Night runners and gutter runners - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night runners and gutter runners

So i've gotten a few games under my belt now with my 1400 points of skaven and I'm looking to expand upon what I have:

1 Warlock
    1 Warlord
    1 Chieftan (BSB )
    77 Clanrats
    20 Storm Vermin
    2 Rat Ogres; master moulder
    Plauge wind motar
    Warp Fire thrower
    1 Doomwheel

My main opponents have been high elves and empire and i'm 1-2 against the elves and 2-0 vs empire but I have yet to find a unit to fullfill my war machine hunter role. So would Night or gutter runners be effective in this role or should I look elsewere? I have been using my doomwheel and ogres down the flanks to try and get the warmachines but they don't seem to get thier quick enough but luckily the machines have been blowing themselves up early on.
    My empire opponent in particular will become troublesome at higher points he has two very strong units of calvary (demi's in one group) a cannon and volley gun and he is planning on expanding on his artillery (particularly when my doomwheel vaporized his demi's with 12 S10 hits) I realize I won't be lucky forever so I really need this dedicated WM hunter.
    Feedback very much appreciated and hope your having a wonderful new year

"You cannot defeat change; only embrace it"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nightrunners aren't skirmishers so even with M6 and their 6" 'vanguard' move (slinking advance) they would have hard time with manuevering around or through enemy lines.
    guterrunners however is a whole different story. they come out of the table edges so you can arrive just behind those cannons. they do skirmish which means they'll easily evade combat and shoot much more effectively. on the other hand they might come out too late and they cost about twice the nightrunner. nonetheless i'd take them if any. or for a similar points you could take nightrunners with the warp-grinder team, but that sound even less reliable.

on the side note:
    from what you said it seems like you've been using doomwheel incorrectly. it does 3 shots, each does 1 auto-hit, 1 toWound roll, 1 Ward save / regen if any, and only then the wounds multiply. so while you can cause 12 (or even 18 ) wounds, you shouldn't be getting 12 Hits (just for clarity)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strangejour View Post
    nightrunners aren't skirmishers so even with M6 and their 6" 'vanguard' move (slinking advance) they would have hard time with manuevering around or through enemy lines.
    guterrunners however is a whole different story. they come out of the table edges so you can arrive just behind those cannons. they do skirmish which means they'll easily evade combat and shoot much more effectively. on the other hand they might come out too late and they cost about twice the nightrunner. nonetheless i'd take them if any. or for a similar points you could take nightrunners with the warp-grinder team, but that sound even less reliable.

on the side note:
    from what you said it seems like you've been using doomwheel incorrectly. it does 3 shots, each does 1 auto-hit, 1 toWound roll, 1 Ward save / regen if any, and only then the wounds multiply. so while you can cause 12 (or even 18 ) wounds, you shouldn't be getting 12 Hits (just for clarity)
    Thank you very much on the doomwheel correction!Rep for you! (From my empire friend; he'll appreciate that ) I read the "warp lightning..." part and started resolving it from there lol. And after flipping through my BRB the gutter runners are sounding like the better option. I'm also planning on getting a warp lightning cannon to give my enemies war machines more targets to choose from
    "You cannot defeat change; only embrace it"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

You also just have that omfg cheese banner that shuts down shooting for a turn. Sure, it will not kill his artillery, but slow it down long enough to get a doom wheel into combat, or give you time to get all of your units stuck into combat, so you cant get shot.

Also, rats love cheese.

+ Reply to Thread