<2000 1850 Tau Tourny list (don't hate me!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

1850 Tau Tourny list (don't hate me!)

So there's another upcoming tournament using the ETC rules. Last year I entered and finished 9th out of 130 people so was pretty happy. This year hwoever they've ruled no big stuff over 550 points - goodbye supremacy suit. So I need to come up with something to fix that. So behold my list, thoughts. criticisms, suggestions all welcome I'm aiming for a top 5 this year!

commander - drone controller + 2 marker drones
    +
    5 marker drones

Fireblade
    +
    10 fire warriors

10 fire warriors

Stormsurge

2 broadsides - High yield missiles

2 broadsides - High yield missiles

Shieldline - 60

6 pathfinders.

Optimised stealth cadre:

6 stealth suits - 2 w/split fire and fusion blasters

6 stealth suits - 2 w/split fire and fusion blasters

2 Ghostkeel - Ion rakers, split fire and interceptor

The plan is relatively simple, the fireblade squad and pathfinders deploy in the shieldline giving them the extra manouverability to capture objectives as well as allowing the fire warriors to double up their shots. It obviously provides them with the added cover and re-rolling 1's to hit as well.

The buffmander will jump about the board using his drones to target the high priority targets at bs5 and 7 drones I should be putting down a fair few markers.

Missilesides will aim to pop the lighter transports and any troops relying on cover.

Stormsurge is obviously there to make a mess. The first round he'll deploy anchors, drop the blast templates in the middle of their line/towards a high priority target. The D missiles will obviousl launch towards whatever big mean thing they've brought to the table. Smart missiles and cluster missiles to target the troops.

The stealth will start midway on the board, moving up on my turn to get close and hurl some fire. The fusions will target vehicles and the bursts will hit troops before hopping back to cover for that sweet 2+ cover save.

The ghostkeels will support the stealth suits. Given their range if I get first turn they'll have to move up, but their jump moves should keep them out of trouble. Given that each model can use it's countermeasures once per game I can keep any enemy unit on the backfoot by making it snapshot. Given that I'm expecting riptide wings that'll be a pain in the ass for them.

So yeah, thoughts, comments, suggestins...tirade of hate because I play tau...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel your pain. People hate so much on tau just because they a lot of shooting and nothing else.
    The ghostkeels would not be able to make all the riptides make snapshots because a riptide wing is 3 until still of them(will still cripple them). If you face vehicles with high/higher side and front av I would use your optimised stealthcadre to deal with them (example leman russ). This will make your stealth suits and ghostkeel hit rear even when in front. The storm surge would likely go with the s10 lb heavy infantry units and the like would be ideal targets and big nasties for your sD missils like you said(note that it requires markerlights). If you find yourself in a safe position from these you can use the blast for hordes or vehicles lumped together.
    What you must think about is that against other tau you would likely face a riptide wing, heavy retribution cadre and marker drones. So you must be ready to face 3 riptides along with 2 stormsurges from tau players. They will hit hard but I do think the new chaos might be a bigger problem they're a flipping pain in the ass but if you made your list with these things in mind I don't think there's much to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Oh so much hate.

The riptide wing would have to snapshot as the wording is unit. If memory serves the riptide wing makes them a unit? I may be mistaken. If it doesn;t I can still make two of them snapshot which is helpful.

Yup that's the plan. Idea is turn 1-2 rear armour shots from the stealth teams and keels...

Again. On the nose. It's much better fired as a large blast. A couple of markerlights and that's pretty likely to hit on target.

My counter to that is hopefully my manouverability. Yes they are packign a lot of firepower, but they are doing so at the cost of accuracy. Not many people will run markerlights in those armies. This means cover becomes my friend. Ghostkeels and stealth suits both enjoying 2+ Even leaving my broadsides in cover will make them slightly harder to kill. The only thing that would be really vulnerable is the stormsurge. But if they target him with all their firepower it will leave the rest of my army free to roam. Take and hold objectives...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The riptide wing is a formation that is made up of 3 riptide units. A friend of mine said that they count as 1 unit for big game hunter or something like that. However they are separate units. So prepare for 32 s6 ap4 hits or 4 s8 ap2 lb/12 s7 ap3 and the 2 other riptide will snapshoot. However what I've been told is that the 2 formation will make up the core and then they fill the gaps of points with markerdrones to have some buffing. Cover will help you in such fights but try and be aware of your positioning if they are markers which I would say is likely. That will also make them able to use sD from their 2 stormsurges

+ Reply to Thread