Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

It's March, which means going through my annual bout with 40K and working on a new army list. I've got my sights on 1000pts. and then building to 1500pts. This is what I'm thinking:

1000 Points

HQ

Interrogator-Chaplain (Terminator Armor)—145pts.

ELITES

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Assault Cannon)—245pts.

TROOPS

Tactical Squad (10 Marines w/ Rhino, Power weapon, Meltagun, Missile launcher)—235pts.

Tactical Squad (10 Marines w/ Rhino, Power weapon, Meltagun, Missile launcher)—235pts.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator (Storm bolter, Dozer blade, Twin-linked lascannon, Heavy bolters)—140pts.

TOTAL: 1000pts.

Pretty simple. Tactical Squads rush forward to get dug in or claim objectives' Terminators and Chaplain deep strike, and the Predator shoots stuff. My biggest concern is whether or not the list has enough firepower. Also, I'm assuming I can divide into Combat Squads and still put all 10 guys in a Rhino--please let me know if I have this wrong. As for the bigger list:

1500 Points

HQ

Interrogator-Chaplain (Terminator Armor)—145pts.

ELITES

TROOPS

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad (10 Marines, Power fist, Combat shield)—270pts.

Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3 Bikers, Power weapon, Meltagun x 2, Attack bike)—205pts.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator (Storm bolter, Dozer blade, Twin-linked lascannon, Heavy bolters)—140pts.

TOTAL: 1475pts.

The Assault Squad is a personal favorite of mine, and I like the bikes for additional melta shots (two guns plus multi on Attack Bike) as well as their help with Deathwing Assault. I'm considering downgrading the Chaplain and sending him with the Assault Squad instead.

Not sure what do do with the remaining 25pts., either. Extra Armor on the Predator?

Thanks for reading and for any assistance.

--$$

·
Registered
381 Posts
hi

Working from the first list its pretty reasnoble but a few pointers, lose the missile lauchers 'cause there heavy and your in a rhino from what your suggesting your tactics are, I'd lose both missile lanchers and give your rhinos extra armour and smoke luanchers, on regards to fire power your spending over half your points on 6 models termies, that isn't going to be on the board untill at the earlist trun 2, defiantly drop these for the assault squad in army list 2, mabye drop it down to 7 lose all the unescary upgrades on the pread and a few marines (or them missile launchers) in exchange for a whirlwind to return the anit personal fire, so you end up with a decent sized assualt squad that can keep up with the 2 rhinos, a whirlwind and a pred (which should be changed to pred destruc with lascaonnos for almost same points but more AT)

Onto the second list, which is pretty solid, do what I said above with the pred, drop the melta bikes, and get another one of those preds, and then lose the missile launchers to carry on the whirlwind feom the first list with this you have 5 pecies of armour which will mean your opponent can't possible deal with all your tanks meaning that your rhinos will get to where they need to be and your preds and whirlwind will do there jobs. finally defianley put the chaplain with the assualt squad like you suggested, hope it helps (and you take them on board) if you do make changes be sure to post them,

Gilli

·
Registered
470 Posts
PEOPLE PLEASE READ THE TOPIC BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING!!!
THIS IS A DARK ANGELS ARMY!

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
mika, and you should know better than to post as rudely as you have.

However mika is right, this is a dark angels list and therefore the tactical squads can make use of the combat squads rule. (Meaning that half of each tactical squad can mount up in the rhino while the other half hang by and guard the missile launcher.) Adding to that, a lot of what you posted is useless gilli247, most dark angel squads are stuck at five or ten strong, the latter so that they can get more options.

Both lists look pretty good swordsworn; I don't think theres much I would change in either one. (I'd probably drop the assault squad for thee more ravenwing bikes and a landspeeder, but you want the assault marines; meaning no point in such a useless suggestion.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
hi

Yeah i know the special rules of the dark angels, I've read the dex through twice, what im saying is that its pretty pointless spending 50 points on 2 rhinos to then transport 5 men in each, so you might as well lose the missile luanchers and go foward with ten men in each, darkreaver/swordsworn/mika do you not think thats a good idea also the idea to drop the termies for the fist list, and do my suggestions (assault squad/whirlwind) (no O.k:0) and have a pred destruct with las sponsors i know its steering away on the dark angles theame, but hey, onto defending my points on the second list, do you guys not think its a good swap 3 bikes, and some missile launchers, for another pred and a whirlwind, I'm sorry if my ideas are rubbish but i thought they were quite valid and helpful,

Gilli

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Gah, dear god man; break up those sentences with some punctuation or something. Reading a large block of text is painful, but when its a single line its even worse.

As to your points, I do not agree with them. This is a friendly list, and swordsworn has already told us that the assault squad and bikers are something that he/she likes and so we should respect that and try to work the list around including those. (This should also be done in a competative list, but many people forget that in those cases.)

If you remove the assault squad, then a the army is down a decent close combat unit; something the twenty marines in the rhino's will not be able to make up (seeing as they do not have two one handed weapons to get an extra attack from.) Also, seeing as the assault squad can't lose anyone without losing five marines, I'd definately not agree with that. (Four assault marines make for bad cover for a powerfist; eight to ten are much better since your more likely to get some normal attacks in as well.)

Losing the missile launchers and ravenwing bikers also puts more pressure on other units in swordsworn's own army; mainly the tactical squads and predator. With the loss of the missile launchers and melta weapons, the anti tank power of this army is severely cut away. (Not to mention running the tactical squads as two large groups of ten means fewer scoring units that need be engaged.)

swordsworn, looking at your 1k list again, I would actually suggest dropping all the upgrades on your pred except for the heavy bolters, making the interrogator-chaplain a normal chaplain, and throwing in a ravenwing land speeder with multi-melta to make up the loss of anti-tank. (For the 1500pt list I would either keep the same setup or go back to the interrogator chaplain and your original pred setup.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help so far, guys. I'll experiment a little with the points later tonight and see what I come up with.

One question, though, and the answer to this could send me back to the drawing board. If I break a ten-man Tactical Squad into Combat Squads, I can still put all ten guys in the Rhino, right? It's about number of models, not number of squads I assume. I can rush them in the same transport, and then have them act independently (although units held in reserve can't be split into combat squads, the codex makes that clear).

I haven't found this clarified online (maybe the answer is obvious to everyone but me).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I'm experimenting with changing the larger list to incorporate some of darkreever's suggestions (Thanks for all the feedback!). I had forgotten full Ravenwing Attack Squadrons could be broken into combat squads, which gave me a new perspective.

1500 Points

HQ

Chaplain (Meltabombs, Jump pack)—125pts.

ELITES

TROOPS

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad (10 Marines, Power fist, Combat shield)—270pts.

Ravenwing Attack Squadron (6 Bikers, Meltagun x 2, Attack Bike w/ Multimelta, Land Speeder)—390pts.

TOTAL: 1500pts.

On paper, I rather like this version. It seems a little flimsy, however, and a bit of a one-trick pony. My goal is clearly to get in my opponent's face with mobile firepower, mechanized and jump infantry, and Deep-Striking Terminators. I'd better watch out for Tyranids.

So guys, based on your previous responses, tell me honestly: Are Marine Assault Squads simply not worth the points? Given the above army configuration, would I be better served spending the Assault Squad points on tanks or Devastators?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
So guys, based on your previous responses, tell me honestly: Are Marine Assault Squads simply not worth the points? Given the above army configuration, would I be better served spending the Assault Squad points on tanks or Devastators?
In all honesty, assault marine squads are not all that bad; however dark angle assault squads are very expensive in comparison. The eight man version runs normal codex marines under 210 points with the powerfist, even without the combat shield your squad is running you +250pts.

In my opinion, I would leave the assault marines out and get yourself someting else; like devestators or another tactical squad even. At 1500pts your running twenty tactical marines, the five terminators, and the full ravenwing squad; your model count is a tad low and could use with another squad of some kind, whether it be tactical or devestator.

The devestators would give you some more firepower, both in anti-infantry and anti-tank (if you chose to set them up that way) whereas the tactical squad would give you another transport and some more bodies for close combat given how many you would lose by dropping the assault squad.

·
Registered
470 Posts
mika, and you should know better than to post as rudely as you have.

The Dark Angels codex is almost a year now on the market, and for every second DA list I see here on LO someone gives the same advice :

take 8 man assault squad/add smoke launchers/take minimaks squads...and so on.

Thats why I don't post my DA list here anymore, it just so annoying.

But ok, I've overreacted so sorry.

As for the latest list swordworn :

You do not have any tough vehicles, which means that all heavy fire power will be pointed at your rhinoses (sp?) and speeder. They will not last too long.

So I would lose 5 assault marine, 3 bikes, and the combat shield and melta bomb - you will have 215 pts. For this points you could by a predator with sponson lascannons, and a whirlwind. Or two predators with heavy bolters, and a power fist on one of your tactical squads - by this option take a multimelta on your speeder. It should suit this list well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts