Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Black Legion

Votes: 17 58.6%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm juggling 2 different Undivided Chaos lists in my head right now and would like some feedback as to which you guys think is the better army.

Red Corsairs - 1,500 points

Huron Blackheart

Huron's Retinue - 9 CSMs - 190
Flamer, Rhino w/ Extra Armor

10 CSMs - 260
2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion w/ Powerfist, Rhino w/ Extra Armor

10 CSMs - 260

5 Bikers- 225
2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion w/ Powerfist

Chaos Predator - 115
Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Havoc Launcher

Chaos Predator - 115
Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Havoc Launcher

Chaos Predator - 165
TL Lascannon Turret, Lascannon Sponsons

or

Black Legion - 1,500 points

Chaos Lord - 130
Daemon Weapon

Lord's Retinue - 9 CSMs - 190
Flamer, Rhino w/ Extra Armor

10 CSMs - 260

10 CSMs - 260

5 Bikers - 225
2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion w/ Powerfist

Chaos Dreadnought - 105
Plasma Cannon

Chaos Predator - 100
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Chaos Predator - 100
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Chaos Predator - 130
Lascannon Sponsons

·
227 Posts
I accidentally voted for the Black Legion army, but I think the Red Corsairs list is a bit stronger. I know you won't have the Dread, but Huron is a gread cc-oriented leader, and I think your Predator loadouts are better in the former list.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. I am starting to like list two a lot better as well - just got Dawn of War (yeah yeah, I always end up getting games 2-4 years after they come out, on average) and came up with a pretty good original color scheme on it's army painter. Maybe I'll grab a screen shot and show it off, if anybody's interested.

Here's a follow up question - should I go with the Plasma Cannon or the twin-linked Heavy Bolter on the dread?

Plasma -

Pros - Effective against MEQ infantry (i.e. better than the heavy bolter). Can potentially damage light vehicles.

Cons - One shot - not twin-linked means with my luck, I'll probably miss. Could potentially go on a fire-frenzy and destroy my Rhinos.

Heavy Bolter -

Pros - Twin-linked/high rate of fire means I'll probably hit something. Not a huge threat to any of my armor if it fire-frenzies.

Cons - Only useful against infantry (ok, maybe AV 10 Vehicles too).

Finally, I've thought about switching the CCW on it to a Missile Launcher - making it a dedicated firing platform but losing out in Close-Combat. Against certain armies, this would be a big advantage - against others, I'd lose out. What do you guys think?

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Meh, I'd go for a Plasma Cannon. It can handle infantry of all kinds and lighter vehicles when the need arises. I understand your arguement about the HB and the Rhinos, but then again, rear armor stinks and it's probably just as likely to happen with three TL shots. (That's a guess, not an actual calculation BTW)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can tell you the rough probabilities for the Rhino dying to each weapon using the 5ed rules, but I don't think that'd be particularly useful given that vehicles are much weaker in 4ed. Just be aware that in 5ed, the TL HB is much more dangerous than the Plasma Cannon for the Rhino's rear armor, while the PC is more dangerous than the TLHB for front/side armor. I don't think 4ed is too different, but I don't feel like cranking the probabilities by hand (I wrote a program for the 5ed stuff).

Edit: The long and short of my post is: take the PC over the TLHB.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think the choice depends on opponents. If you face MEQ's, go with the plasma. If you face mroe Guard/Orks/Nid swarms, then a TLHB woulds perform better.Although having that PC to pop Sentinels/Killa Kans/Wartrukks/Warbuggies/Tyranid Monstrous Creatures would be a good way to make up points for the dread.

Hmmm.... I'd go with the PC. If you have problems with light infantry, those predators could do the job. Oh, and I myself would refrain from removing the DCCW. I Like the versatility of being able to fight close combat. But that's just me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like said before its a good idea to keep the ccw, because the dreadnought is also susceptible to blood rage making you close in with the enemy so you wouldnt want to get closer and not really pack a punch if you get locked in a close combat.
To sum up my banter, keep him versatile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts