<3000 2400 - Competitive league starting up - Need a little criticism with ETC rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    I know that I enjoy the snow.. it stays for quite some time
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

2400 - Competitive league starting up - Need a little criticism with ETC rules

So I have entered into a competitive league at my LGS and they are implementing ETC rules. I have never played with these rules before but having read through them I do not think it should really affect the way I play but not sure about the other army lists.

Lately I have been using a very Slaanesh/Fast list but have decided to try something a little different for me (this may not be different for some of you veterans though).I have put together a very foot heavy list and was wondering if I could get a little feedback from anyone whom has used a similar list or gone up against one like this.

So far it looks like two Lizardmen armies (one with two slaan from the looks of it), three dark elf lists (rider heavy), an empire list, a dwarf list, an orc list (although I know who is using this and no one feels threatened …. sorry inside joke), and a wood elf list (large 24+ unit of Glade Guard).

Festus
    23 – Warriors – Shields, MoN, FC – 421

BSB – MoT, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Third Eye – 205
    19 – Warriors – Shields, MoT, Musician – 333

Sorcerer Lord – MoT (Tzeentch), Chaos Familiar, Scaled Skin, Armour of Destiny – 345 (another thought about this guy was to go Shadow and swap out the Chaos Familiar for the Dispel Scroll)
    19 – Warriors – Halberds, FC – 353 (was thinking about the blasted standard here)

Chariot – MoS – 115
    Chariot – MoS – 115

5 Hounds
    5 hounds

3 Skullcrushers – Enscorcelled Weapons – 234

Total – 2371

Any assistance that you guys can lend me before the weekend would be appreciated.There are some serious bragging rights up for grabs.

Regards,

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."
    New Age of Sigmar
    Warriors of Chaos Project, Bretonian-Tale-of-Gamer-Project

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'd drop that 3rd unit of Warriors and get yourself a Chimera with regeneration and flaming breath along with some marauder horsemen. The balance can be used on a Disc for that Sorc Lord. If you're looking to be competitive, make sure you get the blasted standard onto the Tzeentch warriors and you bring a scroll. It will be critical for the big spells.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

Thanks for the response Maddock. I have never run a Disc S. Lord before due to the fact that the group I have been playing with tend to favour cannons, bolt throwers and anything else 'un-sportsman' like. (If you can't get it done up close and personal what's the point)

I may take a look at that tomorrow. I set up three matches with some guys who want to try out some of their lists before the league starts so maybe I'll change my list up for each match. That way I can try these ideas out and confuse the guys as to what list I will bring out for Monday.

Regards,
    New Age of Sigmar

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you face a lot of war machines thats an even better reason to use a Sorc. Lord on disc along with a chimera. Best way to counter war machines is to smash em in combat for the quick VPs. Then you have a monster and level 4 caster in his back lines.

Another fun thing to do is give a sorc. lord unholy strike and sword of striking along with the 3+ ward and crown of command for stubborn. Then run up to units and butcher heroes and lesser lords with your caster.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

After testing the list above with a few slight variations I have narrowed it down to the following list. Feel free to comment.

Festus
    23 – Warriors – Shields, MoN, FC – 421

BSB – MoT, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Third Eye – 205
    19 – Warriors – Shields, MoT, Standard, Musician, Blasted Standard – 368

Sorcerer Lord – MoT (Tzeentch), Dispel Scroll, Scaled Skin, Armour of Destiny, Disc, Biting Blade – 370

Chimera - Regeneration, Flaming Breath - 275

Chariot – MoS – 115
    Chariot – MoS – 115

5 Hounds
    5 Hounds
    5 Hounds

3 Skullcrushers – Enscorcelled Weapons – 234

Total – 2393

Regards,
    New Age of Sigmar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very close to an infantry heavy list that I've been planning. I like what I see!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1104 (x8)

Took another look at the rules for the army restrictions and current I am over. Sitting at 7/5 points.

- Third Eye of Tzeentch on a 3+ Ward save - 2 points (My BSB )
    - Each character after the first with a 3+ Ward Save - 1 point (My Sorcerer Lord)
    - Each Core Chariot after the first - 1 point (My second Chariot)
    - Each flying model after the second - 1 point (Either the Chimera or Sorcerer Lord)
    - Each Chimera - 1 point
    - Blasted Standard - 1 point

So taking a look at the list it would probably benefit me the most if I drop the Chimera since it takes up 2 points in two categories and then use the 282 points elsewhere. Perhaps two units of horsemen (one 10 with flails and one 5 with javelins). I will take one last look tonight at the list to see if I can correct this but if anyone has a better idea feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    New Age of Sigmar

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Ugh, really don't like ETC, because it doesn't quite limit the right stuff anyways, and when it does, it's an "all or nothing" sort of limitation - they might as well just restrict the unit. ETC is built as though someone looked at the Swiss format and said
    "whoa - too much math there for me, let's paraphrase."

Anyways, I agree - ditching the Chimera is probably best. Your list doesn't really support him right now anyways, having a general lack of flying or other "forward threats" to keep the cannons off him (there will still be more cannons that you're comfortable with, trust me) except for your general.

Otherwise, I can probably still save you a few points on comp. Consider:

The Disc on your General - if you're already dropping the Chimera, he's not your only flying unit, and MoT isn't really a "positional lore" anyways. I would rather just put him on foot, especially since I seem to remember them comping flying characters pretty hard.

The "Unkillable" BSB - if he's going into a unit, I think I'd rather see a really good armor save and the Dawnstone, maybe a cheapo Wardsave and MoT. They beat the hell out Third Eye, don't they? If you could get away with not having it, then it would be the first thing I'd drop. Unless you're planning to run him around on his own, you can use a Look Out Sir against templates, ablative regiment-wounds against anything else, and only really have to worry about getting decked in combat.

Slaanesh on the Chariots seems a bit overkill. You have the BSB nearby, yeah? They're slower than your infantry, so you should. The only thing that might panic them, would be the Hounds or other Chariots fleeing/dying nearby. Depending on how badly they comp the MoS on those guys, I might consider ditching it altogether.

Festus - really? They already hit you for having multiple casters in ETC, plus Named Characters, and I'm sure they're not fans of Festy and his unit-wide buffs. All you're getting from him is Poison/Regen. If you want the Regen, then you may as well eat the Comp and take Halberds. If you want the Poison, then I might just say that you're crazy

Crushers - how much do they hate DrOgres, because I've found from playing Swedish Comp that nobody expects the Spanish Ogros Dragon! They're a poor-man's Crushers anways, and they usually comp much better.

Forsaken - likewise, and depending on what you want/need them for, Forsaken will often comp a lot better than Warriors, even with Marks. In some ways, they're even superior, as Pinkus has shown in the past (and I think he convinced Borak as well).

Really, getting the most out of Comp means learning to break the Comp just the same as you would the regular points-based system. Do a little "math hammer" where you can, and instead of just looking at points, look at the Comp-price that the unit is carrying. Sure, unit X might not be as potent as Unit Y, but since Comp is usually based on a bunch of whiners trying to iron out the "net lists,"* they usually slip up when it comes to balancing stuff that doesn't appear as often - so unit X might cost half as many Comp points as Unit Y, and you could possibly get twice as many of them.

*That doesn't mean that I hate Comp, I'm just pointing out that it absolutely has shortcomings. I do hate ETC though, I'll say that right out
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread