Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if my lists of 1000 points could be useful to fight against the Ogres. Last time I lost terribly to the Ogre player due to Bull charges, Gut magics, and Toughness.
Here are the lists of 1000 points:

List #1
Heroes -
- Mage
+ Level 2, knows High magic
+ Mounted on Elven Steed
- Mage
+ Silver Wand

Core
- 10 Archers

Special
- 6 Dragon Princes (all frontages, supported by the mage)
+ Musician and Standard Bearer
+ Banner of Ellyrion
- 17 White Lions (5 in each rank, supported by the mage)
+ Musician and Standard Bearer (or -1 unit for Banner of Ellyrion)

Rare
- Repeater Bolt Thrower
= 1000
Tactics:
The ranks of white lions and Dragon Princes (each rank will be assisted by single mage) will be deployed through the woods (or difficult terrain if the white lions are carrying the banner of Ellyrion in an exchange of one unit) while the archers and the bolt thrower crews will be deployed on the hills or cliff where there are large lines of sight. Two mages are for both casting the shield of Saphery for protection and drain magic to disable the butcher by the start of the game if the opponent has one. Since the butcher can cast 3+ on any gut magic, casting Drain magic would change it to 6+ or 9+(if Ogre player fails to dispel one), forcing the butcher to use all power dices or risking its life attempting to cast the magic with a single dice (if possible). For the ranks in the woods or difficult terrain, I would use them to attract the ogres by stepping a bit closer to them by moving in or behind the terrains. Unless the ogres have special rule that allows them move the terrain freely, the ogres would be trapped, due to the fact that they could only charge at 6 in the difficult terrain, if the plan is successful. By then, I could use the ranks the charge or flank them at full speed.

List #2
Heroes -
- Mage
- Mage

Core
- 10 Archers

Special
- 16 White Lions (5 in each rank, supported by the mage)
- 15 Phoenix Guards (5 in each rank, supported by the mage)
+ Banner of Ellyrion

Rare
- Repeater Bolt Thrower
= 996
Tactics:
Similar concept with the first list except that there are no cavalries and one mage could concentrate casting Drain magic to disable the butcher while the other mage could cast defensive magic at the same time if possible since one of them is supported by units with 4+ ward saves. Im not sure about the numbers for Phoenix Guards and White Lions, but they are for to maximize the rank bonus to win the combat with the ogres easily.

List #3
Heroes
- Noble
+ Great weapon and Armor of Caledor
- Mage
+ Dispel scroll

Core
- 10 Archers

Special
- 16 White Lions (5 in each rank, supported by the noble)
- 15 Phoenix Guards (5 in each rank, supported by the mage)
+ Banner of Ellyrion

Rare
- Repeater Bolt Thrower
= 999
Tactics:
Similar concept to the second list except that the mage is replaced with the noble for scoring and the mage has a dispel scroll just in case. If possible, I could replace armor of Caledor and a dispel scroll for Staff of Sorcery.

These are the lists I came up with and yet I haven't used them. It would be pleased if anyone could comment on my lists and help a little. Also I would like to know if these lists could be used to fight other armies.
Thanks for replying.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
Hmmm, well all the lists have plus points and minus points.

The biggest thing I find against the ogres is making sure they don't get their bull charge. The impact hits are the only thing that hits before we do. I would therefore recommend a faster movement army. Also, a noble with foe bane and the armour of caledor will allow you to guarantee wounds on the ogres after the charge.

I like smaller, more agile units that can smash the ogres. Swordmasters are extremely effective vs ogres, as long as there is no bull charge. Hitting and wounding on 3's will allow a 6 frontage unit to kill 2 ogres before they strike back.

A mage with the staff of sorcery is a nice unit to, as he will allow you to limit the magic due to his now +2 to dispel. Low dice rolls will then be easy to get rid of, especially if combined with drain magic.

I would use a list simular to this:

Noble: 135pts
Armour of Caledor
Foe Bane

Mage Lvl 1: 140pts
Staff of Sorcery

10 Archers

17 Spearmen: 198pts (Noble here)
Full Command
War Banner

6 Dragon Princes: 210pts
Champion and Musician

7 Swordmasters

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total: 998pts

This army has a tough centre and a fast flanking unit, as well as a swordmaster unit that can cut ogres too pieces.

ninja out

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.