Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, this is my first foray into the Imperial Guard, and I thought it would be best to get some veteran opinions on my list before I spend a lot of money on it. Here it is.

Imperial Guard Army List
Headquarters:
(1) Junior Officer 40
+Honorifica Imperialis __
Turns the Junior Officer into a Senior Officer
(4) Four Guardsmen --
+ Vox-Caster _
+Standard Bearer _
+Medic _
(6) Mortar Support Squad 80
Six Guardsmen forming three heavy weapon crews

Troops:
Infantry Platoon Alpha
(5) Command Squad 40
Junior Officer
Four Guardsmen
+Vox-Caster _
(10) Infantry Squad I 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter __
+Plasma Gun __
+Flamer _
(10) Infantry Squad II 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter __
+Grenade Launcher _
(10) Infantry Squad III 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Lascannon __
Infantry Platoon Beta
(5) Command Squad 40
Junior Officer
Four Guardsmen
+Vox Caster _
(10) Infantry Squad I 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter __
+Plasma Gun __
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter __
+Grenade Launcher _
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Lascannon __

Heavy Support:
(1) Leman Russ I 140
Hull Mounted Lascannon ___
Heavy Bolter Sponsons ___
(1) Leman Russ II 140
Heavy Bolter __
Heavy Bolter Sponsons ___

77 (75 Infantry + 2 Tanks) 1002

Arg, my eyes. Not cool. Please reread our forum rules. You'll find that we don't allow the exact costs of models, upgrades and the like to be posted here. - Katie D

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Hi, welcome to Librarium Online. When posting army lists, please be sure to post them in the army-specific subforum. You can find it just above the normal Imperial Guard section.

Thanks.

Thread moved.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Welcome to the ranks!

Lets have a look at this list then,
Firstly seen as some of your individual prices have been edited youll need to take out the other ones for the squads and put full unit prices in their place.

HQ:
The HI doesnt just upgrade to a senior officer (id delete this bit aswell its in the book and is rules so shoudlnt really be posted)
The vox can be dropped aswell as it isnt needed after looking through the whole list.
the medic also has no use in this squad as you have no plasma. The reason for this is that plasma is generally the only regular save these guys will take. Most weapons are better than our armour so we dont get many armour saves.

Troops:
The first platoon needs a few tweaks.
The command can drop the vox, they dont have need for the command leadership tbh and the line squads dont have any voxes which makes them rather redundant.
The command squad also needs a weapon of some sort. A mortar or missile launcher woudl be good though a couple of special weapons can be good for a counter attack unit.
The first squad has two special weapons so id drop the flamer as its the worse out of the two.
The armament of the squads is quite ood overall. The second platoon just needs to lose the vox and gain a weapon for the command and itll be sorted!

Heavy support:
Solid choice though giving them the triple heavy bolter setup is better and more useful. It does require a little converting but looking through your list you shoudl have two spare heavy bolters after your purchases.

Overall a nice balanced list. Be careful of your leadership bubbles and you shoudl be fine. Some will say the mortars are rubbish but one in each of your commands (again with your purchases this should be acheivable) will give you six mortars to rain down fire with which can be fun. With this list you may want to change two of the line heavy bolters (the plasma squad ones probably) to autocannons to take out light tanks and transports. This woudl round out the list a little better with only a slight loss to the anti infantry (which tbh woudl be added to with the addition of mortars!)

Hope that helps

A

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your careful and thoughtful analysis Comisarlestat, I really appreciate your taking the time to look at my list and provide such detailed feedback.

Taking into account your recommendations, my new list would look like this:

Imperial Guard Army List (Revised)
Headquarters:
(1) Junior Officer 40
+Honorifica Imperialis
(4) Four Guardsmen --
+Standard Bearer

Troops:
Infantry Platoon Alpha
(5) Command Squad 40
Junior Officer
Four Guardsmen
+Mortar
(10) Infantry Squad I 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Auto cannon
+Plasma Gun
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter
+Grenade Launcher
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Lascannon
Infantry Platoon Beta
(5) Command Squad 40
Junior Officer
Four Guardsmen
+Mortar
(10) Infantry Squad I 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter
+Plasma Gun
(10) Infantry Squad II
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter 10
+Grenade Launcher
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Lascannon

Heavy Support:
(1) Leman Russ I 140
Hull Mounted Lascannon
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
(1) Leman Russ II 140
Heavy Bolter
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

83 (81 Infantry + 2 Tanks) 1061

As you can see i'm a little over 1000, ill have to try and find a way to cut a few points.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Looks great. Not sure how to sort the points out though.

Possibly drop the mortar squad and get a mortar int he main command and extra armour on the russes? something like that would work well. I dont think there is really anywhere else the list could happily drop points!

Hope that helps

A

·
2,399 Posts
Me (and mine)

Thanks for your careful and thoughtful analysis Comisarlestat, I really appreciate your taking the time to look at my list and provide such detailed feedback.

Taking into account your recommendations, my new list would look like this:

Imperial Guard Army List (Revised)
Headquarters:
(1) Junior Officer 40
+Honorifica Imperialis
(4) Four Guardsmen --
+Standard Bearer

Did you know that you can get the mortars out of your 3xman heavy weapon squads, then make 3x tripod heavy weapons? and 3x Missile launchers (place on standing man. Voila) cheaper, easy. Hint.

Troops:
Infantry Platoon Alpha
(5) Command Squad 40
Junior Officer
Four Guardsmen
+Mortar
(10) Infantry Squad I 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Auto cannon
+Plasma Gun
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter
+Grenade Launcher
Ok, but you could drop this for 8.

Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Lascannon
Remove entire squad. I have a better plan (see below). save 85

Infantry Platoon Beta
(5) Command Squad 40
Junior Officer
Four Guardsmen
+Mortar
(10) Infantry Squad I 60
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter
+Plasma Gun
(10) Infantry Squad II
Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Heavy Bolter 10
+Grenade Launcher
AAGH! will people stop doing this! i cannot see a use for a GR launcher in an Inf squad - get the right heavy weapon, or get a better special weapon. sorry, ranting. you weren't to know. And i'm tempted to stick one on mine (admittedly to squeeze 2 points) plus 8 points

Sergeant
Nine Guardsmen
+Lascannon

Drop this - save 85 anndd...

Heavy Support:
(1) Leman Russ I 140
Hull Mounted Lascannon
Nooo!! Use Heavy bolter. Save 10

Heavy Bolter Sponsons
(1) Leman Russ II 140
Heavy Bolter
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

83 (81 Infantry + 2 Tanks) 1061

Add edit = 196 points saved. 131 points leftover = get a 6xman squad of Hardened Vets, with a lascannon at 70 points. They have BS 4, and infiltrate. Much better.
61 points left? get a 10 man squad and give it someone's special weapon. Best candidate = autocannon squad.
1 point ? buy windscreen wipers / boltgun for vet sargent / boltpistol for JO or something like that.

As you can see i'm a little over 1000, ill have to try and find a way to cut a few points.

·
Registered
579 Posts
AAGH! will people stop doing this! i cannot see a use for a GR launcher in an Inf squad - get the right heavy weapon, or get a better special weapon. sorry, ranting. you weren't to know. And i'm tempted to stick one on mine (admittedly to squeeze 2 points) plus 8 points
If you assume - as many do - that the purpose of the Squad is to provide a "meat shield" for Heavy Weapon than the ability to take a special weapon is a must given the alternative is a lasgun?

However, the melta is short ranged, the flamer ditto - although it doesn't suffer from BS£. That leaves plasma and G/L.

Yes plasma is good, but you can also blow up your own men, whereas the humble G/L can do both frag & krak, is 2pts less - and doesn't kill you. On a practical note you get lots of them in the box - as opposed to having to buy extra metal ones.

Personally I love my "thump gunners" paired with "ma deuce" autocannons :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts