<3000 2500 - 3rd place at Buckeye Battles - Page 3 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2500 - 3rd place at Buckeye Battles

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I like comp because it breed variation. I go to uncomped tournaments and you run into WoC airforce and nurgle demons way too often and the lists are almost identical.

US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

@Pinkus : Shadow magic offers aan opportunity when you get Oksams, that's true. But I was thinking of Khorne Forsaken backed by Nurgle Lore (less comp in my Area (shadow can only cast with 4 dice, nurgle is the normal rules). In your experiance could it work, I wads thinking of poison, T boosts, regen, etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Careful.
    What you're looking at is Comp-short-for-Composition, not Competitive. Players who want to go all-out and be very competitive will, and they're going to play very powerful lists. My group does this, as do any "uncomped" tournaments that you play in (most of the smaller events in my area are Uncomped). It's those cases were you're going to see 8 Crushers in an army, a core of Throgg+Trolls, and so forth. The really really nasty stuff.

Comp is alright, but you have to have an agreement to use it for it to be truly effective. If I say "I'm bringing my tournament list" to one of the guys in my group and don't tell him that I'm bringing a Comped tournament list, I'm toast. Comp limits the things that you can take in your army, but it also limits what your opponents can take as well.
    The best use of Comp in my opinion, outside of tournaments and practice for tournaments, is writing your "all comers" or "friendly" army. Comp gives you an idea of how cut-throat your army is, based on the standard of all the 'cheesy' options in the game. Certain armies - even fluffy ones - are going to be outright brutal. White Lions are devastating in a High Elf list, and running a couple of big units of them is very competitive, but a player who just wants to run a 'Chrace province' list, with all kinds of fluff about the White Lion homeland, might not even realize that he's putting a very powerful army on the table. If you run your "friendly" army through a comp system and come up with a score below 10-12, you might be kind of a jerk

Playing Warhammer like Magic is going to be a disappointment though. Firstly, despite my waste of several hundred pennies in wishing wells, there is no global tournament circuit which will make you gobs of cash, like Magic. Secondly, we're fighting the developers at every turn because they claim that they don't want their game to be thought of in such a competitive sense, so everything his balanced to a half-assed degree, exploitable, there are loopholes and vague passages in the rules, and so on. If you "razor's edge" all of your games, you're quickly going to lose some of the people that you play with. It's only when you're constantly having to keep your army at that 100% competitive state that you start to realize how stupidly expensive and frustrating Warhammer can be.
    Gotcha, I'll keep all of this in mind. So far it's my friend and I, but there's about 4 others that will have armies our size soon enough. We're even thinking of making a small bracket with a small $ pool so the winner can go pick up some models and what not.

I'm just uber competitive as it is. That's why when I stepped into this game I immediately went online and tried looking up what was "the best", but I'm not finding that with this game, which is hard to believe. I do see a lot of item/gift builds that are similar, but the units are always different. And when it comes to WoC you're dealing with 4 different Marks. (WoC seems to be the most popular by most.) I know this game's been around for a good-long time now, so maybe one day the developers might see it as something with high-competitive potential.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Well, one of the important things about Warhammer is the amount of options in front of you. Far from just picking 1-3 copies of maybe 10-15 cards. I'm not bashing magic, but there are definitely power decks. I played too, and there are "if you play Black, you need X amount of these Y cards in your deck, and maybe Option A Card or Option B Card."
    With Warhammer, there are power-hitters. Not so much in WoC, because the variations are very close (by necessity, when your only real differences are Movement, Shooting, and Survivability). However, there are usually 2-3 builds per book, focused on a handful of different units. The actual mix/max of those units is entirely dependent upon the player. What works incredibly well for one player will probably work for another, but wouldn't suit them. One player might prefer to use Magic to aid his units, another might forego magic entirely to field more models who don't need supporting. It's rock-paper-scissors, if you added a few hundred signs.
    I liken Warhammer a lot more to motorsports, actually. In Magic, you can have Red and Black. In motorsport you can't exactly have a Ford and a Jaguar. In Warhammer you have your army book, and switching armybooks is drastic, like starting from scratch. With other games, Magic included, there is very limited customization - this card always does what it says. With Warhammer, you can fine tune and customize within the framework of your army. Add a tenth of a wound in damage here, shave off five points over there, and strike a balance that works for you - very similar to tuning a car to scratch off tenths of a second or go just a little faster around that turn.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
    @Pinkus : Shadow magic offers aan opportunity when you get Oksams, that's true. But I was thinking of Khorne Forsaken backed by Nurgle Lore (less comp in my Area (shadow can only cast with 4 dice, nurgle is the normal rules). In your experiance could it work, I wads thinking of poison, T boosts, regen, etc
    I always thought Nurgle was good for foot soldier armies. I'd think it boost forsaken nicely.
    I don't play shadow magic much, just saying it works great with Forsaken.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

Figured I'd update this thread instead of making a new one.

My placing of 3rd at Buckeye was good enough to get me a bid to the US Master's again this year. SO pumped. Got 26th last year, 4 and 1. I like winning 4 games against the best, I hate ending 26th. This year, I want top 10! My best friend Justin (THE US Master)made it as well, so we'll be spending the next month drilling each other.

So excited!

9. LikeKaleb Daark liked this post.
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

NICE! I'm really happy for you. Of course, I didn't catch this until after sending out the PMs, but really, that's awesome.
    Obviously, be sure to let us LOsers know how it goes. I'd say keep a log, but with the Masters being a small group of 50-or-so people, letting them track your progress before opening the can of "whooping," is probably not a good idea.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123