Stalker
Chainsabres

Fire Dragons x6
Exarch
Tankhunters

Wave Serpent
TL EML
Spirit stones

Farseer rides in serpent with the avengers, other 10avengers hold objective at back, scorpions outflank, dragons ride in serpent. Avengers deal with hordes, scorpions hordes, serpent str 6 spam for elites, dragons for tanks, and EML for light tanks and hordes.

Any major flaws?

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Pretty solid list, so only a few quibbles.

-Why run TL EMLs on the Fire Dragons' Wave Serpent? I know that I thought I would initially (because of pinning) but on reflection it's nicer to either spend big for the Brightlances, or run it cheap with shuricannons.
-If the point of your second DA squad is to hang back on the nearby objective, why DA and not (for example) 6 Pathfinders? You would even have a few points left over. From a range perspective alone you already are more effective.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i ran pathfinders instead of DA's, thats 32 points less,
The only thing i was thinking of was if i for sum reason was not able to get my dragons close enough to the tanks i would have the EML capable of taking out nicely armoured tanks, A11, 10, but also against footslogger orks, or quite often IG, the ap4 blast would help,

What would you say i should spend the points on instead?

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
First of all, how many Fire Dragons do you run?

Second, if nothing else, you can invest a lot into the Farseer. Singing Spear, assorted runes, et al.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops, my bad, i thought it was in the army list section, and i htought i wrote the number of dragons, 6 btw.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Right, so those 32 points can go towards Fire Dragons and/or upgrades for your Farseer. (Theoretically they could go just about anywhere, but I would advise putting them in one of the two units.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if i give my farseer both runes, the chances of perils of the warp are increased, (so what) but the chance of it going off is increased aswell, and the other runes, when used are beautifull! that leaves 7 points...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
HQ

Farseer
Doom
Fortune
Mind War
Spiritstones

Troops

Dire Aengers x10
Exarch
Bladestorm
Defend
2 Shuri Cats

Waveserpent
TL Scatter Lasers
Shuriken cannon
Spirit Stones

Dire Aengers x10
Exarch
Bladestorm
2 Shuri Cats

Elites

Striking Scorpions x6
Exarch
Shadowstrike
Stalker
Chainsabres

Fire Dragons x6
Exarch
Tankhunters

Wave Serpent
TL EML
Spirit stones

Farseer rides in serpent with the avengers, other 10avengers hold objective at back, scorpions outflank, dragons ride in serpent. Avengers deal with hordes, scorpions hordes, serpent str 6 spam for elites, dragons for tanks, and EML for light tanks and hordes.

Any major flaws?
Your farseer is far too expensive for 1000 points. A simple doomseer will do. If you want Runes of warding that is good too.

Drop Defend from your DA. Its not that bad or that good. I would say its a no go. to save points.

You can keep the shuriken cannon that is underslung but it will see very little time. You shoul dbe moving 12" a turn at min. So it will never be shooting anyway. If there is a weapon destroyed result you will still have a weapon i suppose.

The next set of DA need a wave serpent. Even if they are campers. They will survive with one just sitting. In which case you can give it a EML and cannon since it wont be moving. But you may not have the points for this. If they are campers storm guardians will be better choice. Give them 2 melta guns and a warlock with a witchblade so that way you have alot of pistol shots, melta to take down armor, withcblade to take down armor, they are scoring and are cheaper.

Just say no to chain sabres. Take a power claw. It is the same concept to why tactical squads take power fists. They cause min wounds with normal guys than the power fist inthe end turns the tide in their favor.

Drop the exarch and tank hunters from the FD. not needed at 1000 points.

Give the FD serpent TL shuriken cannons.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Your farseer is far too expensive for 1000 points. A simple doomseer will do. If you want Runes of warding that is good too.
Running the farseer expensive isn't that bad an idea if he takes Spirit Stones.

Drop Defend from your DA. Its not that bad or that good. I would say its a no go. to save points.
You're being too conservative. It's a misplaced power. "Ooh, my shooting unit gets a defensive bonus in combat."

You can keep the shuriken cannon that is underslung but it will see very little time. You shoul dbe moving 12" a turn at min. So it will never be shooting anyway. If there is a weapon destroyed result you will still have a weapon i suppose.
He would still have that weapon in the TL shuricats.

The next set of DA need a wave serpent. Even if they are campers. They will survive with one just sitting. In which case you can give it a EML and cannon since it wont be moving. But you may not have the points for this. If they are campers storm guardians will be better choice. Give them 2 melta guns and a warlock with a witchblade so that way you have alot of pistol shots, melta to take down armor, withcblade to take down armor, they are scoring and are cheaper.
Dire Avengers are scoring, they don't really need a Wave Serpent if you don't intend to move them, Stormies aren't a bad idea, but are pretty short range for back-of-the-table camping, and expensive for a non-melee unit with a Warlock. Plus, we were discussing putting pathfinders there instead, for better range (three times that of stormies).

Just say no to chain sabres. Take a power claw. It is the same concept to why tactical squads take power fists. They cause min wounds with normal guys than the power fist inthe end turns the tide in their favor.
As long as the exarch lands two wounds on the enemy (just two!) then the chainsaber Biting Blade is more effective than a power claw.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I wont force my opinion on you, but a farseer that many points in 1000 points is a bad idea. And I wont talk about it anymore to avoid an argument.

I dont think defend isnt good, its just not worth it. and its 15 points. Enough to upgrade a turret gun or something.

Yeah I know he would still have his TL shuriken catapults, except they arnt that good, so having the cannon would at least give him a decent 2nd weapon.

DAs are garbage outside of their serpent, even for camping. Im not sure what gaming you play but if they lived 5-6 turns and camped on your home objective the whole game then your opponent is garbage or you managed to pop all his transports early and he has no deep striking, outflanking units.

Pathfinders are decent. Except they do almost little to no damage and only bank 5 wounds total. and will undoubtedly take all weapon fire that is under str7. Putting 10 guardians with a warlock in a wave serpent almost guarntees you will have at least 1 model left of your troops to claim it. Cause first they have to pop the wave serpent which isnt always easy to do.

Yeah I agree, its just that str 3 rerolls are still worse than str 6 power weapon...in my opinion. You can whip out the math hammer if you feel like it. But in all honesty It doesnt matter to me.

Good luck with your list.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Whoops I meant Biting Blade, not chainsabers. I agree with you that chainsabers are the economy way to run your Scorp. exarch.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not to get between such obviously more experianced players in a comment duel but:
I'm working on a list very similar to this except both of the DA squads have a Waveserpent with EMLs and the Scorpions, Firedragons, and Farseer are all toned down. The advantages are that everyone is in the opponents face at once. 10 DA are a bit pricey in 1000pnts to have them sitting back and any dedicated combat squad which gets to them will mince them even if they get off Bladestorm (no doom and you lose the initiative as a footslogger). I think your list is better though for most game types. The only other thing is that if you need points your can drop Firedragons to 5. 6 is usually the magic number but at 1000 points they are going to be enough for hitting anything but a turtle formation hard anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i will deploy my objective quite far foward, and they dont keep objective whole game, they move there in the 5th turn, they just move around while staying nearby, moving so they see a weaker unit, and no other units can see them, so i overpower them, and nothing to fight back,

I had 4 1000 point games today, i have been playing 40k for bout 2 years now, and 2 of my opponents have been playing for more than 5 years, I won all my games, the farseer is not too over priced, i mind wared commisar yarrick today, more than the total points of my farseer, works perfectly well,

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congrats then. Its always nice to hear about a list doing well on paper and on the board. Mine usually don't seem to pan out, maybe it's the gaming aspect that needs tweaking. I like that the guy brought a special character in at 1000 points and still lost. Carma.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Bringing in the special characters @ 1000 pt.s is dangerous - one lucky shot (or a few lucky shots) and you're pwned. Alternatively, you could roll very well and your special character could steamroll everyone. It's "all your eggs in one basket", but what a basket!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The list seems very nice, although i think it might be lacking in anti-heavy-armor department. You have the Serpents, though, and if that works, awesome. ^^

As for the farseer. The farseer is freaking awesome. I usually don't put any runes on him, but i do use 2 powers, doom and fortune, with spirit stones, and have found the combination is deadly with almost any unit. Mind war can be nice, but it's risky; usually the dice decides. I haven't had much luck with it, so i leave it out. :p

As for the DAs, i'm a huge fan of them. Their 18" range gives them some advantage over Guardians, since it means they won't get assaulted right after they shoot. Their 4+ save is pretty nice, and when coupled with fortune, i guarantee the opponent will be loosing his nerves. :D They are a lovely tie-up unit, and they can keep even the toughest of foes busy till the help arrives. Hell, i managed to keep a full squad of 'ard boyz busy for 2 rounds so that my banshees could clear them up later on. As for fire dragons, i find they don't really need an exarch, they're effective enough on their own.

but otherwise, i'm not really surprised to hear the list is working, and as i said, the only thing that might cause some problems are heavily armored armies.

EDIT: was 'ard boyz, not 'eavy boyz.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i found that although the exarch has a better BS, i never rolled a 2 for the exarach, possible, jst if u miss, thats 1/6, i was shooting the front armour of a leman russ, 5 hits, 5 pens, even without the need for the tankhunters bonus, so if i drop the exarch and drop the tankhunters, thats 27 points,

So ill change that, i could drop the DA's not in a serpent for pathfinders, yet i find all they do if draw all the opponents fire and take it, rather than shoot their points worth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think someone mentioned it before, but it's all about how you place your pathfinders. If they're in cover and have a nice line of sight, they can be awesome. Also, you need to know how to pick your target, namely high toughness enemies. The +2 to cover saves is pretty amazing as well...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts