A Tale of One Gamer Dad - A New Quest into the Age of Sigmar - Hope all is not Lost - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    I know that I enjoy the snow.. it stays for quite some time
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

A Tale of One Gamer Dad - A New Quest into the Age of Sigmar - Hope all is not Lost

Hello all, both grizzled veteran and errant youth.

New life has been restored to these 'experienced' limbs and I have returned to the Quest with a much younger vigor. Dusting off the brushes and shaking the pots of paint I have once again immersed myself in the world of miniatures and wargaming. A great deal of this reason is that I have had time to adjust to the injustice handed out to fantasy players (IMHO of course) by the rapid exodus from End Times into the Age of Sigmar. The reason for my revival would go to my son who has recently taken a great interest in the miniatures that I have displayed in my cave. So I find myself once again standing on the field of battle with hobby knife and clippers. With that said lets move on.

The one thing that I find myself enjoying about the changes to fantasy would be the bases. My knights have more clearances and warriors of chaos look pretty good on a 32mm scenic base. And with this extra room comes more conversions.

And now for the true reason for this thread: I will start by undertaking (2)two challenges. The first will be a Skaven host done up for my son, chosen due to the fact that my wife has a slight rodent phobia (sometimes I can not help but love my sons choices). And I will once again take up the call of the lady for this one and field the knights of Bretonnia on new bases.

Skaven Horde (So far)
    Most of these are built and based. Just need to start painting these guys while I work on assembling the Bretonnian's

- Grey Seer
    - Warlord ( IoB )
    - Warlock ( IoB )
    - 3 units of 20 Clanrats ( IoB )
    - 4 Rat Ogres ( IoB )
    - 2 Packmasters ( IoB )
    - 2 Wind Globes ( IoB )
    - 2 Flame Teams ( IoB )
    - Doomwheel (Not Built Yet)

Bretonnian Army (So Far)
    I got a hold of a battalion box from a LGS for $50 (box had some water damage but all models inside were fine) so I will start with them and then build more later.

- Lord on Horse (WIP)
    - Paladin on Foot (Hermit Knight Conversion)
    - Paladin on Horse (Battle Banner Conversion)
    - Damsel on Horse (WIP)
    - 8 KotR (New)
    - 30 Men at Arms (Yes I finally purchased some peasants after collecting bretonnia for nearly 18 years)
    - 2 units of 12 Archers (Half done the other new)
    - Pegasus Knight
    - 6 Questing Knights (WIP)

For now this is simply a placeholder for the project since I still need to take some photos this week of the progress so far. I am excited to get back into the hobby full swing once again and it is nice being back on Librarium Online. I see that there are still a few familiar names out there.

Regards,

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."
    New Age of Sigmar
    Warriors of Chaos Project, Bretonian-Tale-of-Gamer-Project

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Ooh excellent, and welcome back!
    Glad to see someone jumping in on AoS, or any iteration of the ol' "Sword'n'board" game.
    I agree, your son's choice of army is indeed well informed And I think I remember your old Bret project as well (although, might be been MDSW's).
    Just remember - GW themselves have said that base-size is a non-issue in AoS. You could run square bases if you liked, on the chance that after some exposure to AoS, you and/or your son decide to backtrack into 8th, or start in on '9th Age' or 'Kings of War.'

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Welcome back to the fold Mr Chaos!! Looking forward to some pics!! You never know, you may be the person who flames the fires of a Fantasy comeback here

Is your son old enough to paint/model? Or will you be doing that for him?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

Thanks for the reception guys.

As for your question Borak, my son has recently turned 6 so the hobby portion has been taken care of by myself but I do have 60+ Clan Rats looking at me right now (for the projectso I may let him go nuts on the painting there. I might cheat a little and have him basecoat them all then dip them for the shading and then together we will go back and paint in the cloth and armour. I am not too concerned with these guys since I was able to grab two boxes of IoB for $50 CAD each then turned around and sold all the HE Blademasters and Ellyrian Riders for $90. So in the end all of his Skaven cost me $10 and I have a couple of griffons left over to possibly try my hand at a hippogriff with the old King Louen model.

We are setting up an old escalation league between the two of us where we will battle every Sunday morning for the next two months while these armies form up.

And now to get some photos taken .... (Never was my strong suit but will try and snap a few tonight to get things started).

One question I will throw out there for those veteran painters still lurking out there. I am interested in converting a group of Questing knights and want to paint them dirty and worn (faded heraldry and things like that). Any methods out there that you have tried and succeeded at? Just gathering information right now.

Regards,
    New Age of Sigmar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

Trying a post from my phone, so apologies if this doesn't work.

I have a few photos here (again from my new phone) to start some images of the Skaven I have assembled and then the Bretonnian Lord model I am updating as well as a Hermit Knight I am putting together.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

Missed it on the first one and I have a funny feeling that these may not come out right either. I miss my computer.
    Attached Images

9. Like Ben_S liked this post.
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

The wolf looks great! Is that purely done with washes?

The Empire/Bret/Human Hero looks cool. any chance of a close up?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

Yes it was Borak, and thanks for the compliment. A buddy of mine had hinted at doing this with his own wolves and I thought I would give it a try. The first wash across the top ridge was two separate passes with Nuln Oil and then I simply built up the rest with Agrax Earthshade starting over a greater surface then progressively adding more washes as I made my way back to the top. I will try to grab a photo tonight from the side so that you can see what I mean. Turned out pretty good for the amount of effort required to achieve it.

Assembled my Archers last night and hope to get the Men-at-Arms done today so then I can start batch painting them and the many, many, many clan rats. Hopefully I can find a quick way to get through all them quickly enough.

The 'Hermit Knight' is also made up of the Wight King body as well, the shield is the Bretonnian shield that comes from one of the ogre sets. I will work on a few close-ups of him as well. The goal with him is to paint him up pretty dirty and then throw him along with a Damsel on foot in with the Men-at-Arms.

Regards,
    New Age of Sigmar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

So I have been assembling peasants like crazy the past couple of days and there is an end in sight. Currently have a unit of 12 new archers and just placing the finishing touches on 25 Men at Arms. I decided to do a little kit-bashing on a large command unit, which of course will count-as regular peasants when completed. I am hoping to bring this unit up to an even 30 for now and may go as deep as 40 to finish off the unit (reminds me of my marauder horde days...).

On a side note I have begun to look at converting questing knights out of WoC upper bodies with sculpted legs. This way I could use their Great Weapons without having to cut away too much and they already sit bigger than the Bretonnian knights. I am mocking up one this weekend and test fit it to the Bret horses and then the WoC knight horses to see which will look better. Who knows, this may be a bit of a stretch but could still turn out cheaper than purchasing 5 knights at $89 (CAD)

Regards,
    New Age of Sigmar

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Someone said the 'magic word' (or was that, 'Marauder Horde'?) Anyway, I HAD to pop back in!
    The army looks good, and yeah, it's almost definitely your log that I was remembering.

That wolf looks ace, too. I have some of the bigger wolf cav to paint up for my Chaos army, so I might have to try that out.

As for Chaos Knights - I'm not sure. If you leave the shoulders off, they might not look too bulky at all. Otherwise, you could always just shave them down a bit (they have skulls and spikes and icons on their chests anyway) and scuplt some billowy-looking tabards and surcoats over them to help hide the unbalance. That, or just use the entire Chaos Knight horse and legs, just make things really easy. If your gonna sculpt a whole set of legs, wouldn't it be easier to just modify the CK sets?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast