New to ogres - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to ogres

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

New to ogres

Hi all I am a complete ogre noob only faced once. So I have a few questions

What's better a level 2 butcher or fire belly as the only wizard in an army?

Are thundertusks good like the idea of them?

Are mornfang good and are they better with great weapons or iron fists for 2+6+?

And if a butcher can take an iron fist can they have magic armour?

Many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Like most armies a LVL4 is needed but at low pts I would go for a fire belly just for the breath weapon.
    Thunder tusk are good if you use them right like a lot of things really, I prefer the stonehorn myself due to the massive impact (pun intended) it can have while charging.
    Mornfang are very good lots of attacks good save. I would always go for the iron fist as a 2+ is much better than a 3+ and a 6++ in combat is not bad aswell. They like everything in the ogre army bar a few choices need the charge for all those S5 impact hits.
    Last but not least yes Ogre Wizards can take magic armour (not fire belly) so you can have Glitering scales and fencers blades, armour of silvered steel etc.

Hope this helps, I don't even play ogres myself but my mate does and has done very well with them.
    Also an over looked unit are the maneaters who can be amazing with a LVL 4 great maw as regen is so, so, so good on ogres.

Lucas
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

I was thinking of a level 2, BSB 10 Iron guts both characters here 2 saber tusks 8 mornfang in 2 units of 4 and 2 thunder tusks at 2000pts thoughs on that?

I have played games at 2000pts with only a level 2 and normally fair well. However it is defiantly needed at over 2k.

I am trying to decide between ogres and lizards as my new council of war project.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

I will say Ogres are good, but lizardmen are better, but that is my opinion. The issue with the LvL2 is he is the general and only LD7 with the +1 Ld banner that not much to keep an army in order.

Don't get me wrong the list you have looks good, its just the LD thing that bothers me. Maybe you should be winning every combat to not have to worry about it.
    Give it a try if you already have the models.

Also use the army you can see yourself using in the future, not just for the sake of it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Well my lizard list is up in the lizard forum.

Funny the leadership thing was my only concern with the list and the lack of models.

Don't know if i could squeez in a level 4 also a level 4 cant take a great weapon. Tbh if i am not winning combat i am not winning the game with this list. but yeah on LD 8 is poor at best.

Theme wise i was gunna be a well paid mercenary group that work for the Karaks of the dwarfs hence the heavy armoured army that it will be.

The idea with the Iron guts is to have champ musician and standard and push the wizard to the second rank? Wizard equipped as follows armour of destiny great weapon. I need to postition well with the mornfang their victory will rely on getting the charge.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Ogre wizards are hard to kill go 4 wide and he will kill a lot of guys aswell.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

It is 4 wide bsb and command and he only has 3 attacks so hiding behind is good no?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Yeah I forgot about the bsb. Should be fine. Do you already have the models?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Not yet the idea is a slow build project. So need a list I like and that can work.

Annoyingly no one has commented on my lizard list lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

You have asked the same questions all of us still ask after every game.

Ogre book is, IMHO, one of the best written books in GWs library. Every role has a lot of great competition, and nothing in the book is useless at all, save maybe yhettis.

My current feelings are-
    Firebelly. Fire, as a lore, is great. Fire cloak and sword of rhuin make bulls scary. Maw is also great. Its kind of a season to taste choice. If you go fire, take the great weapon.

I love stonehorns. The ASL bubble is absolutely devastating if you place it right.

Oh good lord are mournfangs good. Some say broken. I like the 2+/6++ over great weapons. They are really hard to kill that way.

Yep. You get magic armor on butchers. I recommend grits sickle or hellheart first though. You are t5 and regen wounds on cast. No need to wear armor.

And before you ask it, iron fist bulls (ogres to people who start off with this edition) before ironguts, all day.

Also, learn to love the iron blaster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast