Project Thunderhawk - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Project Thunderhawk

As a poor man with two sons playing 40K, I've set out on several low cost projects to make apocalypse units. When my youngest son came to me and said "do you think you could make me a Thunderhawk Gunship?", I was skeptical. But what do we teach our kids? Always try. I'm not the great modeler that most of you are, I'm not a great painter and I don't own a lot of bitz. But something I am is someone willing to try and that is the lesson to teach our children.

I set out by taking two 2"x4" that were actually that size and not milled down to 1 1/2"x3 1/2". I traced out the main body and cut each piece separately on the scroll saw. I then glued and clamped each piece together. When dried, we (my son and I) sanded all edges smooth. Using 1/4" plywood, I traced and cut out each wing and small wing on the scroll saw. We then sanded each wing smooth. We took 3/4" wooden dowel and cut them slightly bigger than the rear wing. I then glued and pegged the dowel to the main body. When dry, I glued and pegged the wings in place. I then cut a slightly tampered wing extension for the rear wing. We had Lascannons which we glued and pegged onto the bottom of this extension first, then glued in place.

Using the chop saw, I cut a smaller angled piece and glued it to a flat piece of plywood angling the rear of the piece. This fit on the front of the ship as the cockpit. I took some 2" wood and cut a piece for the top rear of the ship in which the cannon would be attached. I pegged and glued this piece in place. Once dried, I traced and cut the rear tail fin including the top "T" for the fin. I then pegged and glued this in place.

We had two twin linked heavy bolters, but no side sponson to attach it to, so I took a 3/8" slice of dowel and sliced in half with the scroll saw for each side. I drilled a hole through the bolters and slightly into each dowel half. I then glued the sponson and bolters to the front of the ship. Problem was, I didn't have heavy bolters for the wings, so I made them. I cut plywood pieces the size of heavy bolters. Carefully, it cut a ridge on each side, leaving the middle layer of the plywood 1/8" across the top. I took 1/8" plastic dowel and cut a small piece for barrels. I glued both guns together and drilled an 1/8" hole in the middle. I fashioned a small square targeting system for the top of the wing above the bolters. I drilled a hole through the wing, put a plastic dowel through and attached the bolters under the wing and the target system on the top of the wing. The result is a gun system that will swivel 360 degrees.

To finish, I added a gun barrel to the top of the plane using plasticard tubing. The cockpit was finished by adding plasicard strips. The wing extensions were finished with plasticard steps. I added a plasticard hatch on the front and an old Rhino door under the front wings. We did a final sand, filled any gaps or irregularities with wood filler and painted it in a White Scars theme. Here are the pictures:

2013-01-14 14.34.23.jpg2013-01-14 14.34.36.jpgP1020733.jpgP1020737.jpg

2. Like WyteNite liked this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

God dammit that is awesome! Heres some rep.

Tell the guy with the iron maiden shirt that he is on the correct road!
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

The Iron Maiden T-Shirt was the "Wickerman" shirt I bought my son for Christmas this year. I've been a Maiden fan since their second album (yes I'm that old). The guy is in fact my 13 year old son who helped me make the Thunderhawk. The pic was our Apocalypse game I hosted a few weeks ago.

It's important to note that the whole thing cost us about $20 (14,81 Euros or 12.73 Pounds) mostly because of a bit of plasticard and paint I had to buy. I had the glue, the pegs and all the wood. We made the base out of wood and wooden dowel.

I don't have wow factor skills for modeling, but this project turned out great. We were pleased and I had at least two people ask me to make one for them.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Its more than decent and I would ask you for one myself If I was there

The most important thing though, is that it is certainly a treasured piece for your lad. I still have a dinosaur my dad build and painted for me about 20 years ago. I wouldn't change that old piece for anything in the world.

Up the Irons!
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Holy feth, that's so Epic-Win!
    Seriously good job mate!

And you can also colour me 100% jealous of your local gaming store too - it looks like an amazing place to game.

Down here we've got one store with individual rooms but only 4 tables, and no real organisation from the store staff so it's pretty much always just 'first come first serve' to try and get a game in...
    And the Warmahordes players are absolute donkeycaves who hog the tables and will eat a pizza before slowly playing through their game, thus preventing anyone else from getting that table for the entire night!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    244 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by experiment 626 View Post
    And the Warmahordes players are absolute donkeycaves who hog the tables and will eat a pizza before slowly playing through their game, thus preventing anyone else from getting that table for the entire night!
    That's what fists are for, you're Canadian, put a little hockey fighting love in those booths, I would haha

But that is a pretty nifty thunderhawk, you should post the dimensions of the pieces you used.

+ Reply to Thread