Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

For those who missed my post on the main forum, I'm thinking of doing an inquisition army based on a radical alien hunters group, using either Witch Hunters or Daemonunters (probably the latter) rules. Here's my 1000 point list so far, please feel free to give comments and criticism.

Inquisitor Lord – 144
Storm Bolter, Auspex, Targetter
1 Sage
3 Plasma Gun Veterans
2 Acolytes

Land Raider – 253
Smoke Launchers

Inquisitor – 45
Plasma Pistol, Word of the Emperor

8 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers – 188
2 Meltaguns
Chimera
Heavy Bolter, Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer, Smoke Launchers

8 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers – 185
2 Plasma Guns
Chimera
Heavy Bolter, Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter

2 Plasma Guns
Chimera

As you can see, it's very vehicle heavy, but very low on the model count considering they're just little stormtroopers. Any advice on how I could improve it?

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
Daemonhosts might make this army a little fluffier since it's radical, other than that, I don't know what else to improve upon (im pure).

P.S. - Chaos to Daemonhunters, if you don't mind me asking, why go for the opposite of your other army? (im just wondering your take on it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Inquisitor Lord – 144
Storm Bolter, Auspex, Targetter
1 Sage
3 Plasma Gun Veterans
2 Acolytes
the retinue is limited to a max of 1 plasma gun servitor. you could use the left over points to equip the other two with either heavy bolters or meltaguns, and/or a psycannon for your =][=

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
patient_zero said:
the retinue is limited to a max of 1 plasma gun servitor. you could use the left over points to equip the other two with either heavy bolters or meltaguns, and/or a psycannon for your =][=
I think Mantis is actually using veteran guardsmen, not gun servitors, so he should be OK.

I feel like I ought to offer some advice but ... frankly, I don't have a lot of faith in a DH army without psycannons or Grey Knights! (That's what sets us apart, in my mind.) So I wouldn't trust anything I'd say here. ;) That said, maybe ... maybe your ordo xenos army should take some inducted IG or allied Space Marines so it's not so heavy with ISTs? They're cheap in a pure inquisition army, but guardsmen and smurfs are probably a better buy when you want more models and/or more punch past your minimum 2 troop choices of ISTs. Plus you can get access to decent armor and more special weapons. (Surely useful against strange xenos tech?)

I'd love to know how this works out for you, however, just the way it is.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
number6 said:
They're cheap in a pure inquisition army, but guardsmen and smurfs are probably a better buy when you want more models and/or more punch past your minimum 2 troop choices of ISTs. Plus you can get access to decent armor and more special weapons. (Surely useful against strange xenos tech?)
Advice taken..

I will work up a revised list and edit it in here when I feel up to it. That land raider is a beast of a points-chewer, so it might have to go in favour of some decent guard heavy weapons. I'll throw it back in for the big games.

Thanks for the comments and help everyone.

By the way, yes, that is 3 veterans with plasma guns.. The plasma cannon actually strikes me as a little overpriced given the lack of other 36" range weapons, so I figured I'd go for a 24" anti heavy infantry/light armour unit.

I'm not going to back down on the psycannon though, I'm afraid. I know the stats are amazing, but it's often said in the fluff that psycannons are available only to the Ordo Malleus, so it just wouldn't make sense for me. I'm a fluff player.

As for why I've chosen to betray chaos? Well, Emperor's Children is a very scary army in which there are few bad choices. I love playing them, and I love the general theme of the army. But you can only be so fluffy and characterful about a bunch of crazed drugged-up sex cultists who go violently insane whenever they hear a loud noise. They just don't have much humanity, they're the generic bad guys. You can't really get more fluffy than the inquisition lists, on the other hand, and radicals have a definate appeal to me because they're the guys who blur the line and do immoral things in the belief that they're doing them for a good reason.

Why am I making things hard for myself by doing Xenos instead of one of the other, already released armies.. Simple, I just don't like the visual theme (no offence to those who do.) Ordo Malleus are paladins in big armour, which has limited appeal for me.. Ordo hereticus are puritan witch hunters dragged into the 41st millenium.. Ordo Xenos, on the other hand, come across as wierd soldier-scientists.. which is a lot cooler for me.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
The_Giant_Mantis said:
Why am I making things hard for myself by doing Xenos instead of one of the other, already released armies.. Simple, I just don't like the visual theme (no offence to those who do.) Ordo Malleus are paladins in big armour, which has limited appeal for me.. Ordo hereticus are puritan witch hunters dragged into the 41st millenium.. Ordo Xenos, on the other hand, come across as wierd soldier-scientists.. which is a lot cooler for me.
I can't blame you. As much as I sing the praises of Seraphim -- and am generally interested in the Sisters of Battle, too -- I actually can't stand the fluff of the Witch Hunters. I try and keep to the idea of the Sisters' faithful devotion to the Emporer and leave it at that. I play DH because I really dig the fluff -- as you say, the army is very flavorful -- and happen to be a sucker for the models. Big knightly paladins are just plain awesome.

But I've been waiting with bated breath for the Ordo Xenos official list and models, too....

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, here's the new list. Tell me what you think.

Inquisitor Lord – 150
Storm Bolter
2 Sage
3 Plasma Gun Veterans
2 Acolytes

Eversor Assassin – 95

Inquisitor – 45
Plasma Pistol, Word of the Emperor

7 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers – 175
2 Plasma Guns
Chimera

2 Plasma Guns
Chimera

Infantry Platoon – 300

Command Squad
Lascannon

Infantry Squad
Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad
Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad
Missile Launcher

Orbital Strike (Barrage Bomb) - 60

1000 Points

As you can see, it now functions a little differently, with a much more infantry heavy bias. The basic plan is for the guardsmen to sit back and use their heavy weapons to create danger zones and try to limit the role of enemy tanks and vehicles (though the missile launchers should be effective against a variety of targets as well.) Meanwhile, the stormtroopers roll forward in their chimeras to capture objectives and key positions, generally adopting a more mobile strategy.

As for the eversor and the bomb, neither of which were in the original.. Well, the bomb is really to fill up points, but my reasoning was to try and disrupt a player who takes a static approach. The assassin is there for much the same reason.. Those stormie squads are going to get shot to pieces if an enemy can bring a solid ammount of firepower to bear on them.. hopefully, the assassin will be able to deal with threatening units, or else keep them moving to limit their effectiveness.

·
Registered
294 Posts
the barrage bomb :hmm: ? for ten more points that orbital strike becomes much more nasty. not that it will kill anything - but it makes it a lot scarier to your opponent and can be used to manipulate their tactics more effectively

edit: drop word of the emporer for the points, unless you have a specific tactic in mind.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I did have a specific tactic for that one..

I'll agree the statistics on it aren't good, but the reason I put it there was because it's a cheap power which could potentially allow an extra round of rapid firing before the unit gets assaulted.

If anything, my current thought it to drop the bomb altogether and take another inquisitor for the other unit. They're nice and fluffy, and to be honest, for those points they're considerably more worthwhile than upgrading to a veteran stormtrooper, in my opinion (which is just my opinion, of course.)

Any tips to help me use or exploit this tactic.. short of taking a Culexus (which I have the model for, but am a little leery about for standard games) I can't think of any way to make Word of the Emperor more effective.

I may also downgrade the lascannon on the command squad to a missile launcher, as it seems odd to spend 10 points on a point of strength which will only hit half the time. In return, I may swap one of the stormtrooper units plasma guns for meltaguns.

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
Emporer's Tarot could be very useful for you. Since using it i've won 4/7 1st turn rolls by a margin of 1-2. It's your call, the chance of getting minus 1 though is pretty unlikely, I haven't gotten it yet.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree. Getting the first turn with this army could be quite important.. a first turn Eversor charge is a rather tasty prospect, after all, so Emperor's Tarot could work well. I'll look for a way of sneaking it in next time I update the list.. still working out a few tweaks here and there.

Again, thanks everyone. You've helped a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts