To Tyrant or not to Tyrant - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Tyrant or not to Tyrant

Hi all,

Recently played a game where I kitted out my Ogre Tyrant to be over 300some points. He had 7 atks and a ward among other things.

I played a lizardmen who ran two Scar Vets (or whatever the Hero Lvl is called) who where "Lone wolfin" it on cold ones. He charged into my tyrant and was putting one wound on per turn while saving all of mine. "he had a 1+, 4++".

After holding me and my ironguts for 2 turns, he charged in his stegadon with sharpened horns or whatever that gives him d3 wounds per impact. Rolled 6 for impacts, caused 4 wounds and did 11 wounds.

I have 2 questions:
    1. Do you find it worthwhile to have to even take a tyrant at the cost of 8 ironguts or 10 bulls?
    2. How would remove the ironguts from the charge? is it 3 models removed and 2 more wounds or does each dice go on a different ogre? Also does he really get 11 to combat res or just 4?

Thanks.

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

My friend has a Tyrant build that still give me shivers.
    Tyrant, giant breaker, Greedy fist, Heavy armour, enchanted shield and the sword of swift slaying.
    A cannon will ruin him or a hardy lord, but I have yet to kill the guy in combat, even with warriors.
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by HAB_Incognito View Post
    Hi all,

Recently played a game where I kitted out my Ogre Tyrant to be over 300some points. He had 7 atks and a ward among other things.

I played a lizardmen who ran two Scar Vets (or whatever the Hero Lvl is called) who where "Lone wolfin" it on cold ones. He charged into my tyrant and was putting one wound on per turn while saving all of mine. "he had a 1+, 4++".

After holding me and my ironguts for 2 turns, he charged in his stegadon with sharpened horns or whatever that gives him d3 wounds per impact. Rolled 6 for impacts, caused 4 wounds and did 11 wounds.

I have 2 questions:
    1. Do you find it worthwhile to have to even take a tyrant at the cost of 8 ironguts or 10 bulls?
    2. How would remove the ironguts from the charge? is it 3 models removed and 2 more wounds or does each dice go on a different ogre? Also does he really get 11 to combat res or just 4?

Thanks.

1. Are you sure they were cold ones, and not carnosaurs? I can't see cold one heroes, doing that much damage.

2. Thanks to 8th, level 4 generals are the norm, so a tyrant will be pushed into a 2nd lord support role.

3. According to page 45 of the WHRB, multi-wound models must suffer their max wounds, before the model is removed. You can't spread the wounds across the unit.

4. Rules for calculating the combat result, are found on page 52-53, of the WHRB. So, to answer your question :

a. 1 CR for each wound inflicted.

b. 1CR for charging.

etc ...

So, yes, it's 11CR.

I worship Khorne ... every 28 days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

Saurus scar vet Armour of destiny cold one great weapon comes in at 154pts and will eat most lords for breakfast with a 1+ 4++ strength 7 4 attacks basic this guy is mental good.

as for Combat res you are correct its wounds inflicted though thats a good charge for a steg. Remember though as long as you have ranks your stead fast and test at full leadership.

I find tyrants to pricey for what they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go for Tyrants myself. Mostly because I have really bad luck with slaughtmasters, they more often then not die before they do anything. Mostly dieing from miscasts.

That said you can made pretty good builds with a tyrant. I've played around with a few builds, I kind of like using the sword of anti-heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRider76 View Post
    3. According to page 45 of the WHRB, multi-wound models must suffer their max wounds, before the model is removed. You can't spread the wounds across the unit.
    Very good reason to have your own rule book. Not only is this an common mistake that people make, cheaters will try to spread wounds as far as they can.

+ Reply to Thread