Can skaven do MSU? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Can skaven do MSU?

It's a recent obsession with me at the moment. Multiple small units. It's seen my dark elves run around the table with reckless abandon as people can no longer rely on single uber units or a single all powerful spell to win the game. So I was just pondering if it would be possible to do a skaven version of the army at some point. Obviously skaven rely on large units to provide steadfast and Ld rank bonus shenanigans, but we do have one major advantage in the form of taking multiple units of skaven allows more artillery than any army can conceivably have at any one time. A few units of 25 clanrats (say, 4-6?) with poisoned wind mortars backed up by a smattering of 10 man stormvermin squads with rattling gun platforms. Add a few larger units, the obligatory BSB and that will form the core.

The idea is to blast apart the enemy from range neutralising the extra ranks the opposing units have to be ground down by the clan rats, using the smaller stormvermin units as shock troops with their I5, S4 attacks provide some extra punch. Just thought that it would be an interesting alternative way to play the game with skaven rather than just lining up huge blocks of clanrats and see what happens next.

Crazyness of genius?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

It could work, I would say just try it out and let us know if it works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The few games I've played with Skaven I have only used multiple small units once. Had two big cores of slaves and clan rats (40 each) with 3 ten strong stormvermin units. The vermin flank charged any unit that either charged the other rats or were charged by rats. It worked somewhat well (perhaps the dice gods were supporting me that day) but I ended up losing the game, vermin lacked the ranks to keep moral up and eventually fled when push came to shove.

Perhaps in a more experienced leader it might have succeeded, but alas I have yet to gain the required skill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they can! To make it work you need a lynchpin, something that can hold the frontline - slaves. You NEED 2/3 40+ blocks of slaves. Behind them you put tiny units of naked clanrats with weapons teams. Poison Wind Mortars are my favorite. Because clanrats are so cheap you can take as many as you need to fill up your core slots and then fill the remainder of your slots with whatever you need, but it helps the overall strategy if you can throw more dakka into the slaves combat (poison wind globadiers for the win). Take gutter runners and warp lightning cannons to deal with their backfield and put your opponent in a sticky damned if they do damned if they don't position. It's beautiful.

+ Reply to Thread