AoS VC: how and what do you play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AoS VC: how and what do you play

I'm going to give this a shot and hope not everybody just left by now...

what units do you field in AOS
    how big are your units?
    and how do you play them?

I have played one game AOS with VC against chaos and won
    i must say we used some add rules, limits on monsters, hero's etc. (Age of Sigmar: Competitive Rules Doing the Rounds - Bell of Lost Souls) we changed the hero + monster = both to only hero

I brought:
    -vampire lord
    -wight king
    -necromancer
    -Coven throne
    -5 blood knights
    -1 varghulf
    -3 spirit hosts
    -36 skeleton warriors with ancient spear and crypt shields
    -26 grave guard

so i had 100 wounds and 82 models

vamp lord went with skeletons, coven throne in the center, GG on the other side bloodknights and spirit hosts on one flank and varghulf on the other

must say that 30+ skeletons + lord command ability is pretty hard (4 attacks with +1 to hit) and spears gave me more range the amount of attacks was crazy

blood knights where very good to!
    he killed 1 each round but that one always came back!

wight king went with grave guard for the bubble, they really are good to for the erm, amount of wounds... (so weird way to make your lists)

i summoned 2 extra varghulfs who did pretty fine to
    one hold up 25 beastmen gors or ungors!

the spirit hosts are an auto include in my lists from now on... 3 wounds but 6 attacks and every 6 to hit is a mortal wound!!
    very good against high armored units and monsters!

Check out my painting and conversion blog:
    Krull's painting and conversion blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Sure - I'll bite!

First of all, I've got to ask, have you seen the video in this post?
    https://www.librarium-online.com/foru...tics-what.html
    It's all about new unit tactics in Age of Sigmar, and there is actually a lot of depth in this game. Whether GW intended that or not, the world may never know, but the fact is - it's there. A lot of the games that my group has been playing have been revolving around these kinds of ad-hoc "regiments" formed up (very often in base-base) and moving around the table together. And it really makes a difference in how the game plays. Mixed scroll "regiments" cannot Run as reliably (roll 1D6/scroll and use the lowest) but there are inherent benefits to staying "formed up" together. So if you 'run' your units and let them break up and fall out of formation, you're making yourself vulnerable.

Otherwise, I actually agree with what you've taken in your list, and the way that you felt it all played out for you. The great thing about AoS is the synergy - like you found with the Skellies and Vamp Lord ability.
    Similarly to the video, I usually run a "front rank" of Grave Guard in all of my units, and then pile the skeles in behind. It should be noted that we measure from the bases, which makes life quite a bit easier. The GG provide the staying power and soak up up the wounds, and then the Skeles stick their spears out over their heads and deal quite a bit of damage.
    The advantage to "single scroll" units like Blood Knights - who are good enough to run alone and unsupported - is that they can run. So when your opponent decides to break up his formations to cover some extra ground, you can keep your Knights circling nearby and just lash out and hammer him.

We tend to balance our games at about 150w, which gives us army sizes roughly comparable to what you see in a 2500pt army list. With "horde-y" armies like Undead, O&G, and Skaven you're going to have smaller forces than you're used to, but really it's not by a whole lot.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Mixed scroll "regiments" cannot Run as reliably (roll 1D6/scroll and use the lowest) but there are inherent benefits to staying "formed up" together. So if you 'run' your units and let them break up and fall out of formation, you're making yourself vulnerable.
    Do you allow someone to roll all of their run dice before moving any of the units?

Going by the rules, it looks to me as if each should roll and then move one at a time. So, if you roll a 3 for the first unit/scroll, you then have to decide whether you want to take the risk that the second unit/scroll may only roll a 1 or 2. If you don't want to take any risks, then all your run moves will be limited to 1", rather than just the lower of 2d6 (or 3d6, or whatever).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

heh, you know - I don't think we ever considered that. We understood that in combat scrolls had to activate separately, but when moving, you activate all of your own units and we were counting it as just "1 activation". So to answer your question - yes, we've been allowing everyone to roll XD6 ad then use the lowest. In actuality though, it should work as you say- making it almost impossible to "run" with a mixed unit.
    We do however play the charges correctly- long charges have a chance that your entire "unit" won't make it to combat.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Sure - I'll bite!

First of all, I've got to ask, have you seen the video in this post?
    https://www.librarium-online.com/foru...tics-what.html
    It's all about new unit tactics in Age of Sigmar, and there is actually a lot of depth in this game. Whether GW intended that or not, the world may never know, but the fact is - it's there. A lot of the games that my group has been playing have been revolving around these kinds of ad-hoc "regiments" formed up (very often in base-base) and moving around the table together. And it really makes a difference in how the game plays. Mixed scroll "regiments" cannot Run as reliably (roll 1D6/scroll and use the lowest) but there are inherent benefits to staying "formed up" together. So if you 'run' your units and let them break up and fall out of formation, you're making yourself vulnerable.

Otherwise, I actually agree with what you've taken in your list, and the way that you felt it all played out for you. The great thing about AoS is the synergy - like you found with the Skellies and Vamp Lord ability.
    Similarly to the video, I usually run a "front rank" of Grave Guard in all of my units, and then pile the skeles in behind. It should be noted that we measure from the bases, which makes life quite a bit easier. The GG provide the staying power and soak up up the wounds, and then the Skeles stick their spears out over their heads and deal quite a bit of damage.
    The advantage to "single scroll" units like Blood Knights - who are good enough to run alone and unsupported - is that they can run. So when your opponent decides to break up his formations to cover some extra ground, you can keep your Knights circling nearby and just lash out and hammer him.

We tend to balance our games at about 150w, which gives us army sizes roughly comparable to what you see in a 2500pt army list. With "horde-y" armies like Undead, O&G, and Skaven you're going to have smaller forces than you're used to, but really it's not by a whole lot.
    yes, i did see it.
    it has interesting ideas and tactics but it sure is very game dependent and will not always work as your opponent can counteract in some cases.

i never really tried the mixed units, except with characters in it, but then i rolled it separate from the unit and moved it along when they ran.
    in some cases when the character runs like 1 inch less, it isnt always bad, like in case of a necromaster, who will still be in the unit, just an inch more to the back.
    it is so flexible that it can be no problem.

did some of you tried zombies yet?
    are they ok? what about summoning more in the existing unit?

how many characters do you take? because in 8th VC tend to have "more" characters to keep em going..
    do you go for lots, so you can summon a lot?
    or less, but on monsters?

ow an interesting question!:
    the necromancer spell: (Vanhel's danse macabre)
    (...)pick a unit(...), that unit can pile in and attack twice in your next combat phase.

how you do it?
    attack with that unit, then your opponent picks a unit, and then you can attack again with that unit?

or

attack with that unit, attack again with that unit, then your opponent picks a unit?

i'm not sure how it is meant to be...
    Check out my painting and conversion blog:
    Krull's painting and conversion blog

+ Reply to Thread