Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a tournament coming up at my local gw to do with the winter crusade.
The game is doubles 500 however my mate will be using my necrons (due to a failure to paint his models in time). As such the list has to split 500/500 ish. Other rules include that only 1 HQ and 1 troop choice is required across the entire army.

Heres the list that seems to be working best against my friends (space marines, tau and IG):

HQ

Necron lord : 140
Res Orb

Troop:

10 Warriors : 180
10 Warriors : 180

Fast Attack:

5 destroyer : 250
5 destroyer : 250

The plan is to "hit and run"/snipe the enemy for the victory conditions, an example would be for kill points to keep the warriors hidden and take out 1 or 2 weak troop choices from a distance with the destroyers before turbo boosting to our end of the board, forcing them to waste 2 turns to come to us.
For the two objective style games, we'd simply guard the objective with the warriors and turbo boost the destroyers to their objectives in the last turn.
Relying heavily on staying hidden, and the necrons abilities to not die.

However wanted some advice on what to do against armies such as green tide.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I would personally advise against having the destroyers 5 strong 4 (per squad) is enough to get the job done while keeping costs down and with points so tight for this list saving those 100 points can go a long, long way.

With the spare 100 points I would actually go with eaither a large unit of scarabs (who cares if they die, if they tie something up for a few turns you are sorted) or a tombspyder and some more warriors. While it may seem to go against the grain as it were, tombspyders will help significantly against the green tide - a good salvo of gauss fire and a charge by a tombspyder will tear a decent chunk out of any mob (though powerklaw nobs are something you simply cannot escape).

Scarabs on the other hand can be used to tie units up forver (though a unit of boyz will tear through them at a reasonable pace) - notably scarabs excel against marines. Sure they will only down a marine or two a turn but most marine units lack enough attacks to grind through that many wounds consistently - giving you a strategic advantage.

Or failing that jsut add more warriors.

Perhaps another solution would be to skip the second warrior unit (as you say you only require 1 troops) and with the spare 100 points plus the 180 for the warriors, add in some immortals and a bit of gear for the lord to help him be a bit more survivable (a phase shifter would be a good idea) - the immortals can then fill the void that the warriors would perform at larger levels while the warriors themselves can do as you originally plan - sit on an objective and do very little.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Revised list:

HQ:

Lord: 140
Res orb

Troop:

10 warrior: 180

Fast attack:

4 destroyer: 200
8 scarabs: 96

Can scarab swarms contest? Could give me another turbo booster to stop the enemy win

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
That's a very decent list. Necrons are hard to play competitively at 1000 points due to the very high cost of our required units (Lord, 2 x Warriors). I would only say that a Tomb Spyder goes a long way and is a great option to have against MEQ's. It's one of the best counter-assault units we have against Marine-type armies.

Yes, Scarabs can contest. Also don't forget that when Turbo-Boosting, Scarabs have a 2+ Cover save due to being a Small Target (+1 Cover).

·
I Sincerely Want a Parrot
462 Posts
Can scarab swarms contest?
Yes, they can contest, they just can't score. I like the list, however I would be inclined to drop the Scarab Swarm down to 6 to free up points for Disruption Fields on them. 6 Swarms will do the same job that 8 does, (ie, offer cover saves, tar-pit, stay alive in terrain somewhere until a 5th turn turbo-boost onto an objective), but with Disruption Fields they become a threat to vehicles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went for 8 due to needing something to hold up things like an ork horde, and with a Pklaw taking out 2-3 bases a turn i didnt want to lose the unit in their first round of holding up.

As for vehicles, so far the destroyers have proved efficient enough as against vehicle armies the vehicles face my warriors (or at least have done so far) allowing for rear shooting with some well placed destroyers.

As for the tomb spider, i would, but unfortunately i only have the PP model, not to mention theres still the P Klaw threat again.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I find most opponents are reasonable when I tell them I'm not using the PP on my Spyder. If you need to, add a couple "blades" to it or something. As for the power klaws, the spyder strikes first, and will be able to knock down a few orks before getting death-scissored.

The Scarabs should do fine for the most part though. 8 of them is a good choice, plenty of wounds for your opponent to chop through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm somewhat new to this but by the sounds of the other suggestions the best list would be

HQ:

Lord: 140
Res orb

Troop:

Fast attack:

3 destroyer: 150
8 scarabs: 96

Heavy Support:

Tomb Spyder: 55

has anyone had a chance to play this list yet? because I'm trying to decide which army to build and am considering a necron army that is somewhat similar to this one is

·
Registered
406 Posts
Its good for a 1000pts.

The tombspyder can easily spawn an additional scarab base to gain another 3 wounds at toughness 6 (majority rules :dance:).

This phalanx to be able to handle anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok the tournament is this saturday!
Since then the store has informed me that it is infact 1200 with a 600/600 split as well as being strictly WYSIWYG (so no tomb spiders because i dont want particle projs)
As such i have modified the list to what i think would be best:
I came up with two options with the latter being my favourite (my monolith always seems to explode in the 2nd turn if i field it, or not get in till the 5th turn if i deep strike >.<)

10 warriors 180
10 warriors 180
Monolith 235

split

Lord 140
orb
4 destroyers 200
4 destroyers 200
5 scarabs 60

Lord 200
orb
veil
4 destroyers 200
4 destroyers 200

split

10 warriors 180
10 warriors 180
2 heavy destroyers 130
9 scarabs 108

My main reasons for preffering the latter is because 4 of 6 squads can turbo boost (super threatening in control point games)
In addition i have 2 str 9 shots per turn, and the veil for porting a unit of warriors away from large threats (such as orks or nids in melee)

Giving me an extremely fast moving, and thus hard to contain army.
Im thinking of fielding the 2 destroyers in 2 1 man squads to increase theyre survivability (what would normally kill 2 is only allowed to kill one) through WBB.

Thoughts and criticisms please?
be as harsh as you like, its only going to help and i really want to prove necrons can still kick ass at lower point games in my store :p

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmm...

I don't know. The VoD seems a little costly in a 1200pts game, though that's just me because I never use it. The monolith can do the same but one extremely lucky shot and roll can put it down. Also, you'd have to spend the points in the first place. I'd be more inclined to take a GoF, as it makes all the difference in robbing a horde of their bonus attack.

Just clarify one thing for me, why the two heavy destroyers? IMHO, they seem very costly for single wound models. As you said, this is a control point game. Any necron with gauss or D-fields, with the right volume of hits will at least shake a vehicle so it doesn't threaten your troops. Or stun/immobilise it, its a turn(s) wasted, not being able to move to contest.
If you wish to use the heavy destroyers, then opt for the split units BUT place them close enough for WBB, then you're good. Be sure to explain very slowly for your opponent before the game as to avoid unnecessary conflicts when he finds he can only shoot at one heavy destroyer as a unit. (Its happened before).

Scarabs are very useful indeed. I'd pick out a valuable target, maybe one that is moving for control and just tar pit them. Not only will that unit be rendered useless for X amount of turns but you will also be contesting in the process.

Just run your warriors to control points as fast as you can and get them in cover ASAP. Yes, we have WBB but lets try to avoid relying on it and risk failing a cover save instead (against those nasty low AP weapons).

Other than all that, I reckon it'll do well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts