Alternatives To Jessails - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Alternatives To Jessails

A friend of mine recently started Skaven and after two Isle Of Blood boxes and a Warp Lightning Cannon is pretty set for models. The problem is he really likes the Warplock Jezzails both in play style and fluff but at almost £11 per model they're ridiculously overpriced and being old molds they're not exactly high detail. They're just excessively expensive finecast. Currently GW is doing a 9 pack for £95 which is just insane. For one large (or 2-3 small) units, worth less than 200 points in game! Are GW ****ing high or something?! Forgeworld models don't cost that much! We at least get 4 game points to the pound with Chaos Dwarfs, these Jessails barely break 2pts/£ which is just ridiculous...

So given all that, does anyone know of anything that could make 6+ Jezzails (enough for a minimum 2 units of 3, or is possible 2 units of 5); for somewhere in the region of £25 (as opposed to the ludicrous £63 GW would charge for 6 Jezzails).

Current Armies: Warriors/Beastmen: 5000+ Pts. Chaos Dwarfs: 3000 Pts. Brets: 2000 Pts.
    Ogre Kingdom: 2000 Pts. Undead Legion: 2000 Pts. Kislev Contingent: 1500 Pts.
    Retired/Sold Armies: Dark Elves: 3000 Pts. Orcs & Goblins: 2000 Pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

I've seen conversions using the rifle from Kroot (40k Tau troops). Unfortunately the Kroot only have three fingers, so it's not a straightforward swap because you need to change the hand, but otherwise it fits.

In fact, I'd have thought any long rifle-type weapon could work with some conversion, so perhaps try looking at other parts of the 40k range for inspiration.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

I've seen convertions using empire hochland long rifle

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Human hands are similar in design, to skaven ones. If you're able to obtain a few empire rifle sprues, and add fur via green-stuff, you're golden.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

That's a nice idea, but I'm not sure a regular handgun is really large/long enough. Remember a Jezzail is a two-man gun. Also the empire handgunners mostly have their left hand molded on the gun, which is a bit awkward (though not an insurmountable problem) if you want to use it on anything else.

Perhaps another idea would be to look for spare 40k heavy weapons, e.g. from the imperial guard teams or elder weapons platforms. Most of those come with plenty of options, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the spares from well-known auction sites or friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake.

I should have added, that if you cut up two or three handguns and glued the pieces together, you would achieve the appropriate size. Still, there's the hochland rifle, which is found in a few empire kits.

As far as 40k weapons go, the kroot rifle seems the most suiting, due to its flintlock look. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/...arnivore-Squad

Friends and ebay, are still excellent options.
    Last edited by iAmMurdoch; February 11th, 2015 at 14:12. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread