by the way, i'm Maori myself hehe) & so does my brother that's why he chose Ogres & Captmonocule I like your painted models... it's way better than me hehe. Oh REP for your painting & REP to CaptainSarathai from a Maori hehe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Mine are actually multi racial. I have a few white, a few Asian, and a few black ogres.

+ Reply to Thread