Mordheim Giving WHQ (Warhammer Quest) a try... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

Giving WHQ (Warhammer Quest) a try...

Over the years, I've managed to teach my girlfriend various games, from MtG to Blood Bowl, but she rarely sticks with any of them for long. This isn't really specific to wargames - she doesn't like playing me at chess or Scrabble either - but the one success I have had recently has been Heroquest. We played our first game around late October or early November I reckon and since then have played about three more, largely at her initiative. This is pretty good going.

While I like the chance to share my hobby with her though, I have to say that I'm not fining Heroquest as great a gaming experience as it was 20-odd years ago. I've been hoping to move us on to something more advanced and (since I never owned Advanced Heroquest) Warhammer Quest looks the best bet. I think I still have all the necessary rulebooks along with my various other Warhammer rulebooks. While home for Christmas, I dug out the WHQ box in my mum's loft, which has loads of floor tiles, cards, counters, etc. I don't have all the miniatures, but I probably have substitutes for most of them, so with luck we're set to give it a go.

Despite owning the game, I honestly don't think I ever played it, so I have some rather basic questions if anyone can help...

1) Is it worth it? Do you think I - and more importantly my gf - will like it?

2) Am I right in thinking there is no GM/evil wizard - the monsters run on 'autopilot', leaving us to play two hero characters each?

3) I've not done a full inventory check, but what bits do I really need and what can I manage without?

4) While I'm still at my mum's I also have old WDs (c.#180-220 UK). Can anyone recommend good WHQ stuff? I remember one with Skaven missions involving a part-mechanical Rat Ogre thing - I may need to look for that...

(p.s. Ignore the prefix - was compulsory, but WHQ not included.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Answering out of order, because some are short&sweet, but the answer to #1 could be a doozy.

2) No GM
    Right. There are optional rules for GM play, but the basic game is played cooperatively or even solo. The "autopilot" for the monsters is pretty basic, but it works really well. We've even adapted the system somewhat for playing automated "no GM" dungeons for D&D 4e.

3) Inventory
    If you've got Warhammer minis, you're fairly well set for minis. The only rules that you need are the slim rulebook for play. There's a much heftier "Role Play" book, but that's covering all of the optional extra rules and so forth, which only serve to complicate the game. You'll need to have all of the tiles though. I'm willing to bet that there are places where you can print them for free, online. Google it.
    You can get by without having a few of the Weapon/Treasure/Event cards (since you don't often get through the whole deck anyways), and obviously you only need cards for the characters you plan on using.

4) White Dwarf and other supplements
    The White Dwarf stuff was never considered official, even by GW standards. Not that this is a problem really, as WHQ is a cooperative game, so nothing "unbalanced" will cause an uproar unless it party-kills everyone and ends the game early.
    There are three official expansions: Lair of the Orc Lord, Pits and Traps, and Catacombs of Terror. There are also several "Hero packs" which add more classes/races to the game:
    Pit Fighter
    Warrior Priest
    Imperial Noble
    Elf Ranger
    Dwarf Trollslayer
    Chaos Warrior (an odd one)
    Wardancer
    Witch Hunter
    Bret Knight
    Halfling Thief
    Kislevite Shaman

There are 3 optional Treasure Packs if you get tired of the core treasure. Again, you can probably download these.

There's also a downloadable player-made expansion to use Chaos Dwarfs, which came out in 2010. I haven't played it, but it looks alright, especially if you use all 4 of the Chaos Dwarf players (or only Chaos Dwarf players) and the new event cards (basically, play it as a stand-alone, to wash out any balance or rule-clarity issues). I think you can find it on Boardgame Geek
    Chaos Dwarfs of Deep Forge (fan expansion to Warhammer Quest) | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

1. Will we enjoy it?
    Well, you probably will. It's Warhammer, it's nostalgia, and it's similar to Mordheim in regards to the fact that it came out during the formative years of GW (so expect the same timelines, stats, rules, etc).
    Whether or not she enjoys it, really depends on what she likes about Heroquest and doesn't like about all of the other games you've tried to teach her. WHQ can be pretty complex - a little moreso than Heroquest, although they do both borrow from the same system. This is why she might not like it though: it would be much easier for her to just go on playing Heroquest, unless she's bored with that game or unsatisfied in some way. WHQ is really just HeroquestII, except that they've swapped it over to a more obvious Warhammer flavor. For you, this is a plus, because you like Warhammer, and knowing that you're a 'High Elf' rather than just a generic Elf or Wizard is cool and adds all of the Warhammer fluff to your experience. It won't do that for her - she doesn't have the WHFB background that you have, so to her, it's all just name changes and mechanical changes.

My girlfriend won't even let me teach her a lot of my games. She wants to learn how to play Chess, but doesn't want to learn from me. She flatly refuses to play Warhammer, but is perfectly content to paint the models. She's beginning to collect a Dark Elf army, but hasn't played a single game yet. I helped her to turn her collection into a legal armylist though, so that at least I can field it on the table.
    I think it's a girl thing. Firstly, most girls aren't necessarily into wargaming and nerdery like guys are. They'll be nerds, sure, but they seem more apt to marathon 'Doctor Who' or 'The Walking Dead' and play videogames, rather than hang out in a mostly guy-dominated and lesser-known "fandom" like Wargaming. I also don't think that girlfriends like to pit themselves adversarially against their SOs. My girlfriend doesn't want to learn Chess from me because she knows that I'll beat her, and she doesn't want it to turn into a fight. We're both pretty competitive. We play videogames together, but suspiciously, they have to be games that she's good at. She won't, for example, play against me in shooters or racing games (we'll play cooperatively, she won't play racers at all, unless they Kiddy-Kart type games).
    My guess is that's the problem with your girlfriend, and it's why she likes HeroQuest - you guys can work together, and even if it's not the most fun she's ever had, it doesn't involve one of you "winning" over the other, and probably it gets you to stop bothering her to play a game with you.
    To that end, there are a ton of cooperative boardgames in the market right now. A few of my favorites are:

Pathfinder Adventure Cardgame (D&D with cards, no DM)
    Death Angel (space hulk cooperative card game)
    Shadows over Camelot (huge game that's best with 3+ players, and has you defending Camelot from invading monster armies - it does have a traitor working against the players though)
    Defenders of the Realm (Shadows, but without the Traitors and Camelot theme)
    Zombies! (a game where you play as humans, defending yourselves against waves of zombies. There's a "winner", but you're all working together to survive)
    Humans! (the opposite: you play as the zombies).
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Whether or not she enjoys it, really depends on what she likes about Heroquest and doesn't like about all of the other games you've tried to teach her ... For you, this is a plus, because you like Warhammer, and knowing that you're a 'High Elf' rather than just a generic Elf or Wizard is cool and adds all of the Warhammer fluff to your experience. It won't do that for her - she doesn't have the WHFB background that you have, so to her, it's all just name changes and mechanical changes ... I also don't think that girlfriends like to pit themselves adversarially against their SOs. My girlfriend doesn't want to learn Chess from me because she knows that I'll beat her, and she doesn't want it to turn into a fight ... My guess is that's the problem with your girlfriend, and it's why she likes HeroQuest - you guys can work together, and even if it's not the most fun she's ever had, it doesn't involve one of you "winning" over the other, and probably it gets you to stop bothering her to play a game with you.
    I think you've hit the nail - or several nails - on the head there.

She doesn't much like competitive games, particularly when she almost always loses (though she's had more success with Blood Bowl than chess). It's notable that in Heroquest I've been the evil wizard and she's played all four characters, so she's 'won' all four games (though I did score a minor success by killing the elf once). HQ is still a competitive game between us, even if it's not balanced.

That's one reason why I thought WHQ may be promising. The added complexity is a minus from her point of view (though she does like the Warhammer 'fluff'), but we'd be on the same side and that would also mean that I could do more to advise her or help with the rules if necessary.

+ Reply to Thread