<2000 1500 Points Advice against Imperial Gaurd - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Points Advice against Imperial Gaurd

Here is what I have so far, its fully decked out but I'm open to make changes.

UNIT HQ

Commander xv85 125
    Burst Cannon
    Fusion Blaster
    Counter Fire Def

XV8 Crisis Bodygaurds (2) 114
    Burst Cannon
    Plasma Rifle

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit 67
    Twin Linked Fusion Blaster
    Shield Generator

XV8 Crisis Battle suit 57
    Twin linked flamers
    Shield generator

UNIT STRIKE 1
    Fw 76
    Shas,ui
    Marker Drone

UNIT STRIKE 2
    Fw 76
    Shas,ui
    Marker Drone

UNIT STRIKE 3
    Fw 76
    Shas,ui
    Marker Drone

UNIT Scout
    Pathfinder Team 74
    Rail Rifle

UNIT Broad Sides
    3 Missile Sides 195

1 TX7Hammerhead 125

1 TX7Hammerhead 125

1 Riptide 185
    Ion Accelerator

UNIT DRONE 1, 2, 3 (198 total)
    MV1 Gun Drones

CADRE'S: HUNTER, RETALIATION

I listed groupings under UNIT, and the ones that are stand alones dont have UNIT above them. I know I am facing off against several higher powered tanks, and a lot of conscripts operating as human shields. My goal is to drop the twin fusion blaster and twin flamer crisis suits behind their lines on turn 2 with the retaliation cadre bonus, and try to sow mayhem among their ranks by dropping his conscripts as many conscripts and inflicting as many wounds as they can before the succumb.

Meanwhile the rest of my troops will be advancing part way up the field to bring some serious pain before he can deal with the crisis suits and bring his army to bear on me.

The drone units are just bubble wrap to better protect my units. They'll mostly hang out around my commander but if I see him bringing drop pods of his own I'll stick a unit near my missile sides.

Any advice on how to make this army perform better would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel I should add to my orignal post that I do not have a massive wealth of extra units I draw on. I do have an extra crisis suit, and I can always take different perks and I also have a storm surge buts that basically it. I do have a stealth cadre on order as well as some kroot and an extra riptide but it will be a little while before they show up. I am mostly looking for minor, but effective, changes to what I have brought to the fight but i will still take advice on what to switch out as at some point over the next month here it will be possible. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against IG you can make better use of firepower since nothing will attempt to charge you. Against tanks you could go with the optimized stealth cadre giving a ghostkeel guaranteed hit on rear and the stealth suits from the formation within 6 of the ghostkeel as well. Note that the rear hit is no matter the units position to the vehicle and ignores cover as well. The tau do have other well functioning AT possibilities as well so just take your pick.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

I'd suggest switching up the armamnets on the crisis suits. Pick a role for them and maximimise the fire power for that. Are they vehicle hunters or unit killers? If they are going vehicle hunting max out on fusion blasters, troop hunting burst cannons. smart missile systems are also a great addition on them.

Lose the hammerheads. They are an awful points sink that really don't do much in game. Spend the points on either the drone net formation or on more pathfinders. Markerlights will be far more useful to you than their awful shooting.

Are they two solo crisis suits? If so bunch them up. A single crisis suit will die in minutes to any sort of fire power and will lack the real punch to do anything.

The single marker drones in the fire warrior units, whilst tempting are again a waste of points that can be spent elsewhere. I'd also recommend dropping the shas'ui they aren;t really worth the points. I'd max a unit to 10 fire warriors and drop a fireblade in. That immediately doubles the units shots and that's a lot of firepower. Firepower the guard will especially hate.

If you have them, I highly recommend stealth suits. I take a unit of 6 give 2 in the unit split fire and fusion blasters and go to town. Turn 1 they are generally popping tanks whilst the rest of the unit peppers the nearest foot unit. Get them in cover and they are a pain to kill with a 2+ cover save!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll keep the stealth suits and fireblades in mind. I don't actually have any.

I'm not sure if I actually have enough drones to actually make that many drone nets. Besides aren't I limited to how many troop slots I can have? I don't really know how the slots system works.

Those two suits are both seperate. I know he likes to bring 3-4 heavy tanks, a couple of decent troop characters, and a freaking horde of chump cheap troops to act as human shields. My goal is to drop those two independents right behind his troops and try to rack up a few wounds on them. They are mostly there to stop him from just running up the board to stomp my troops into the dirt while I maneuver everything else into a better position to deal with him.

I know that his only big threats are the tanks to just from watching him play. Those conscripts are abysmal, and their strength is crap as well. I've seen 50 of them shoot and less than half actually hit anything, and even less than that actually managed to wound. My mechs are not scared in the slightest.

I need the tanks because I really truly lack anti vehicle fire power in my army (I'm still lacking in some models), and I want them at the front drawing shots off my riptide for me. I didn't realize they were that bad though, what if I upgrade one into a long strike? I've seen a bunch of battle reports that included the tanks in.
    Last edited by Zerieth; July 23rd, 2016 at 23:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres a lot of ways to get anti vehicle. Against the heavy tanks I recently mm ended the optimized stealth cadre(1 unit ghostkeel, 2 units stealth suits) because they're 14 front but 10 rear. This formation can get you a guaranteed reach it no matter your position. Of course other high strength weapons can be used too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I may ask then what are the hammerheads better for? I've seen a lot of armies on miniwar gaming that included them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Honestly. Ive not seen hammerheads be used for anything good. They are overpointed and just don't have a damage output to justify them. At the recent GT (i finished 9th with tau) there were easily 20 tau players. Not a single one used a hammerhead. If you put one down on the board your opponent will just ignore it. It really isn't a threat.

High yield broadsides with their multiple strength 7 shots are far better tank busters, even if you have to glance them to death.

If your opponent akes large mobs of infantry then bigger fire warrior squads with a fireblade are the way to go. 2 10 man squads will be putting out 40 s5 shots. That is a lot of dead guardsmen. If they get closer then you're looking at 60 shots!

Stealth suits I'm again going to push. A squad of 6 could potentially kill a tank and do some serious squad damage in a turn. 2 fusion blasters at half range will eat a vehicle and the 20 s5 shots from the burst cannons will do some nice troop mashing. And again the sheer survivability. It's all well and good a 30 strong guard unit pumping fire into them, but with a 2++ in cover they'll weather it just like terminators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have stealth suits on order along with more fire warriors and such. Also another riptide as I want to get up to 3 of them in my bigger games. From what I've been reading they are invaluable.

I have a game with him tonight sadly so I won't be able to make use of those stealth suits since I have to wait for them to arrive. It's a friendly game though and I might be able to at least bloody his nose for him. Thank you for the help. When i have the new stuff in I'll update this list or generate another one.

I would like some advice on dealing with space wolves but I can deal with it another day. I wanna try some stuff with the new stuff first. I imagine the fireblades will make a huge difference, and I aim to have 3 squads of 10 fw's shooting at that guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

I only run my riptides in 4k plus games simply to make points. Any less than that and I don't really bother >.<

In fairness once you get a good list going it doesn't change much regardless of your opponents. Tau tactics are generally lay down as much firepower as possible!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast