A Tale of One Gamer Dad - Part One - Bretonnia to Start - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A Tale of One Gamer Dad - Part One - Bretonnia to Start

I know that I enjoy the snow.. it stays for quite some time
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

A Tale of One Gamer Dad - Part One - Bretonnia to Start

So, I thought it was about time to dust off some unit boxes and dig up the bits bin and begin to actually paint some of these impressive GW grey and Green Stuff ... well ... green.

....anyways I figure the best way to get me motivated to put some paint on these models would be to post it in a thread so that my progress can be mocked or praised by those within the hobby who may find themselves in the same situation that I am in. A full time job, two young children, and a beautiful wife (whom does not game in any form :/ .... does create some discussions).

First up then will be my Bretonnians since I figure the many different colours of their heraldry will get the juices flowing so that I can then challenge myself to finishing my Space Marines, Dwarves, and then my beloved WoC. I have set myself up for roughly a 2000 point list (will post the list later for criticism... I mean praise?), which has bee put together more out of fluff than competiveness, although I do not think that I have too much more to add to reach that level. And I have 6 months to complete, I will give myself bonus marks if I finish before Christmas in four short months.

So here is the list before me;

Month One - 3 Pegasus Knights, and 2 units of 10 bowmen

Month Two - Damsel (Mounted), 5 Knights of the Realm (Musician)

Month Three - 9 Knights of the Realm (with FC)

Month Four - Bretonnian Lord, 8 Knights of the Realm (with FC)

Month Five - Paladin (mounted BS, 4 Grail Knights (Converted)

Month Six - Trebuchet, and Damsel (on foot just for fun)

I will begin posting pictures shortly of some of the WIP that I have begun putting together and customizing and then once I get going along with a little fluff, and then when the models are completed more pics will follow. I look forward to any suggestions, technniques and anything that I can improve upon since this will be the first full army which I will have complete rather than several partials.

Also I was looking to make the knight bases look like they have been recently trampled and was wondering if anyone had any experience on making hoof prints in GS. I was thinking of cutting off a leg from a spare horse and grinding it out a little to give it the 'shoed' appearance. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Last edited by father-chaos; September 27th, 2012 at 18:16. Reason: updated targeted goals

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

Here are a few shots (Albeit poor photos, but it is the only camera that I own) of my very WIP Paladin/Lord character. This was my first attempt at a model with free hand, I hope that the photos are clear enough that the detail can be seen. From here I need to put some more attention into highlithing and the shield. The story behind him will follow shortly.

Enjoy the photos, and thanks for looking.

IMG_2273.jpgIMG_2275.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

That's looking great! Can't wait to see more. I'm in a similar position (2 kids, non-gamer wife, moving towns for a new job) and found boxes and boxes of my old minis the other day. Keep up the good work
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

Thanks Exarch, I was doing some more digging last night and found this guy.

IMG_2276.jpg

For those who may not recognize this guy, it is the old King of the Bretons, unfortunately I could not find his mount so I plan on bulking him up a little in order for him to ride on the newer horses. Should be a fairly simple conversion, will post more as they come off the assembly line.

Regards,

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

332 (x8)

This looks good I shall be watching havn't touched my Bret's for a while!

A

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Yay.. Knights for the knight god.... Will be hanging about here for sure.. My brets are languishing in the. "not a priority", pile =(, the only thing I can say for the moment on the Lord is about the converted arm.. I like the weapon option. Knights with Maces are more accurate than people realise, and but if you think about the placement of the arm, and how strong do you think that guy would need to be to hold the weight of the Mace at that angle? I would have said angle the wrist to let the head of the Mace drop a little... But that's a fairly minor point tbh good luck man, and and remember the moment re knights you give the to knight god the more powerful he will make you!
    TOXG Tau HERE

Commission blog: HERE

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1211 (x8)

Nice one, Father-Chaos!
    I think there are a lot of people who have a Bretonnian army waiting for some love…including myself.
    Curious to see further developments…

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

So month 1 is in motion now and I have made some pretty good progress. the only thing that I have changed is that I dropped the Knights Errant from month 1 and brought up the three Pegasus knights. I may by changing the Errant knights into KotRealm when I put together my army list.... but that is a WIP all on its own.

Here are a couple of pictures to show what sort of progress I have been making on this months challenge, first up is a group shot (apologies on the picture qualities, I hope they are clear enough for everyone). The next are some separate shots showing where I am currently. The blue and white heraldry on the peasants will be from my lord character whom I will be making the father of the hero already shown above when I get around to writing up some back stories to my characters.

As always thanks for taking the time to look at what I have done and I hope you enjoy.

Regards,
    IMG_2282.jpgIMG_2287.jpgIMG_2288.jpgIMG_2290.jpgIMG_2292.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by father-chaos; September 4th, 2012 at 06:03.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Massive progress in a short time, well done sir. Very nice looking army.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Hooray for the Brets!!! Rep for you! I really like the two-tone tunics on your bowmen and wish I would have thought of that on my fellows. Get some wash and highlights on them and they will be epic and awesome.
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast