New to ogres - Page 2 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to ogres

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

thanks for Joining in Spike i assume you play ogres?

really Bulls over iron guts i have heard nothing but Iron guts??

I was thinking butcher in armour of destiny great weapon?

Did you mean to say stone horns? I love the thunder tusks love the ASL bubble good tough wounds think its odd they have no impact hits at all, also love the hapoon hello monster killer .

I agree on mornfangs thing the are a great model to.

Love the iron blaster don't love my misfortune with misfire (i possess the worst like i have more turn one explosions than anyone in the world) an as such steer away from big guns now.

would you look at my list in the army list page tell me your thoughts please?

Many thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

If you're still looking tor feedback on this, heres my take.

1. I love the look and theme of Ironguts but yeah, standard Ogre Bulls are better. Ironguts are 43pts/model but Bulls are just 32pts/model (with Ironfists), for literally the same statline. You're paying 11pts/model more for Ironguts and all you're getting is +1 Leadership and Great Weapons. Unless you're facing heavily armoured foe (Warriors Of Chaos), or expect to see a lot of monsters you really don't need S6 hits, S4 will do fine. Especially as Ironguts get a 5+ armour save, but Bulls with Ironfists are rocking a 5+ armour AND a 6+ parry, so they're perversely harder to kill. Really, unless you plan to do something specific with the Ironguts magic banner allowance; it's just not worth it. The "Gutstar" may be popular, but that's usually so the characters can get the benefits of two magic banners; one from the unit and one from the BSB. In almost all other situations standard Ogre Bulls are better, especially if your opponent is using great weapons. Initiative 2 may seem crap, but it beats out undead and anything with great weapons.

Edit: Had to go in a hurry, finishing post now.

2. Thundertusks, I feel are hugely underrated. They're competing with the incredible Ironblaster, one of the best cannons in the game, so naturally few notice them. That said it's a great model, it's go good tactical options, it's also both a stone thrower and a bolt thrower as well as a monster/chariot thing. I think two Thundertusks would be a genuinely cool challenge at 2000 points and your opponent will likely consider you rather sporting for choosing to not bring Ironblasters. If you want to really make a show of it, a Hunter mounted on a Stonehorn would come out of your character allowance; so you can include the Stonehorn AND two Thundertusks, all in 2000 points. Though be aware you will be outnumbered with three big monsters like that on the field.

3. Butcher w/ Armour Of Destiny is definitely a good choice. Should be pretty sturdy and will do well in a unit. Not sure I'd bother with the great weapon though. I'd rather get the Ironfist and up the armour and ward saves further. Having a 4+/3++ is pretty sweet I'd say and it'll help him out no end.
    Last edited by TornadoCreator; November 4th, 2014 at 11:35.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

How would the butcher get a 3++ you can't boost the ward wards don't combine like armour. He would be in rank behind the front swinging from behind.

I fight alot of heavily armoured opponents and high toughness opponents. I prefer the look of the model I like the gut plates and helmets the iron guts wear and bulls don't have that though bulls with the armour and stuff would be cool and would benefit more from the thunder tusks

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by d_k_patt View Post
    How would the butcher get a 3++ you can't boost the ward wards don't combine like armour. He would be in rank behind the front swinging from behind.

I fight alot of heavily armoured opponents and high toughness opponents. I prefer the look of the model I like the gut plates and helmets the iron guts wear and bulls don't have that though bulls with the armour and stuff would be cool and would benefit more from the thunder tusks
    Ward saves combine with Parry. Ogres with Ironfists get to Parry. This is pretty much the whole reason Tzeentch Warriors are so handy going sword + board. Parries are, as far as I'm aware, included in ward saves but by all means tell me if I'm wrong; it's a pretty massive issue if I've got this wrong.

Armour Of Destiny gives a 5+/4++, adding an Ironfist counts as a shield and gives you +1 to your armour and a parry (even when mounted), therefore, that gives you a 4+/3++ on the Butcher. I've rechecked the BRB and the Ogre Army Book and there's no rules that say parry saves cannot be combined with other ward saves that I can see.
    Current Armies: Warriors/Beastmen: 5000+ Pts. Chaos Dwarfs: 3000 Pts. Brets: 2000 Pts.
    Ogre Kingdom: 2000 Pts. Undead Legion: 2000 Pts. Kislev Contingent: 1500 Pts.
    Retired/Sold Armies: Dark Elves: 3000 Pts. Orcs & Goblins: 2000 Pts.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoCreator View Post
    Ward saves combine with Parry. Ogres with Ironfists get to Parry. This is pretty much the whole reason Tzeentch Warriors are so handy going sword + board. Parries are, as far as I'm aware, included in ward saves but by all means tell me if I'm wrong; it's a pretty massive issue if I've got this wrong.

Armour Of Destiny gives a 5+/4++, adding an Ironfist counts as a shield and gives you +1 to your armour and a parry (even when mounted), therefore, that gives you a 4+/3++ on the Butcher. I've rechecked the BRB and the Ogre Army Book and there's no rules that say parry saves cannot be combined with other ward saves that I can see.
    I think you're wrong. MoT stacks with a Parry, but that's a special case detailed in the MoT entry in the WoC book. I don't see anywhere that says that Parries combine with other ward saves.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

You are wrong unfortunately mark of tzeencth grants a +1 to the ward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, will two battalion boxes and maybe a character or two (and if so who), be a good starting point?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

in theory you could use a couple of models in the box and convert the characters (thats what i did) but thats a nice sturdy list will plenty of punch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12