As a poor man with two sons playing 40K, I've set out on several low cost projects to make apocalypse units. When my youngest son came to me and said "do you think you could make me a Thunderhawk Gunship?", I was skeptical. But what do we teach our kids? Always try. I'm not the great modeler that most of you are, I'm not a great painter and I don't own a lot of bitz. But something I am is someone willing to try and that is the lesson to teach our children.
I set out by taking two 2"x4" that were actually that size and not milled down to 1 1/2"x3 1/2". I traced out the main body and cut each piece separately on the scroll saw. I then glued and clamped each piece together. When dried, we (my son and I) sanded all edges smooth. Using 1/4" plywood, I traced and cut out each wing and small wing on the scroll saw. We then sanded each wing smooth. We took 3/4" wooden dowel and cut them slightly bigger than the rear wing. I then glued and pegged the dowel to the main body. When dry, I glued and pegged the wings in place. I then cut a slightly tampered wing extension for the rear wing. We had Lascannons which we glued and pegged onto the bottom of this extension first, then glued in place.
Using the chop saw, I cut a smaller angled piece and glued it to a flat piece of plywood angling the rear of the piece. This fit on the front of the ship as the cockpit. I took some 2" wood and cut a piece for the top rear of the ship in which the cannon would be attached. I pegged and glued this piece in place. Once dried, I traced and cut the rear tail fin including the top "T" for the fin. I then pegged and glued this in place.
We had two twin linked heavy bolters, but no side sponson to attach it to, so I took a 3/8" slice of dowel and sliced in half with the scroll saw for each side. I drilled a hole through the bolters and slightly into each dowel half. I then glued the sponson and bolters to the front of the ship. Problem was, I didn't have heavy bolters for the wings, so I made them. I cut plywood pieces the size of heavy bolters. Carefully, it cut a ridge on each side, leaving the middle layer of the plywood 1/8" across the top. I took 1/8" plastic dowel and cut a small piece for barrels. I glued both guns together and drilled an 1/8" hole in the middle. I fashioned a small square targeting system for the top of the wing above the bolters. I drilled a hole through the wing, put a plastic dowel through and attached the bolters under the wing and the target system on the top of the wing. The result is a gun system that will swivel 360 degrees.
To finish, I added a gun barrel to the top of the plane using plasticard tubing. The cockpit was finished by adding plasicard strips. The wing extensions were finished with plasticard steps. I added a plasticard hatch on the front and an old Rhino door under the front wings. We did a final sand, filled any gaps or irregularities with wood filler and painted it in a White Scars theme. Here are the pictures:
2013-01-14 14.34.23.jpg2013-01-14 14.34.36.jpgP1020733.jpgP1020737.jpg