Blood Bowl Ugh, Diving Back into Blood Bowl - Page 2 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

I'd have thought you couldn't re-roll Dump-Off either - or, rather, that you can't use a team re-roll to do so. Presumably you can still use the Pass skill to do so and that may be what you looked up.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over honest mistakes about rules though. We all make them and it can be impossible to correct after the fact (who knows what would have happened otherwise?). Good idea to bring it to your friend's attention, so one of you is more likely to remember in future, but you can't un-do what was done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yeah. It's worrisome to me because it would kick my Blitzer out of getting the second TD, meaning that he loses his skill-up and I'd have to try to reroll that +1AG. I really want that AG5 Blitzer!
    It shouldn't be a problem though.

It's weird, there are a handful of actions that can get rerolls during odd situations. For instance, on your own turn, you can take a Pass Block or attempt an Interception against a Dump Off, and would therefore be able to use a TRR on the outcome because it's your turn.

Our next game is Friday or Saturday, with the last "double night" before the regular season. I'm playing my B-Team, so I probably won't comment much, other than to say which team each player will be locking in and if there are any noticeable skills.

Not sure what my next player is going to be either. After two games at half-credits, I've nearly got enough to add on anything short of a Blitzer or Witch Elf. I have a Witch in the console version, and while she's nice and quick with Jump Up and M7, she's also only S3 with Frenzy, and that's a problem. I use her to crowd-push AI off the edges, and gave her Strip Ball, but in reality most players stay off the sidelines and just about anyone can grab Strip Ball.

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say that I really like Assassins, especially against lightly armored teams like Humans, Elves, and LM Skinks. 'Shadowing' is great for forcing turnovers, and I use mine almost like safeties. They lock onto a receiver and then every turn I basically get a free foul against what is usually a pretty low-AV target.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

114 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Yeah. It's worrisome to me because it would kick my Blitzer out of getting the second TD, meaning that he loses his skill-up and I'd have to try to reroll that +1AG. I really want that AG5 Blitzer!
    It shouldn't be a problem though.
    I wouldn't have thought so, given the friendly group set-up you describe. As you say, had he not caught it, it wouldn't have been a turnover - you'd have been able to pick up the ball next turn (presumably on 2+) so you might well have saved the re-roll anyway and, if anything, been better off.

I was tempted, partly as a result of this, to convert myself a Dark Elf team (I currently have Orcs, Lizardmen, Ogres, and Khemri - and could possible put together Human, Undead, and Nurgle with maybe a little proxying), but I should probably focus on other priorities rather than giving in to hobby butterfly tendencies. My WoC have fallen behind schedule in a local 300 point/month painting league, despite being character-heavy...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Haha, it's pretty bad when an army with such a small model count as Warriors falls behind schedule! Yeah - definitely paint, and don't spend money on bloodbowl unless you know you can get people together to play it. My Dark Elf team looks like it will probably cost me more than I'd like it to.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

It's so easy to buy more teams with Blood Bowl. I always fall into the "well, my girlfriend might fancy trying a Chaos Pact team out..." trap.

I am a self-deluding man!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Well, it's been a while, but we've got the season underway and we're pretty far in to it, actually. We dropped the old "dual team" format because we actually ended up with six players. Not only did I get both neighbors playing, plus two longtime friends (not the same two as previously, but a fellow D&D nerd took his place), but I actually did get my girlfriend to pick it up. She said that she'd never play Warhammer, and still refuses to ever learn the rules, but after having our tiny apartment crashed by rowdy Blood-Bowlers a few too many times, she decided that if you can't beat 'em, foul the ever loving hell out of 'em! So our team are:

Me - Norse
    K. - Lizardmen
    D. - Undead
    B. - Orcs
    S. - Ogre
    GF. - Dark Elf (not because she's using my leftovers, but because she was serious when I said she enjoys fouling/maiming us at every opportunity)

And so that's that! With six people, we can play in 5-game rotations. We don't always meet up in a unified spot, just as long as everyone gets their games in. It's not hard, as once you are bitten by the Blood Bowl Bug, all you really want to do is play more games.

We decided for this campaign that we'd play with what I call "Explosive Growth" rules. Since there are only six of us, we wanted to make sure that the teams would have a chance to change significantly between rotations. I don't mind Blood Bowl's leveling rules, but I admit that they can be a bit slow. To help speed things up and keep the levels rolling in, we added the following rules:
    'Apothecaries are Standing By'
    Several Damsels of the "Our Lady of the Lake" convent in Bretonnia have pledged their curative services to the league teams, in return for a small coin donation. When not on the pitch, the ladies can also sell cold meat and hot wine in the stands.
    Once per match, the players may make a 50k donation to the Damsels to make an Apothecary reroll. This can be done even if the team does not have an Apothecary, or if they have already used their own Apothecary during the match.

'Extract of Nurgle'
    "They're going to need Extract of Nurgle to get him back on his feet"
    - Jim Johnson, commentator

'Miss Next Game' is reduced to 'Miss First Half' after which the player begins the second half KO'd.

'The Soupa Starz Cup - Brought to you buy Chef Short E's Extra Hearty Cup'a'Soups!'
    This season is sponsored by the Chef Sort E's soup company. On behalf of the Halflings at Short E's, every participating team has been given a free season's supply of Chef Short E's Extra Hearty Soup (R). The delicious soup allows players to play harder, and train longer. "Make your Star a Soupa-Star!" (side effects may include increased blood pressure, irritability, gross increase in body-hair growth, and minor shrinking of the testes)
    Players gain their first level after 6SPPs are earned, and additional levels every 7SPPs after that.

Cabal-Vision Prime Time!
    Bloodbowl's popularity has exploded in the past decades, with ratings soaring high enough to bump the hit reality show 'Real Daemonettes of Marienburg' as well as the ongoing series 'All My Nurglings' out of their prime-time slots. Ratings are up, viewership is up, match attendance is up, and of course that means more cash, and more riots in the stands! Yea, riots!
    The winner of each match rolls 2D6 and picks the highest for Winnings. The loser of the match rolls 1D6, and may choose to reroll to result.

I've played 10 games with the team so far with a pretty solid 6/1/3 record. I started off with a far more basic team - 2 Throwers, 2 Blitzers, 2 Runners, 1 Werewolf, 4 Linemen
    I don't name my players until they earn one, or pick up a nickname somewhere, then I use a name generator to fill out around it.
    As of right now, my team is looking pretty un-sane for a Norse team:

The Rothgard Revengers
    "Tryvald 'Grandad' Ragason" Thrower +1 Agility, Accurate (my real thrower, model has a beard that I meant to paint blonde, but came out almost white)
    "Dugan 'Steely' Hanz" Thrower Sure Hands, Nerves of Steel (moves up field, best on defense for grabbing the ball and passing it out. Nicknamed for skills)

"Skraeli "The Murderer" Mordson" Werewolf Block, Break Tackle (Break Tackle on a Werewolf is brutal, and has led to many a casualty amongst skilled-up ball carriers)
    "Ulf Werner" Werewolf
    "Grrrrfl 'Ozzy' Raaaargh" Yhetee (he's a Yhetee, 'The Ice Man Cometh')

Thorvald "Greedy" Gerder Runner Dodge, Catch, Diving Catch (the catcher, and incidentally the guy getting all the touchdowns)
    Dan Sigtrygrsson Runner Dodge

"Dugar 'Death Wish' Duvan" Blitzer Leap, Tackle, Strip Ball (jumps into cage, lays down hits, and then gets bashed and stomped by everything that moves)
    "Asbjorn 'Lady Killer' Bjornson" Blitzer (killed a Witch Elf by pushing her into the crowd)

"Drott 'Lucky' Bergison"Lineman Tackle (got a touchdown after picking up a ball on a 6+ in the opposition end-zone. Went on to get MVP in the next game)
    Lineman

3 Rerolls

Yeah - what you're looking at is a Norse team that plays the passing game as well as any other. Once I got that +1Ag on the Thrower, I knew that it wasn't going to stop any time soon. Accurate and +1Ag means that his passing radius looks like +3, +2, +1, 0, with a reroll. Then I have Diving Catch and regular Catch on the Runner, so he's got a +1 to catching the ball and I don't have to touch my team rerolls.
    My normal tactic on offense is to get a Catcher deep up the side of the field, clear a path (without caging) up the other side of the field, and either run it in or throw it out to the Catcher. Norse can't play the cage-and-run game like other teams, because the cage just dissolves too quickly as players get Stunned or KO'd from their low armor.
    On defense it's a whole other ball game. I'm known in the group for not only stopping drives, but for actually being a scoring threat. I send in either my Leap, Tackle, Block, Strip Ball, Blitzer to loosen the ball, or I send in a Break Tackle Werewolf to do the same. If the ball goes down, Steely Hanz is right there to grab it and pass it out. Best case scenario I get it to a catcher and run it in. Worst case, the catch fails and the ball ends up farther up field and away from the cage. Absolute worste case I fail the pickup or pass, and the ball lands inside two tackle zones.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

9. LikeBen_S liked this post.
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

114 (x4)

Sounds good. With those opponents, perhaps passing is the way to go. If there were more Elves, Skaven, and Stunties, then it would be easier to bash them.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

I think that with Norse, passing is almost always the way to go, but not in the same way as an Elf team might throw passes. Norse aren't tough enough to Cage all of the time. Orcs, Dwarfs, Chaos, etc - they cage all the time. Norse can cage against people like Elves and Humans, but once you get into "creatures" you're going to have a hard time. So I play a really loose game. Maybe it's bad habits from the PC, but I generally like to keep several lanes open and never bunch my entire team up in one area. Sort of like a rolling "shotgun" play from actual football.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12