Rat swarms, do any of you use them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rat swarms, do any of you use them?

There's another Skaven player in my group, it wasn't hard to field an army with a different composition because we appreciate different aspects of Skaven.

However, this has made me look more critically at our book, and more critically at some units I've never used, namely Giant Rats, Warplock Jezzails and Rat Swarms.

Stories of success? Strategies?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there!

Personally I believe Jezzails to be far under utilized. They pack a punch but not in 3 man units. I run mine as a 14 man block with marksmen in a 2500 point game. I believe they can be a hammer if treated right.

As for giant rats I only run them in small cheap dart units. close to minimum (usually 6-7)with a pack leader. they are there to redirect and every now and then I have them spear wizard bunker units. Ive eaten several lev 4's who thought they were safe in a block of spear men. One little death frenzy and your dart turns into a wizard blender. Dont forget warmachine hunting as well! mov 6 means you can make a turn 2 charge if his weapons are close enough

I like to run swarms when im playing more combat heavy. poison swarms can make people cry plus they make great redirects. plus you always need them around for when your Abomination explodes!

Currently filling out 10k of rats, will post pictures soon

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

There is one thing that I will always have when I write a skaven army list - at least 2 units of giant rats. Minimum sized units to act as charge redirectors or to double bait and flee units that I want to be charging. They are beautiful and downright essential.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGnemmi View Post
    There's another Skaven player in my group, it wasn't hard to field an army with a different composition because we appreciate different aspects of Skaven.

However, this has made me look more critically at our book, and more critically at some units I've never used, namely Giant Rats, Warplock Jezzails and Rat Swarms.

Stories of success? Strategies?
    1. Giant rats have their place, being used to redirect your opponent's movement. I don't use them, as my mono-skryre list relies on war machines.

2. I use a unit of 3 jezzails, which includes a sharpshooter. They lurk on the edge of my army's LD bubble, usually behind a piece of scenery or inside a building. I use them to pick at elite units, calvary, and love models.

3. This edition killed the usage of swarms.

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Rat Swarm model! The contrast of ordinary rats beside Rat Ogres or a Hellpit really gives a sense of scale.
    I enjoy the qualities of the Swarm, being M6,LD10, Unbreakable, and ... Unstable. Depends what they are going against, an okay redirector and a good roadblock if they can last a turn.

On to Giant Rats, I always run at least one unit to a minimal size, they perform very well! I agree entirely with SILKiam.

Lastly Jezzails, i personally don't like them, but it appears others have success, so it would depend on terrain and your opponent.

+ Reply to Thread