Ridell's Mordheim Campaign Blog (Asrai) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Ridell's Mordheim Campaign Blog

***EDIT*** Thread title is misleading, this thread also contains my experiences with the Sisters of Sigmar ***EDIT***

Wow this place is quiet, but no matter. Even if I'm all alone in here with my thoughts, I'll try and keep the candle lit for any others that might wander into this desolate part of LO.

I am currently engaged in a campaign of Mordheim where the objective is to capture 8 out of 10 regions from other warbands, winning them one place at a time with all of them giving some boon every campaign turn for the one holding them. Naturally everyone starts with 0 areas under their control. Five of the places are inside Mordheim, using the scenarios given in the main rulebook, whilst the other five are in the surrounding wilderness and thus use the scenarios in Empire in Flames.

The areas are as follows:

Mordheim:
    - Silver Street (+1 to the Ld of defending warband)
    - Slave Market (2d6 gc / campaign turn)
    - Market Square (The Rarity of one item can be temporarily decreased by 1d3 once / campaign turn)
    - Smithy ( 1d6 gc away from the price of one weapon/armor you want to buy / campaign turn)
    - Temple (Modify one die of one Serious Injury roll by +1/-1 / post-battle sequence)

Wilderness:
    - Mine (1 Shard of Wyrdstone / campaign turn)
    - Witch's Hut (One free Witch's Brew / battle)
    - Training Grounds (+1 xp to one hero/henchman group / campaign turn; any hero/henchman group can only benefit from this once and only once)
    - Farmstead (+1 to the maximum size of your warband)
    - Mercenary Camp (+1 to rolls to find any Hired Sword or Dramatis Personae)

Other house rules include:
    - Hired Swords are sought in a manner identical to that of Dramatis Personae
    - There are no underdog bonuses. If one Warband's rating is over 50 higher than the others, then the larger warband must leave out units until the difference is 50 or less (personally I disagree with this, but oh well...)
    - Experimental Warbands are allowed if shown to other players for approval before campaign starts
    - Models may only have one melee weapon if they have a ranged weapon; brace of pistols counts as one ranged weapon (again I disagree, but oh well...)
    - No alliances; it's every gang for themselves!
    - The warband with the lowest rating gets to challenge someone first, and challenges are worked upwards from there but if you get challenged you don't get to challenge and you can't be challenged again. Basically everyone fights one match every campaign round (This rule I find weird because then no warband with a big rating will ever get to challenge anyone and thus won't be able to win the campaign... I'll have to talk about this with the rest of the group)

Enough background, on to introduce my Warband!

Starting Warband (Asrai; 500 gc)

Way-Warden "Larion" (20 xp)
    M5 WS5 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I6 A1 Ld9
    Leader
    - Glade-wood bow
    - Sword
    - Deerhide Leather Armor
    = 130 gc

Spellwalker "Hatas é Myiaton" (12 xp)
    M5 WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
    Wizard [Call of the Hunt]
    - Longbow
    - Sword
    = 70 gc

Wild Hunter "Narail" (12 xp)
    M5 WS4 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
    Spirit Totem [Aspect of the Stag]; Beast Empathy
    - Longbow
    - Bladestaff
    - Deerhide Leather Armor
    = 85 gc

Pathfinder "Rualaer" (8 xp)
    M5 WS3 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
    Natural Stealth
    - Longbow
    - Sword
    = 65 gc

Pathfinder "Marariad" (8 xp)
    Natural Stealth
    - Longbow
    - Sword
    = 65 gc

2x Wolfhound
    Beast Companion, Animal, Pack Sense
    = 40 gc

1x Glade Warrior
    - Longbow
    = 45 gc

Members: 8
    Rating: 100

I use the Asrai Way-farers Warband found here.

Other Warbands currently involved in the campaign are: Beastmen, Possessed and Reikland Mercenaries, with Norse Explorers (from the Border Town Burning supplement) joining in probably next time.

Warband now after 3 games:

Way-Warden "Larion" (28 xp) [training grounds used]
    M5 WS5 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I7 A1 Ld9
    Leader; Quick Shot
    - Glade-wood bow
    - Asrai Bladestaff
    - Arrows of Blood Ivy
    - Deerhide Leather Armor

Spellwalker "Hatas é Myiaton" (15 xp)
    M5 WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
    Wizard [Call of the Hunt (9)]; Sorcery
    - Longbow
    - Sword

Wild Hunter "Narail" (17 xp)
    M5 WS4 BS4 S3 T3 W2 I5 A1 Ld8
    Spirit Totem [Aspect of the Stag]; Beast Empathy; Step Aside
    - Longbow
    - Asrai Bladestaff
    - Deerhide Leather Armor
    - Hunting Arrows
    - Falcon
    - Forest Familiar

Pathfinder "Rualaer" (12 xp)
    Natural Stealth; Trick Shooter
    - Longbow
    - Sword
    - Hunting Arrows

Pathfinder "Marariad" (13 xp)
    Natural Stealth; Trick Shooter
    - Longbow
    - Sword
    - Hunting Arrows

2x Wolfhound

1x Hunting Cat
    Beast Companion, Animal, Pounce

2x Glade Warrior
    - Longbow

Members: 10
    Rating: 141
    Areas controlled ( 3/10 ): Slave Market, Market Square, Training Grounds

All in all I've been pleased with the performance of my hippy-elves, even though my Way-Warden apparently can't hit the broad side of a barn except by accident. This has resulted in him having taken only one enemy OoA. The Wild Hunter, on the other hand, with his animal companions, has been the bane of many Beastmen; so much so that he's been nicknamed "Darth Maul" by the rest of the group!

I've also come to learn that a Difficulty 9 spells are darn hard to get off even with the Sorcery skill, so I'll be investing into a Familiar for my Spellwalker after the next battle; see if a little bit of rerolling will help.

Both the Possessed and the Beastmen managed to get the same spell "Eye of God" which makes me a little worried about all that potential T5 action early on in the campaign. Luckily, though, they have been pretty good at rolling those 1s and ended up knocking their own models out of the battle.

Last edited by Ridell; March 28th, 2011 at 22:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Last Sunday the group gathered for a day of Mordheim and -as predicted- the Norse joined the fray, as did a band of Orcs, much to our pleasant surprise. Most of us got in two games that day, myself included, and I did fairly good with a win and a loss.

The first game was against the Possessed warband with a Magister, two mutants both with an extra arm (one had a Chaos Armor, the other a Daemon Weapon!), two Possessed, two Warhounds, three Beastmen and a hired Witch. The Possessed warband challeneged me for the ownership of the Slave Market and the scenario ended up being "Hidden Treasure".

Luck was not at all on my side as I managed to only ever take OoA one of his Warhounds as he was hugging cover like crazy and also managed to roll a 6 on Eye of God to one of his Beastmen... to make matters worse, that very same Beastman had gotten +1T from the Witch's potion, granting him a staggering T6 and no less than THREE wounds! As if that wasn't enough, the Random Happenings table ended up showing high winds (-1 to ALL to-hit rolls and I-tests for the remainder of the battle) so against his far superior WS I didn't stand a chance and got soundly trounced and Routed. Revenge, however, will be mine later!

Much to my chagrin, Marariad, my other Pathfinder, ended up actually dying so I had to replace her with a new one. Oh well, at least I had a spare Longbow lying around, what with my Spellwalker being always busy trying to cast his one spell ( even with Sorcery, it's darn hard to get a Difficulty 9 spell off x_x )

The second game I actually finally got the chance to challenge someone. I briefly considered facing off against the Possessed again in hopes of exacting vengeance, but thought better of it and challenged instead the Beastmen for the ownership of the Farmstead they had just managed to acquire in a battle against the Orcs.

The scenario was "Lost in the Bogs" from the Empire in Flames supplement and -since he was defending his place- he automatically was the one lost in the bogs. His warband is quite fierce in close combat, including a Fear-causing Chieftain, Shaman (with a tentacle arm mutation), Centigor, Minotaur (yikes!) and four spear-toting Ungors. He deployed into the middle of the board -containing a small water terrain-thingy as the bog- and I deployed to a board edge from which I could place my Pathfinders into a tower and my Way-warden, Spellweaver and both Glade Warriors onto a battlement. Wild Hunter deployed neext to some trees with his trusty wolves, whilst the cat stayed close to the Way-warden next to a wall; all four of them ready to lunge at the Chieftain on the first turn.

Right from the start I came to notice that Fear is a major annoyance, as only one wolf and the cat managed to charge at the beastman Chieftain, my Wild Hunter failing his Ld-test despite me using the re-roll of the Forest Familiar! In shooting I managed to stun two of his Ungors and close combat wasn't any better as my animals failed miserably, but luckily so did the Chieftain.

My next round saw misfortune once again as Random Happenings landed onto my turn and I rolled up the d66, getting a result of 25; The Twisting of the Air, which basically increased all distances (shooting, charging, etc.) by d6 (rolled on every player's turn) for d3 rounds. And so my Wild Hunter -despite succeeding his Fear- was out of range of the Chieftain and was to endure a counter-charge from an Ungor due to his failed charge. Somehow my Way-wardenwas failing once again quite spectacularly, not managing to do anything to the big honkin' Minotaur, though miraculously my Glade Warriors managed to take out the Centigor o.O

The Wild Hunter was also doing pretty good, surviving the charge from the Ungor and managing to curb-stomp the little goatman quite easily. From this point on my recollection of the events is rather hazy as it was getting quite late and I wasn't actively making any notes. Short of the story is, I lost one wolf and one cat in the on-going close combat with the Chieftain and the Minotaur. The Shaman managed to join the fray around the same-ish time as my Wild Hunter, reducing his attacks by one due to the tentacle arm.

I was quite certain I'd be done for due to the presence of the Minotaur and the general inefficiency of my shooting, but luck was on my side as the Shaman cast Eye of God on the Minotaur and promptly rolled a 1, taking the Minotaur instantly OoA instead of boosting him to insane levels. Eventually -after several rounds of heated battle where my Wild Hunter was Stepping Aside and Parrying like crazy- I managed to take out his Shaman and he failed his Rout-test, landing me a hard-fought victory.

Unfortunately for him, his Centigor bit the bullet permanently, whereas my Hunting Cat died.

Everyone agreed that the WH is far luckier than he should be, and they all wait for the day when his luck runs out. To help avoid that day for as long as possible, I opted to get him a Lucky Charm and a Rope&Hook, as well as recruiting a new Hunting Cat and a Wardancer. Now I just hope I can make the Wardancer a hero; darn Long Lived special rule!

Warband now after 5 games:

Way-Warden "Larion" (31 xp) [training grounds used]
    M5 WS5 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I7 A1 Ld9
    Leader; Quick Shot
    - Glade-wood bow
    - Asrai Bladestaff
    - Arrows of Blood Ivy
    - Deerhide Leather Armor
    - Rope&Hook

Spellwalker "Hatas é Myiaton" (18 xp) [training grounds used]
    M5 WS4 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
    Wizard [Call of the Hunt (9)]; Sorcery
    - Sword

Wild Hunter "Narail" (21 xp)
    M5 WS4 BS4 S3 T3 W2 I6 A1 Ld8
    Spirit Totem [Aspect of the Stag]; Beast Empathy; Step Aside
    - Longbow
    - Asrai Bladestaff
    - Deerhide Leather Armor
    - Hunting Arrows
    - Falcon
    - Forest Familiar
    - Lucky Charm
    - Rope&Hook

Pathfinder "Rualaer" (15 xp) [training grounds used]
    Natural Stealth; Trick Shooter, Quick Shot
    - Longbow
    - Sword
    - Hunting Arrows

Pathfinder "Therior" (9 xp)
    Natural Stealth;
    - Longbow
    - Hunting Arrows

2x Wolfhound

1x Hunting Cat
    Beast Companion, Animal, Pounce

2x Glade Warrior (5 xp)
    +1BS, +1S
    - Longbow

1x Wardancer "Daevelatril" (0 xp)
    Talismanic Tattoos, Nimble Fighter
    - Sword
    - Thornblade

Members: 11
    Rating: 159
    Areas controlled ( 3/10 ): Farmstead, Market Square, Training Grounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Well, a long time has passed since I last updated. The group was unable to gather due to various reasons for a while. As it turns out, my asrai were completely unable to do ANYTHING to the Possessed warband and so I decided it was time to change; even more so since my order from GW finally arrived and I got to play the Warband I truly wanted to: Angry Nuns With Whips and Hammers... Or Sisters of Sigmar, as some call them.

I've had some success with them and am slowly growing in power. Soon I'll be strong enough to take on the Possessed and maybe knock them down a peg or two. My only gripe with my Warband is that I didn't manage to roll the Hammer of Sigmar for my Matriarch (I ended up with Healing Hand, which is quite handy also). Also, the actual model for Matriarch is really frikin' HIDEOUS! I rather use the sister with two hammers as my Matriarch than that ugly cow... *shudder*

Anyway, I have no clue how to edit the title of the thread, so... Yeah, it's probably going to be a little misleading from now on since I've changed from Asrai to Sigmarite Sisters. I'll make a more thorough post once I've got my Warband Roster in hand so I can check the exact details. I'm also eager to see how well the Pit Fighter hired sword will do in the Warband... I hope his high S will help me beat the teeth out of those pesky Possessed (and more specifically the retardedly good The Possessed).

I'll try and make a report from the next session we have next Wednesday; might get two games in that day.

***EDIT*** Nuts to that, game got canceled. Oh well...
    Last edited by Ridell; March 23rd, 2011 at 00:12.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

So here are my Sisters of Sigmar.

Warband now after 4 games:

Matriarch "Isabella Mencken" (29 xp)
    M4 WS4 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
    Leader, Prayers [Healing Hand (5)]; Lightning Reflexes
    - 2x Sigmarite Warhammer
    - Helmet
    - Holy relic
    - Holy Water x2
    - Lucky Charm
    - Rope & Hook

Augur "Agnetta" (4 xp)
    M4 WS3 BS2 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld7
    Blessed Sight; Jump Up
    - Sling
    - Sigmarite Warhammer
    - Holy Water x1
    - Lucky Charm
    - Rope & Hook

Sister Superior "Miranda Baehrn" (15 xp)
    M4 WS5 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld8
    Hardened
    - Sigmarite Warhammer
    - Buckler
    - Sling
    - Lucky Charm
    - Rope & Hook

Sister Superior "Alicia Rott" (13 xp)
    M4 WS5 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld7
    Hardened
    - Sigmarite Warhammer
    - Buckler
    - Sling
    - Lucky Charm
    - Rope & Hook

Sister Superior "Elene Kotzen" (13 xp)
    M4 WS4 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I4 A1 Ld7
    - Steel Whip
    - Buckler
    - Sling
    - Lucky Charm
    - Rope & Hook

5x Sisters (5 xp) [training grounds used]
    +1WS, +1BS
    - Hammer
    - Sling
    - Buckler

2x Sisters (0 xp)
    - Great Hammer

Pit Fighter "Arnold" (0 xp)
    - Morningstar
    - Spiky Gauntlet
    - Helmet

Members: 12
    Hired Swords: 1
    Rating: 181
    Areas Controlled: Farmstead

Compared to Skaven and Asrai (the two other warbands I've played) I've come to notice the sisters have one major advantage over many other Warbands: the +1S from Sigmarite Warhammers makes a world of difference in fights. The thought of having a Matriarch with two Sigmarite Hammers and the prayer "Hammer of Sigmar" makes me giggle... That's S6 (effective S7 vs. certain models) attacks that deal double wounds on hits. I hope my next upgrade for dear Isabella is a new skill so I can try my luck with a new prayer in hopes of getting Hammer of Sigmar.

On a sidenote: for one glorious moment I had the Training Grounds, but then I immediately lost them to those pesky Possessed. Eventually I will have the power to take them on. Heck, both of my hammerer Sister Superiors -Miranda and Alicia- have WS5 and Hardened, so they should, hopefully, lay some hurt on the enemy. I'm also curious to see how the Pit Fighter will perform; he's been a downright nasty opponent whenever someone has ended in The Pit after being taken Out of Action.

More to come when the group gathers up and gets some actual games done!
    Last edited by Ridell; March 28th, 2011 at 22:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Well, earlier today the group gathered for some more Mordheim... And decided to give up on the campaign. I got to play one rather uneventful match against the Beastmen, who summarily kicked my ass since he got a 6 on Eye of God on his minotaur, which boosted the thing to obscene levels. Oh well...

The group plans on playing some Necromunda sometime in the near future, for a campaign or two, and then maybe return to Mordheim. If you've been reading this, be on the lookout for a blog-thingy in the Necromunda section; I intend to note down how my Arbite Enforcers do. Heck, if I feel like it I'll write in some kind of a story format.

Peace out, y'all. I'll do a new blog here once the group gets around to some more Mordheim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been itching to play some Mordheim myself, this sounds like a good time, other then the Minotuar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Oh, the game itself is loads of fun. I especially enjoy the RPG-esque elements it has with the experience points and leveling up and all that. The game just requires a metric crapton of terrain to play properly, otherwise -I've noticed- shooty Warbands will just bunker up and shoot everything to death (if they roll better than I do... Damn you incompetent Asrai!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for all the info Ridell, I enjoyed reading your updates.

I have gotten into Mordheim myself recently (my silent protest against GW price hikes). I have to say that I absolutely love it, while it's hard to play at home because of the terrain, the game length and the low monetary investment is fantastic. I also love the versatility amongst the war-bands, so far I have played against carnival of chaos (ugh..), beastmen, Tomb kings??, ogres, a few mercenaries and some merchant traitors and every game actually feels different. I myself play the pirates warband and love them!

I also agree with what you said, the RPG feeling is one of the greatest parts about this game, it's something that I missed about fantasy and 40k (besides the 4 hour games and $600 investments....).

+ Reply to Thread