Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So, I used to play Mech Tau and now the Space Marines take my fancy. I'm returning after a few years out ignorant of the metagame in 2009.

This army is looking to be fairly mobile and have the ability to pinpoint exactly what it wants to kill and when it wants to kill it. Main troop squads are designed to accomplish specific goals, while 1st company support runs rampant and Attack Bikes shoot at stuff/take objectives.

Please comment, rate and do whatever else you'ld like. If something I've done accidentally breaks a forum rule, let me know so I can deal with it.

Thanks in advance.

Captain - Terminator Armour - 140 (attached to Terminators)

Terminator Squad - Assault Cannon, Chain Fist - 235

Tactical Squad - 5 extra models, Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Sergeant with CCW - 190

Tactical Squad - 5 extra models, Lascannon, Melta Gun, Sergeant with CCW and Melta Bombs - 190

Tactical Squad - 5 extra models, Missile Launcher, Flamer, Seargant with CCW and Melta Bombs - 175

Note: Tactical Squads will usually be deployed as Combat squads, with the Sergeant and Assault weapon in one and the Heavy weapon in the other.

Scout Squad - Bolters, Missile Launcher, 2 Sniper Rifles - 85

Scout Squad - 1 extra model, all with BP/CCW, Sergeant with Power Weapon and Teleport Homer - 118

Attack Bike Squadron - 2 Models - 80

Attack Bike Squadron - 2 Models - 80

Vanguard Veteran Squad - Jump Packs, Power Fist, Seargeant with Melta Bombs - 175

Total - 1498

1 HQ, 1 Elite, 5 Troop, 3 Fast Attack

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
5 Termies don't last long on foot, especially without Storm Shields.

Lascannons are too pricey and fairly ineffective these days. Meltas bust up tanks the best and missile launchers are free.

Scouts don't like combat with WS3.

You need to bust tank, give those ABs multi-meltas.

Vanguard are horrible, and teleport homers don't work on them.

A foot gunline is not going to be very useful. Tacticals aren't all that awesome on foot and don't put out enough dakka at range.

If you want to avoid vehicles and used the SM book, I'd go for a Biker Captain and make Bikes your Troops, giving you mobile melta-happy scoring units so you can focus other slots on the dakka.

For dakka, see Cyclone Termies and Attack Bikes. Devvies are overpriced, Thunderfires are too fragile, and you really don't have much else. Sternguard work better in Pods or transports, LotD are fun but overpriced.

If you want a foot army, I'd look into one of the variant chapters since they can manage much better without vehicles. SW can do your gunline only better with nasty cav, scoring termies, unkillable death machine that don't give up KP and some pretty nasty assault to back it up. BA have mass jump packs and use them well. BT have old school Vet Skills, run at bad guys when they get shot, and big units of choppy dudes. DA still suck, but Deathraven (Deathwing and Ravenwing together) can surprise people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so it appears Mech is the way to go. How do you do Mech in the 5th gen? I'm thinking a few full tactical Squads tooled up to do mid range firefights (meltas), assault squads tooled up for close combat and a Predator?

Also, didn't even notice that Scouts were only that WS >.<

I'm thinking a Chaplain could be nice, but it's whether I can afford him with the points I'm spending on Tanks.

If I'm doing Mech, how many Squads (including transport) do I need to pull it off?

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Generally, Tacticals are going to be your scoring units and support. I like a multi-melta, flamer, and combi-melta on them. They can sit still and bunker on an objective, giving out a nice threat radius with the multi-melta, or they can go on the offensive with a flamer and one shot melta. Cheap and versatile is the name of the game.

Predators are great support as well, go for the autocannon and heavy bolters. Puts out a lot of shots at range and can help nail light armor or stick wounds on pretty much anything.

For assault, look no further than TH/SS Termies hopping out of a Land Raider. Dead killy, 2+/3++ is a pain to bring down. Easily one of the best assault troops for the points.

Speeders are handy for mech armies too, the Typhoon can nail light armor from across the board and drop blasts, while the MM/HF needs to get closer, but can kill anything when it does.

Chaplains make Termies that much killier. I prefer Librarians for the hood and Null Zone (force weapons will be getting much better too since bugs are losing Eternal Warrior).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure I want a 'raider; psychological warfare is one thing but a Land raider screams "aim Railgun here". On the other hand, a Crusader with a Chaplain involved foes sound appealing.

Also, still not sure about Multi Meltas. I want the capability to take down Monoliths, Land Raiders etc without relying on Meltas and Missile Launchers. I'm thinking perhaps I'll swap your Predator suggestion to have a Twin Lascannon on top, or just have a single Tactical Squad with a Lascannon (as I don't really want Devastators).

Might fit an Assault Squad in there too; would prefer jump packs to bikes if I can get away with it.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
You don't need to pop Monoliths, just phase out the Necrons and they go poof.

Missile Launchers can't hurt AV14, only glance (immobilized at best). Lascannons can, but it isn't very likely (3+ to hit, 6 to pen, 5+ to destroy). Meltas are best for this sort of thing (3+ to hit, 7+ on 2D6, 4+ to destroy).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.