New VC player needs veteran advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Wight kings: Sick as balls?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aye

5 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x1)

New VC player needs veteran advice

Hi guys. I have played WHFB for a few years now. always played WoC (~4000 points) and I am considering picking up a second army. I have always loved VC models and lore (it was my top choice vs. WoC). Unfortunately I have never seen VC on the table. The group I play with is fairly small. We only have WoC, Smurfs, LM, Empire, goblins, wood elves, and two occasionally visiting players: Dark elves and skaven.

So before I dive head first into VC I'd like to learn a bit more about them! I've read a few of the posts on this forum; Topic of the week, some of the FAQ posts, some of the help requests, and a few army lists. I still have a few questions however:
    • Are there units that are JUST PLAIN BAD.
    • What are the "Staple" units? units/builds that will be played in almost every army?
    • What are the most common lords and heroes? ie. Necromancer vs. Wizpire?
    • I really like the ghosty models, are they worth picking up?
    • Wight kings are sick as balls: does the performance match the model?
    • MAGIC! which one(s)?
    • how many and what type of extra models should i pick up for raised dead?
    • Where is FC worth it/a waste. Magic banners?
    • Actually useful RB magic items?
    Really the big questions are the first 2. I know the meta is different everywhere for how units are built and what goes well in an army. if you can help me out i'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Shoe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Hi guys. I have played WHFB for a few years now. always played WoC (~4000 points) and I am considering picking up a second army. I have always loved VC models and lore (it was my top choice vs. WoC). Unfortunately I have never seen VC on the table. The group I play with is fairly small. We only have WoC, Smurfs, LM, Empire, goblins, wood elves, and two occasionally visiting players: Dark elves and skaven.

So before I dive head first into VC I'd like to learn a bit more about them! I've read a few of the posts on this forum; Topic of the week, some of the FAQ posts, some of the help requests, and a few army lists. I still have a few questions however:
    • Are there units that are JUST PLAIN BAD.
    • What are the "Staple" units? units/builds that will be played in almost every army?
    • What are the most common lords and heroes? ie. Necromancer vs. Wizpire?
    • I really like the ghosty models, are they worth picking up?
    • Wight kings are sick as balls: does the performance match the model?
    • MAGIC! which one(s)?
    • how many and what type of extra models should i pick up for raised dead?
    • Where is FC worth it/a waste. Magic banners?
    • Actually useful RB magic items?
    Really the big questions are the first 2. I know the meta is different everywhere for how units are built and what goes well in an army. if you can help me out i'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Shoe
    Quick question - how many points you looking to play at? And is there a particular theme you want to pursue (all infantry, all cav, beast heavy, levy of a vampire aristocrat etc etc).

In general I'd say none of the units are plain bad exactly (bar perhaps ghouls in large numbers, and maybe rare-unit wraiths, but there are definitely units which are awesome. These include stuff like dire wolves (which make excellent chaff) as well as the humble skeleton warrior (always go with sword and shield). Zombies can be good but require a good magical support to make them an effective tar-pit.

As for your specials they're all really good, but the best choices are probably either horrors (which are awesome tanks) as well as knights (to bus your blender vampires) and grave guard. Vargheists are also good too.

Rare, in my view, is dominated by the terrorgheist - the thing is just awesome (but probably in for a right whallop of the nerf-bat come the next edition); I field one at 1k points and my friend absolutely hates it. I used to field 2 at 1200 and that was plain ridiculous lol. Anyway, aside from that you've also got the varghulf, coach and blood knights - while I've not had much experience with the former 2, the latter are also good, if perhaps a little expensive for what they do. Vampire counts really is (and always was) a character army, and a lot of your points are going to be sunk into those blender lords - stuff that detracts from that in my view, is a risk, but hey, give em a try by all means, just remember everything that can hold a bow or throw a rock will shoot at them though, same goes for magic, so watch out for it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Not had a lot of experience with vampires myself but at 1k points I usually run 2 units of 3 vargheists and tend to find them to excellent flankers, had them pretty much munch a unit of black knights and 20 ghouls that got a flank charge against them. I tend to at the moment run 2 necromancers and blocks of skeletons, got to say the corpse cart is very useful the always strike first to nearby units is a great help, though I tend to get it killed in every game so far...

+ Reply to Thread