Rear 14

Weapons
1 Solar Flare

Special Rules:
Living Metal
Containment Field
Supernova

Solar Flare: Range 24-96" Strength: D AP: 2 Special: Ordnance 1, 10" Blast

Containment Field: Because of the large magnetic field containing the harsh star fragment the Aeonic orb benefits from a 4+ Invulnerable Save. Additionally, the Solar Flare may never suffer from the effects of a Weapon Destroyed or Gun Crew Shaken result.

Supernova: Due to a breach in containment bringing disastrous results, if the Aeonic Orb loses its last structure point it immediately explodes; all models within 6d6" is immediately hit with a Strength D hit. Any removable terrain is also removed. This is done instead of rolling on the catastrophic damage table.

When I scratch build it I was thinking of using one of those plasma globes wrapped in a crinkled green plastic wrap to give the Necron look to it.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Seems a little cheap to me. Something that will automatically kill everything when it shoots and also everything up to 36" when it eventually blows up (after 3 structure points, AV14, a 4+ invulnerable and living metal on top of it - which is also a skimmer - and ignores weapon destroyed and crew shaken results) should not be 650 points. That should be more in line of 1500+ or even 2000+. Or not at all.
Basically I think this is broken even for apoc. games. It is an unkillable death machine and if my oponent tried to pull it on my I would simply laugh in his face.
Tone it down. A lot.
My suggestions?
1)Drop the ignore shaken and make it ignore weapon destroyed on a 4+ (or 3+ even). Keep the 4+ invulnerable. Even if you made it so it ignores shaken on a 4+ or drops stunned to shaken.
2) Drop the Strength D from the supernova. Instead settle for Strength 9/10 ap 3. It is still going to instantgib a lot of things, but isn't going to destroy everything on the board. And 6D6 is a little extreme. 4 maybe?
3) Personally I'm not too keen on a 10", 96" range SD template. What if you made it variable like 1-3 S8 AP 3, 4-5 S10 AP2, 6 SD? This makes it a lot more reasonable and also stops it from being overly expensive while still retaining a lot of killiness.
Even with all these reductions I still think the price should be more in the 1000's than 650 - that is just wrong.

·
179 Posts
I have an idea - it's a slight modification, and I call it the Night Bat.

Night Bat
Cost: 1,000,000 points
Kills everything
Utterly invulnerable, allowing for a successful conduct of point 3 below:

Rules:
1) Wrap a cricket bat in green crinkly plastic.
2) Whack miniatures to flatten them.
3) Run.

Seriously though, I think you have created an unplayably powerful weapon in the AEonic Orb. You don't have to create superweapons just because Apocalypse is out. What you should do is still build the thing, but use it as scenery or an objective. Perhaps units have to capture/destroy a control station or the AEonic Orb will "not only explode, but implode!"* or some similarly dramatic event.

Use the vehicle design rules to come up with new and playable weapons, not a new Death Star. But hey, don't let us discourage you - try playtesting in a couple of friendly games. You must make it clear to your opponent that you want to try something you have made up, and the game doesn't count for anything serious. You might want to do this in a relaxed environment, like a quiet afternoon at your games club, or in the comfort of someone's home, rather than bring it up at your local tournament! If it is playable and enjoyable then I am wrong and I hope you have fun with the Orb.

*Doctor Who and the Curse of Vengeful Death

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aeonic Orb
Pts. 650
Type: Superheavy Skimmer
Structure Points: 3
BS 4
Front 14
Side 14
Rear 14

Weapons
1 Solar Flare

Special Rules:
Living Metal
Containment Field
Supernova

Solar Flare: Range 24-96" Strength: * AP: * Special: Ordnance 1, *Blast, Primary Weapon, Pinning

Containment Field: Because of the large magnetic field containing the harsh star fragment the Aeonic orb benefits from a 4+ Invulnerable Save.

Supernova: The Aeonic orb suffers a +3 on the catastrophic damage table and any results of Apocalyptic Explosion are resolved as a Str D 6d6" blast.

*Roll a d3 each time it is fired, 1= 5" blast, Strength D AP 1; 2=7" Blast Strength 8 AP 1 Melta; 3= 10" Blast Strength 7 AP 3

The explosion effect mirrors that of the Warhound Titan, and after all, fluffwise this is a miniature sun exploding.

Ponderous would be redundant because any superhaeavy that isn't fast can't move over 6 inches anyway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you read the fluff around the orb, the stats you are giving are way to weak.

By fluff it would shoud 10 inch templates at the strength of vortex weapons, it can easely destroy Small titans in 1 hit.

it also has a secoond firering ability that would shoot within 24 inch of the orb.

that should be something like each unit within 24 inch suffers d6 shots at st 10 ap 1

but these i know are way the overpowered but would be the right way to show off the aeonic orb.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
And if you follow that route you should just let it have the special ability: Before each game begins, but after deployment, roll a D6. on a 1-6 the Necron player wins.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Try this, I would play against something like this, no problem.

Aeonic Orb
Pts. 725
Type: Superheavy Skimmer
Structure Points: 3
BS 4
Front 14
Side 14
Rear 14

Weapons
1 Solar Flare

Special Rules:
Living Metal
Containment Field
Supernova

Solar Flare: Range 12-72" Strength: 10 AP: 3 Special: Ordnance 1, 7 in Blast, Primary Weapon, Pinning

Containment Field: Because of the large magnetic field containing the harsh star fragment the Aeonic orb benefits from the ability to cause D6 S5 AP3 hits on any unit assaulting it before blows are struck .

Supernova: The Aeonic orb suffers a +2 on the catastrophic damage table and any results of Apocalyptic Explosion are resolved as a Str D 4d6" blast.

Ok, I know at first glance I weakened this thing a fair bit, but here are my reasons. I took a look at what you had and I thought to myself "Hey, what could this do on the table, and would I feel it was fair." My response was no. So I took out my Apoc book and took a look at the Bane blade, and based your stats off of it. Here are my thoughts.

1. I know this has less guns then a Baneblade, but you want Living Metal, you gotta pay the price.

2. I changed containment field from a defensive to an offensive power to deal with things like those pesky power fisting assault marines. I considered AP2, but felt that Terminator-class units should be able to stand up to a magnetic field, at least in the short-term. Besides, it gives this tank some much needed close combat defense. Also, a 4+ Invulnerable and a 4+ Primary weapon save on all gun crew and weapon destroyed results seemed busted.

3. I weakened the supernova by 2d6 just so it felt more balanced. 6D6 is overkill, for both players.

4. I made the gun more in line with the Baneblade cannon, which will help if people cry cheese.

(Separate thought)-----------------------------------------------
Now a word on building this, while I am not sure what a "Plasma Globe" is, I am picturing something along the lines of a small, round, clear glass paperweight. If this is anything like the case, I would recommend(in fact, I think I like this idea for my own Necrons;), if you wouldn't object to my using it.) coating the globe in a mix of perhaps Snot Green and 'Ardcoat. Not quite sure about the mix, or if another green would work better. In fact, I am questioning weather "Ardcoat would stick, but that is another tangent all together. Then I would say cut down a Monolith, to about 1/3 size, build a platform, and mount the ball on top, supported on a pedestal similar to, but larger then, that of a Monoliths crystal.

Of course, I could SO have the wrong ideas about constructing this, but I at least recommend using something more professional looking the green crinkly wrap.

·
179 Posts
That looks like it might be a little more reasonable. The key, IMHO, is playtesting. I would like to see how this pans out. Try it on the table top and let us know what happens!

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I tried it out in-proxy in a 3,500 pt game yesterday. We each took one super-heavy, I took the Orb, my opponent took his Tau Human Auxiliary Hell hammer. I won the game, and the Orb was pretty effective, but did end up destroyed by Railgun shots. I think that I should drop the strength of the gun to 9. S-10 in a blast from that range seemed unfair, although, I am open to other suggestions to try balancing this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

A battery version of one of those to get the glow effect and then the crinkly plastic wrap for the uneven star surface and necron look.

I might try to re-stat it at 1000 points to get the suitable "Killer sun" feel. Trying to combine the Defence Laser with the Monolith and Warhound explosion effect.

This won't be used in a serious game but in a tomb world siege scenario.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.