Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally play chaos but decided to try my hand at Dark Elves. I play mainly against skaven and only have a limited amount of dark elves at the moment. I'll list what i have first.

2 sorcerers
2 dreadlord/master
1 assassin
1 CoB
10 witches
20 xbows
30 spears
20 corsairs
5 cold one knights
1 cold one chariot
1 hydra
1 medusa

I have a list made but would really like some tips/advice
Thanks!!!

Heroes:
sorcerer (dark)
-lvl2
sorcerer (death)
-lvl2

Core:
10 xbow
-shield
-mus
10 xbow
-shield
-mus

Special:
5 knights
-Command
-banner of discipline

Cold One Chariot

Hydra
-flame breath

Total: 1000 pts exactly

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
The things I would change would be to drop the champ from the Knights. You don't need to challenge and you don't want to waste the attacks on one guy. Besides that drop one of the Wizards, a level 2 should be all you need for now. Any spare pts could go on the something else, even banners for the xbows would be good.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I personally think you need more bodies. You've got a lot of points tied up in your wizards (nearly a quarter of your army), and I don't really think any of your units will be big enough to make an impact personally (especially against Skaven).

Some general points/cost cuttings I'd make:

1) Combine those darkshards into one unit of 15 to save some points. I'd also be tempted to drop the shields to be honest but that's up to you.

2) Drop your death sorceress and just run one (if you really want a powerful magic phase you could make this lvl 3 or 4 and still save points, though I think 1 lvl 2 is fine at 1k). You may also want to swap her for a unit of Warlocks as they have doombolt & soulblight which can help deal direct damage or weaken troops for your shards to shoot them.

3) Only have standards on combat units rather than full command, saves on points in my view. You might also want to drop the banner of discipline as for it's cost I don't really think it's needed given the already high ld of your knights. That's 35pts right there if you dropped the Champ, musician and discipline banner.

Other than that I think you need an anvil unit for your flankers (i.e. the hydra and knights) to get around. It's up to you what to pick but my suggestion would be, again, to keep it cheap & go for spearmen - try to get a unit of 15-20 (preferably 20) with a standard and you've got a nice solid block then to hold down stuff - just don't let them fight stuff on their own...they'll lose ;)

Your hydra, provided you can find a way of keeping it alive, will be a great distraction at 1k, just remember though that every cannon will be gunning for it first though because it's the biggest, nastiest, and more importantly only monster you've got. You might want to consider a unit or two of dark riders to either vanguard up and kill the cannons or just provide enough of a distraction for them that the hydra makes it across the field.

Lastly I'm also not that fussed by knights... they're good but in my experience they never quite do as much damage as a similarly costed infantry unit - you could get 2 black guard/executioners for the cost of a knight, or 3 corsairs for example - and I know which I would prefer to have as my flanking force. You might want to consider dropping them entirely to be honest.

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input!
Which lore should i take for just one wizard? I'm not very familiar with the brb lords as i only use chaos magic. Again its almost always against shaven.

I've made some changes to my list

Heroes:

sorceress
-lvl 2

Core:
15 xbows
-mus
20 spears
-standard

Special:
5 cold one knights
-standard

cold one chariot

hydra
-flame breath

This leaves me with 35 points.
Maybe put in more xbows, spears, or maybe add a dispel scroll?

Blackadder i would love to use warlocks or executioners but unfortunatly i do not own the models nor do i have the funds to buy them lol

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
That's not a problem. You have got a good 1k list going on now and I think a dispel scroll and maybe a musician on the spears or Knights to fill the pts out.
As for a lore to use, I would go for metal as it will help the army deal with high armour targets.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yup, what Lucas said - bear in mind if your opponent is cool with it you can always proxy to try things out ;)

I'm still not sold on the knights tbh...you could get nearly 15 corsairs for the same price but it depends if the knights are there to do something corsairs couldn't. Try 'em out though, I could be wrong!

As for the lore well it depends on what you want your wizard to do. For buffing your guys you've got beasts, life, light etc. Debuffing the enemy shadow, maybe metal etc, damage you've got fire, death, metal again and so on - that's the break of having one wizard haha.

Hmm...against Skaven I'd actually be tempted to say shadow to be honest...you're always going to be outnumbered, and I think the name of the game against them will be to dominate movement by never getting into a combat you don't want, whittling them down with missile fire and then striking with overwhelming force in combat when you're ready. For that you'd want the miasma spell (shadow's signature spell which can debuff movement amongst other things) which has a long range and an easy cast value, as well as (ideally) the withering to knock their toughness down even further. The miasma spell is always going to come up for you since it's a signature spell and can be selected whichever dice you roll for, it, but the other spell is down to luck...

That's my thoughts...

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
Heavens might be a good idea for the buffs and hex spells they have and some damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts