Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've finally worked out a list on the 1000 point scale that's been working pretty well for me. I've gone 2 wins, 0 losses with it so far, though both were against the same opponent & list. I'm going to playtest it more intensely.

Without further ado, here is the list:

HQ:

Brother-Captain w/ Frag Grenades
-3 Grey Knight Terminators
-1 Grey Knight Terminator w/ Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

TROOPS:

8 x Imperial Storm Troopers
-Meltagun
-Chimera Transport w/ Multi-Las, Heavy Bolter, Smoke Launchers

-Plasma Gun

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Grey Knights Land Raider
-Extra Armor
-Smoke Launchers

Grey Knights Dreadnaught
-Twin-Linked Lascannon
-Missile Launcher

1000 Points exactly

The key to this list has been taking out any targets that can kill the Land Raider. If the Land Raider can't be killed, then you can protect over half the points in this list. A big help has been unloading the Termies into an area where they can massacre a unit and then consolidate from unit to unit, wiping them out.

I should point out that the Tau list that I've played against has a lot of anti-mech, and my transports always die and the dread eventually does, but every unit is able to do what it needs to.

I've been thinking of dropping 1 more IST from each squad to put another meltagun and plasmagun into their respective units, but I might want more bodies. I haven't decided yet.

-Spaar

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
HQ:

Brother-Captain w/ Frag Grenades
-3 Grey Knight Terminators
-1 Grey Knight Terminator w/ Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

TROOPS:

-Meltagun

-Plasma Gun

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Grey Knights Land Raider
-Extra Armor
-Smoke Launchers

Grey Knights Dreadnaught
-Twin-Linked Lascannon
-Missile Launcher

1000 Points exactly
Hmmm, well if it were me, I'd certainly drop two ISTs to get additional special weapons for the squad (since the hellguns aren't that great by themselves). Also, models in Terminator armor can't have Frag Grenades, so that needs to go =(. Otherwise it looks pretty good -- really close to a list I used to run against 'nids. I'm frankly surprised to hear that you've had success against Tau! Seems to be the main weakness with this list, is the LR taking up 1/4 of the points while carrying another 1/4 =). But, if it's working for you, then by all means stick with it!

-H

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm frankly surprised to hear that you've had success against Tau! Seems to be the main weakness with this list, is the LR taking up 1/4 of the points while carrying another 1/4 =).
-H
You know, the only successful games I've had against Tau were ones where I brought my Land Raider. Could be because our resident Tau player favors a couple Hammerheads over many Broadsides, but hey...LRs and Crusaders carry plenty of just the right weapons to take against Tau. ALWAYS take Extra Armor and Smoke Launchers, and use terrain to keep as many railguns as possible away from it...for extra security, take a Callidus Assassin and mess with your opponent's deployment a little, though that might have to wait for 1500+ point games.

Last thing I'd recommend is a little psychological warfare...your opponent is likely going to have MANY more units than you, so he'll probably be able to see your entire deployment before he gets around to his Fast Attack and HQ sections. Find a way to fake him out so that he deploys his force all across his table edge, then hit him in a single area to wipe out a section of his/her army early on. Make sure you send your whole army after only part of his, and wipe him out piece by piece.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You know, the only successful games I've had against Tau were ones where I brought my Land Raider. Could be because our resident Tau player favors a couple Hammerheads over many Broadsides, but hey...
Interesting. I suppose having him throwing solid rail rounds at your LR means he's not throwing submunition rounds at your Grey Knight squads =). Well, I guess this goes to show that conventional wisdom (ie all your tanks are belong to Tau) isn't always correct ;).

-H

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, I guess this goes to show that conventional wisdom (ie all your tanks are belong to Tau) isn't always correct ;).-H
My usual assault formation is a Land Raider (with GKs) just to one side of center, with a Chimera (with ISTs) beside it and Seraphim around somewhere, in between or taking cover in back. The LR covers the Chimera's side armor and the whole group has a very substantial amount of close range shooting and assault capability. Follow that up with a Callidus Assassin showing up in my opponent's army to a) tie up more shooters and b) create a combat to block LOS even more, and I can pretty effectively isolate a good-sized part of my opponent's force. Though that's usually in 1500.

Though that does bring me to another point for Spaar's list: the more vehicles you have, the more space they take up and the easier it will be for a Tau (or any AT-heavy force) to find LOS. Be very careful since while you can cover your Chimeras' side armor well with other vehicles and terrain, their front armor doesn't stand up to repeated lascannon or railgun fire well, even with smoke launchers deployed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts