<2000 Tau 1850 Competative list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau 1850 Competative list

Hi,
    This being my first entry on the forums and haven't been playing 40k in about 2 year and not ever played tau.
    After acquiring a large tau lot on eBay I had come up with what I thought was a cruel list, versatile, balanced and strong.

+ HQ (225pts) +

Cadre Fireblade (60pts)
    Cadre Fireblade (60pts)
    Commander (105pts)
    -Drone Controller
    -2x Flamer
    -Neuroweb System Jammer

+ Elites (880pts) +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuits (670pts)
    2x Riptide Shas'vre (225pts) [Ion Accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Smart Missile System, Target Lock.
    Riptide Shas'vre (220pts) [Ion Accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit (206pts)
    2x broadside with High yield missile pods, smart missile system and velocity tracker
    3x missile drones
    + Troops (252pts) +

Strike Team (72pts)
    ····[8x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle
    Strike Team (72pts)
    ····[8x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle
    Strike Team (54pts)
    ····[6x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle
    Strike Team (54pts)
    ····[6x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack (322pts) +

Drones (112pts)
    ····8x MV7 Marker Drone (112pts)
    Drones (70pts)
    ····5x MV7 Marker Drone (70pts)
    Drones (70pts)
    Drones (70pts)

+ Fortification (170pts) +

Tidewall Gunrig (85pts)
    Tidewall Gunrig (85pts)

Formations:
    There are two, the riptide wing, allowing the re-roll of failed nova reactors, +1 BS if they all fire at the same target, hellfire (if they don't move they fire twice. Also due to there being three they also get +1 BS from the fire team. In general it's BS4 riptide's, re-rolling nova's, shooting twice, and if at the same target the others get BS5. With marker lights any large blast can be basically on target.

The second formation is with all my drones.
    Drone Net VX1-0, +1 BS to all drones, in the formation and not, (shield drones for riptide). Also drones in the formation get jink, split fire and other rules.

the plan-
    The commander will join the drone squad of 8, get in range and pop off 8 marker lights of BS 5 (drone controler)
    The Cadres with join the squads of 6 and jump into the gun rings, cause they done count as moving, they get their +1 shot no matter what.
    The squads of 8 will run round and capture objectives, the squads of 6 will set their gunrings by objectives as well.
    Drones will dip in cover and lighting the enemy up like a christmass tree with their BS4 to 5 shots.
    Riptide's will just tear up units with the ion cannons with their BS4 to 5 plus marker lights. Gun rings will provide additional railgun fire power (as far as I know the gun ring cannot be destroyed, they will be manned by cadre fireblades BS5)

So what are your thoughts and what do you think my short falls are.
    It's a mix of potential table or focus objectives while battering any enemy forces.

Last edited by Outbackhammer; June 21st, 2016 at 21:18.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Right, as someone who just took a pure tau list to a top ten finish in a Grand tournament I can hopefully provide some advice

1. Drop all of the extra stuff from the commander. Just give him the drone controller upgrade. That's all he needs. He can hop around with the drones enough to avoid damage

2. consider switching out one of the marker drones squads of 5 for missile drones. That'll give you some interceptor fire power and some extra heavy hitting.

3. If memory serves (no codex to hand) tau can only have two hq's, with 3 you would be unbound.

4. Drop the gunrig's for just regular tidewalls. They are absolutely disgusting!

5. Bulk up your fire warrior squads to 10 strong to get the most out of the fireblades. 20 s5 shots at long range is a worrying amount of firepower to walk in to.

6. Lose the missile drones from the riptide units. They don't need it.

7. If you can find the points from somewhere stealth suits are beastly. Start them in cover and your opponent will be cursing you for them. Throw in 2 fusion blasters with split fire and opening turn they really can lay down some hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.I've dropped most of the commanders stuff, kept the neroweb jammer for 2 pts as making any unit have to take gets hits roles it nice to have. I also gave him just base Flamers in case of assult, drone controler kept, everything else gone ( saved 60 pts)

2. Can't take missile drones alone, they must be with a broadside squad? There's a little 4 next to the drone listing.

3. Is the hunter cadre their organisational chart? If so then I would have to remove 1 fireblade, yet for the bound advantages in not sure if it worth while? What's your opinion, if I cut out a fireblade I'll get BS +1 if 3 units fire at the same unit, and re roll on warlord.

4. I don't have the walls, but I still get fire base which allows for re rolls to hit, and the mobile platform, just no bounce back fire.

5. I was going to add more after reading ur comments but then looked at the stealth suits as you said, instead with what points I saved went with 2 squads of 3, all fusions aiming to hit tanks.

6. There removed (150 pts)

7. Added 2 squads.

The list has been updated above

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After some reading, stealth suits can't take 2 fusions to 1 blaster, so there goes that idea, instead I added some anti air, 2 broadsides, high yield missile pods, velocity trackers, smart missile system and lastly 3 missile pod drones. That of which would move with riptide's. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

I'd still vote to drop all of those from the commander. the flamer is only useful if he get's assaulted. If he's getting close enough to fire that in the shooting phase then something has gone horribly wrong. The flamer also becomes twin linked when you buy two, you don't get two sadly. Gets hot is also completely underpowered. Most armies will just shrug and pass their armour save for it.

Intriguing, I was under the impression you could take missile drones...I've certainly read a lot of tactics reports where people were taking a whole squad of missiles as they get interceptor under the formation.

I'm working of the Combined Arms detachment in my head. The hunter cadre may allow three. Best to check. Even if it is 1 HQ a lot of people will refuse to play unbound lists as they are deemed "overpowered" certainly tournaments don't allow them.

Again if memory serves you can't just buy the gunrig. It's part of the 265 point rampart. You can have a plain shieldwall for 60 points or buy the tidewall and add extra bits to it for the points...and if you don't have the model it's easy enough to scratch build one!

I'd seriously recommend a larger squad, even if you combine them into one. 6 stealth suits in cover are hell to kill with their 3+ armour and 2+ cover save.

woot free points!

They can If you read the wording its something like "for every 3 models one can replace their weapon with X" so a 3 strong squad can be 2 cannons and 1 blaster.

I'm a huge fan of high yield missile pod wielding broadsides they are so versatile and pump out so much firepower for their points! Generally I take them over riptides everytime. Again though I'd drop the drones from them and spend them elsewhere. (More fire warriors, squads of 10!)

+ Reply to Thread