Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With new descussion of mechanized Tau, it made my old army list look like crap. SO here's my shot at a Mechanized Tau army list. I used Broadsides instead of a Hammerhead because I thought their extra firepower would be useful at this low of points. I also thought drones better that 3 stealth suits because: Despite having fewer shots, the drones' twin-linked makes up for this, plus their pinning can futher help me to dominate the movement phase, and having more wounds is always good, since they're gunna be deep striking. C&C welcome. Any advice on my battlesuit configurations would be great too.

HQ
Shas'el-------------------------------------------88
TL Fusion Blasters
Shield Generator

Elites
3 Crisis Suits------------------------------------183
Plasma Rifle
Burst Cannon
Multi-Tracker

Troops
12 Fire Warriors--------------------------------200
Devilfish

12 Fire Warriors--------------------------------200
Devilfish

Fast Attack
7 Drones-----------------------------------------84

Heavy Support
2 Broadsides------------------------------------237
Multi-Tracker
1 Broadside
Team Leader
Multi Tracker
Hard Wired Target Lock

·
Registered
905 Posts
First off, the broadsides gotta go. They just don't tend to cut it in a mech army... too unmobile. Railheads do the job much better. Secondly, make the commander a Shas'o for the BS5 (hit on 2+), and then make one of the fusion blasters a plasma rifle and give him a multitracker instead of a gen, he's got 3+ Sv anyway. The latter is really your preference, but I prefer it so.

Two squads of FW in devilfish is good. With the drones I'm hoping you're planning on surrounding the Shas'o with them, because that's a wonderful tactic.

Now gimme a nickel >_>

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Bubbaganoosh said:
With new descussion of mechanized Tau, it made my old army list look like crap. SO here's my shot at a Mechanized Tau army list. I used Broadsides instead of a Hammerhead because I thought their extra firepower would be useful at this low of points. I also thought drones better that 3 stealth suits because: Despite having fewer shots, the drones' twin-linked makes up for this, plus their pinning can futher help me to dominate the movement phase, and having more wounds is always good, since they're gunna be deep striking. C&C welcome. Any advice on my battlesuit configurations would be great too.

HQ
Shas'el-------------------------------------------83 (or Shas'O same weapons fit for 108 )
Plasma/Fusion/Multi

Elites
3 Crisis Suits------------------------------------65pts each
Plasma Rifle
Missile pod
Multi-Tracker

Troops
12 Fire Warriors (Shas'Ui)--------------------------------215
Devilfish with decoys

12 Fire Warriors (shas'Ui)--------------------------------215
Devilfish with decoys

Fast Attack
8 Drones-----------------------------------------96

Heavy Support
Hammerhead with railgun/BC/Multi and decoys 165pts (170 with dis pod)

969 points (with Shas'O 994) (with Shas'O and HH dis pod 999)
If its a Mech list your going for Broadsides dont fit, they are not mobile and will cripple your mobility because you will need to defend them, so my advice lose them and get a HH with railgun, Burst cannons, Multi and decoys 165pts, this will really help your list perform.

Lose the twin linked fusion with the points saved by losing the BS teams give your Shas,El fusion/plasma and a multi tracker, the El does not need twin linking with BS4 and your severley limiting his usefullness, one shot at 12" not good with the Plasma Fusion and Multi he will have 3 high strentgh low AP shots at 12" much better.

Then give all 3 of the XV8,s a missile pod in 1000pt games MP are usefull and will extend your effective range to a min of 24" and max 36" with STR7 shots for MP much better than Burst cannons, now listen to this burst cannons on XV8 = hanging offence or castration LOL, do not do it dude.
Also use the 3 suits as lone (monat) suits 1 for each elite slot, they work much much better this way than as a team (XV8 teams also = no).

Make the drone squad 8 strong and use them as a bodyguard for your Shas'El (see the new use for drone thread for advice on the circular formation tactic it rocks)
Give your fire warriors a shas'ui and the DF decoys.

I have changed the list to reflect the changes and it only totals 969 points, so you could either give your Shas a shield gen but if you use the drone squad to protect him he wont need it, or upgrade him to a Shas'O for 25pts extra (well worth it) for 994 points and give the HH a disruption pod for 999pts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, I agree with you on the Broadsides, though it does make my army lack anti armour firepower. This is why I had the Shas'el the way he is. I was planning on deepstriking him in and taking out a couple of tanks before he was destroyed. Plasma rifle does not make sence because it is too low strength. Gun drones do not make sence because they are useless vs anything with AV11 or more, and sence it is a suicide mission the upgrade to Shas'O is just giving my opponent VPs. Mabie it would be worth it for a missile pod.

And yeah, I forgot to add Decoy Launchers, thanks

Why would I give the Hammerhead decoy launchers? Immobalized is better than armament destroyed, or, of course, completely destroyed.

As for the BCs into Missile Pods, it is a good idea, but I like the look and feel of the Burst Cannon, plus I've already converted one with a BC. Ill think about it.

Plus, what is the defensave wapon option for the Hammerhead?

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
A few points on your lists and thoughts.

1. This is not the place for an army list thread, this is a disscusion board, not the army list thread. Cast your eyes to the top of the page and see that thread called Tau Army Lists. Next time put your stuff there.

2. At 1000 pts how much armor are you planning on running into? Your lone Hammerhead will be more than enough versus anything but the most extream lists.

3. A Helios configured HQ is awsome. It's vicious versus anything with 2+ armor saves AND can take down armor. This goes back to point two, at 1000pts your not gonna be fighting that much armor that your gonna need a suicide unit to do it.

4. Definetly take each of your Crisis Monet style at that level, they'll rock the bad guys hard and be a lot more difficult to kill as they'll have to split their shots to take the suits down.

5. Burst cannons are very questionable on Crisis. We have Stealths for that and they only cost 30 points per and they have some aswome abilities. For Tau our Crisis are our only platform for mounting versatile heavy wepons like the fusion, plasma, and Missle Pod. Few things can be a bigger waste than using your Crisis to dish out the same damage as you FW's or Steaths can do for less, except maybe mounting flamers.....then we'd have to flame you.

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
Bubbaganoosh said:
Why would I give the Hammerhead decoy launchers? Immobalized is better than armament destroyed, or, of course, completely destroyed.
because the hammerhead will be moving over 6" a turn to keep off penetrating hits and when u suffer an immobilized on a skimmer when moving over 6" you're destroyed.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Bubbaganoosh said:
Ok, I agree with you on the Broadsides, though it does make my army lack anti armour firepower. This is why I had the Shas'el the way he is. I was planning on deepstriking him in and taking out a couple of tanks before he was destroyed. Plasma rifle does not make sence because it is too low strength. Gun drones do not make sence because they are useless vs anything with AV11 or more, and sence it is a suicide mission the upgrade to Shas'O is just giving my opponent VPs. Mabie it would be worth it for a missile pod.

And yeah, I forgot to add Decoy Launchers, thanks

As for the BCs into Missile Pods, it is a good idea, but I like the look and feel of the Burst Cannon, plus I've already converted one with a BC. Ill think about it.

Plus, what is the defensave wapon option for the Hammerhead?
1 you dont need that much armour killing in 1000pts and the Shas,o with the 3 XV8's and HH is plenty, more than enough.

2 The drones are not meant for armour killing they are meant to keep your Shas alive so he can kill the armour (check the thread i mentioned for how to do this) this also answers your point about Victory points for the Shas'O with the drone squad in 1000pts especialy your opponent wil not be able to even hit the Shas'O so he wont get VP,s With the improved BS and the drone squad protecting him he will be able to kill tanks and pretty much reamain untouchable. You say you want to deny your opponent VP's for the Shas'O and then your sending a Shas'El in on a suicide mission (bit contradictory) you never want to send your best unit on suicide missions.
The look and feel of BC is irrelevent, they have no place on an XV8, with the MP and Plasma your getting 3 to 4 STR 6/7 shots a turn at a better AP, wounding on 2+ and the range is extended so is the range of opponents you can hurt, what benefits do BC's have that make them worth taking over MP and Plasma?
Decoys are a must.

·
Registered
664 Posts
you should drop both shas'ui upgrades on your fire warriors squads,for mech FW they won't his ld upgrade much.i would also suggest you make your 3 crisis plasma,fusion multi and make them solobecause in a 1000 point game they will cause your opponent headaches,he most likely won't have many things to kill them with.thats my 2 cent

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd consider it; I've had a game where almost every morale test I rolled ended up being a sweet spot; if I hadn't upgraded a 'la to 'ui, they would have bolted and basically flee immediately off the board. Then again, if the squads are inside devilfishes half the time, the extra morale may not pay off...

I'd like to see an updated version of this list with all the suggestions that were taken into consideration added. I'd like to comment on the list, but I don't want to continue to drive the same point in the ground that everyone already said (especially if he decided to yield).

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Bubbaganoosh said:
For their points, Missile Pods are probably better than Fusions, plus I never put uis on my FW squads
I am a firm believer in the superiority of Fusion over MP in any list over 1000pts, but in sub 1000pt listss the armour count is not as significant, with AV11 to 13 being the average, with maybe 4 vehicles max (now before the usual suspects jump down my thraot this is only an average), so the need for AP1 high strentgh weapons is reduced. The MP should be more than sufficient and gives you that slight points break to devote to the rest of the list.

Also SHas'Ui's are a must for foot slogger FW that extra point of LDS is vital against things like fear of the dadkness or pinning, try playing an Alaitoc Ranger list with ranger disruption with normal FW lDS for instance .

·
Registered
664 Posts
about the missile being better than the fusion well i don't think that is true.but i don't agree with riki either about taking fusion in 1000 or more games.to me it depends on if the suit is aolne or in a group,in a group 2 helios will have trouble maenuvering and all that,so that is why i like the longer ranged fireknife more.but if your crisis is solo or'monat'definately get a helios,my shas'o helios has been quite devastating for the past few games.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also SHas'Ui's are a must for foot slogger FW
They're going to be in fishes, so the uis probably aren't that important.

about the missile being better than the fusion well i don't think that is true.
I could always give my commander plasma/fusion/missile combo with a hard-wired multi-tracker.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Bubbaganoosh said:
They're going to be in fishes, so the uis probably aren't that important.
That extra point of LDS will help especially for units in DF because they tend to get close to the enemy to rapid fire, so are in range of return fire and that LDS8 helps when rolling morale tests for casualties from shooting etc.

Bubbaganoosh said:
I could always give my commander plasma/fusion/missile combo with a hard-wired multi-tracker.
Never take 3 weapons its expensive and ineffeicient for the points, you can only use 2 a turn with multi, I find the BS of the Shas'O makes Plasma and fusion with multi very very powerfull and you want to be utilising that BS and STR of the weapons to a maximum, the Shas only has to kill a few termies or a character or a tank and he has made his points back.
I use a drone squad to protect my Shas and the Shas and the drones have always made the points back and more, decide on a role for your XV8 and tailor its weapons fit to this role because the jack of all trades weapons fit your thinking about does not work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
rikimaru said:
Never take 3 weapons its expensive and ineffeicient for the points, you can only use 2 a turn with multi, I find the BS of the Shas'O makes Plasma and fusion with multi very very powerfull and you want to be utilising that BS and STR of the weapons to a maximum, the Shas only has to kill a few termies or a character or a tank and he has made his points back. I use a drone squad to protect my Shas and the Shas and the drones have always made the points back and more, decide on a role for your XV8 and tailor its weapons fit to this role because the jack of all trades weapons fit your thinking about does not work.

I disagree w/ this. Check the thread "z this a good XV8 configuration" for why. (I don't really want to type it all again)
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/t56666-z-this-a-good-xv8-congfiguration.html
My post, Page 2.

Phase Out....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oooh, I thought the MT could let you fire 3, but you're right it says 2 weapon systems in the codex.

OK, a revised list

HQ
Shas'o-----------------------------115
Fusion Blaster
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker
HW target lock
Accompanied by drones

Elites
1 Shas'ui--------------------------65
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker

Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker

Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker

Troops
12 Fire Warriors-----------------205
Devilfish
Decoy Launchers

Devilfish
Decoy Launchers

Fast Attack
8 Drones-------------------------96

Heavy Support
Hammerhead-------------------160
Railgun
Burst Cannons
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pod

Total-------------------------976

The Shas'o has a target lock so the drones can still shoot at nearby infantry while the O takes out more heavily armoured targets.

The Fire Warriors don't have the ui upgrade because I intend to use their speed to get them both within 12" of the same squad. 48 shots plus fire support from the fishes is usually enough to reduce even a 10 man strong unit of Space Marines into no major threat, and even when I am charged my FWs will overwhelm them.

I could afford the ui upgrade, or i cound squeese an Ethereal into the list by taking out 2 drones.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Bubbaganoosh said:
Oooh, I thought the MT could let you fire 3, but you're right it says 2 weapon systems in the codex.

OK, a revised list

HQ
Shas'o-----------------------------115
Fusion Blaster
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker
HW target lock
Accompanied by drones

Elites
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker

Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker

Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker

Troops
Devilfish
Decoy Launchers

Devilfish
Decoy Launchers

Fast Attack
8 Drones-------------------------96

Heavy Support
Hammerhead-------------------160
Railgun
Burst Cannons
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pod

Total-------------------------976

The Shas'o has a target lock so the drones can still shoot at nearby infantry while the O takes out more heavily armoured targets.

The Fire Warriors don't have the ui upgrade because I intend to use their speed to get them both within 12" of the same squad. 48 shots plus fire support from the fishes is usually enough to reduce even a 10 man strong unit of Space Marines into no major threat, and even when I am charged my FWs will overwhelm them.

I could afford the ui upgrade, or i cound squeese an Ethereal into the list by taking out 2 drones.
Quick point you dont need the target lock simply because you should not attach the drone squad to the Shas, simply have the drones form a circle around the Shas (1 inch away from the Shas and maintaining coherency and the Shas is practically untouchable because he still has his IC status so cannot be targeted because no matter which enemy unit targets him he is not the closest unit to the enemy, it also means he cannot be assualted. So you have 31 pts to play with.
I would lose the disruption from the HH and give it multi (always give HH multi's its the 11th commandment), You could upgrade the Shas' el to an O and benefit from the BS5.
Just some ideas but forget the ethereal and dont lose the two drones

1 - 19 of 19 Posts