From zero to hero (The tale of a beginner painter) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1264 (x8)

From zero to hero (The tale of a beginner painter)

So, after stalking many of our very talented painters, the time has come for me to improve my painting skills. The fact that I've been chosen as our newfounded gaming clubs "Master of paint" has nothing at all to do with it :p

I currently have 20 assault marines, of whom 5 are painted red, but will get a little bit of tlc with some paint remover, and 15 who are just primed, as well as 80 or so IG infantry models. First call of duty is the assault marines.

Current state:

Assault Marines by Johnnysd, on Flickr

I will be taking my time on these, making sure that I'm happy with how they look before I move on. The IG troops are primed black, and I intend to blast them with my airbrush armed with foundation paint to speed up the process a little bit.. At least I'll get some practice painting faces :p

I might even buy a few boxes of other armies, be it 40k or fantasy, just so I can practice various techniques and get some variety, as I can imagine painting 80 troops and some marines will leave me wanting something else in between.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck on your endeavours!

BR

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Don't beat yourself up so much. I'm sure you're better than you think and you'll only improve with practice. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

1264 (x8)

Had some time to sit down and paint today, and found out that most of the paints I need are dried up So a trip to the hobby store is needed when I get paid. This minor setback has allowed me to start stripping the paint of the 5 "painted" marines. Do NOT try to remove paint by airbrushing nailpolish remover, it won't do anything except stink up the entire place :s

I did get to borrow a DE codex, and I must admit I'm sorely tempted to pick up a few boxes so I can start a new army. Those models look awesome! And since I have 1k points (approximately) of BA and IG, and none of my matches are much above that, I figure I could have the beginnings of yet another army, just to try something new gamingwise and change up the painting a bit. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

1264 (x8)

Work has sucked up what paint time I had, but I've gotten around to painting all the assault marins with mechrite red, and started painting blood red over them. Can't say I'm to thrilled with it, as it's a tad to dark for my tastes. So for me, mechrite red is a no-go for now, as I could have gotten the result I wanted with blood red straight over the primer. Oh well, you live and learn, and since this is a learning process.. I'm gonna finish up one model to see if I like the result, and to figure out how much time it'll take to paint all of them. Expect pictures later today!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x5)

Keep it up, I like to see progress.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

1264 (x8)

Maybe it's time I started updating this thread again, even though I never really started :p Just ordered some new paints. Gonna give Vallejo a try, as I had a large collection of unused citadel paints that have completely dried out. Will order up some foundation and metallics from GW, as I hear those are the ones worth getting. So unfortunately no new pics before I get my new paints. But hey, better late than never, right?

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I havn't touched my project logs for a while or a paintbrush for that matter! Hope the paints get you back on track!

A

+ Reply to Thread