What are Thralls? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

What are Thralls?

A kind of odd question, perhaps, but I think my knowledge of vampire lore may be out of date. I used to play Undead when they were one army (4th edition) and then VC when they first split (5th edition). The 5th edition book introduced bloodlines, which I think was a first at the time, but didn't to my knowledge include Strigoi so obviously there have been some developments since then.

Anyway, in the 5th edition army book, Thralls are basically the lowest level of vampire: you have Lords, Counts, and Thralls. However, I was thinking of running a Vampire Blood Bowl team and there there is a distinction between Vampires and Thralls, where the latter seem to be basically human servants (and sometimes prey). Neither source, so far as I'm aware, is particularly explicit about what Thralls are.

Is this just a case where BB fluff differs from that of WFB? Or has what a Thrall is changed over time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Thralls are not currently an entry in the Vampire codex, but the traditional meaning has varied from source to source. For some, a vampire's thrall can be a person or ghoul subsumed into the master vampire's service; in Bram Stoker's Dracula, for example, the mental patient and former solicitor Renfield is a thrall, and very much human. In Warhammer, the fluff at least, thralls seem to be the weaker portions of a vampire's get, so they would be the sired Vampires that aren't strong enough to break their master's control.

So you could run them as either newly-born Vampires, or as completely devoted human servants/slaves.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    the traditional meaning has varied from source to source. For some, a vampire's thrall can be a person or ghoul subsumed into the master vampire's service; in Bram Stoker's Dracula, for example...
    Yeah, I was aware of that - and even more so after a bit of Googling. I was particularly interested in what Thralls are in the GW/Warhammer universe (assuming this includes Blood Bowl, though realising that may differ from WF. Thanks for the reply though. Sounds as if there's no clear answer, which explains why I couldn't find one.

+ Reply to Thread