Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to perfect my 1000-points mech-ist Alaitoc army for a tournament in two weeks. Tell me what you think.

HQ [123]
Farseer: guide, doom, spirit stones, singing spear

Troops [604]
10 Dire Avengers: Exarch – shuriken catapults, bladestorm[152]
Wave Serpent, 2x shuriken cannon, spirit stones[120]

Wave Serpent, 2x shuriken cannon, spirit stones[120]

5 Rangers [95]
5 Rangers [95]

Heavy Support [270]
2 Vibro Cannons [100]
Fire Prism: spirit stones, shuriken cannon, holo-field, [170]

Total: 997

Basic strategy has been for the Farseer to accompany one of the DA squads as they get into shurikat range. Then he guides my DAs and dooms whatever is being targeted, enemy unit(s) get courted by backpedalling DAs supported by wave serpents until it's weakened enough to bladestorm + assault.
Rangers take out enemy MC/ICs, and keep pinned anything that moves faster than 6' a turn so my DAs can safely court.
Vibro cannons sit behind a hill or something and pin and/or autoglance anything that they can reach.
And lastly the Fire Prism flies around and blows things up.

The problem I've been having is that I don't feel I have enough reliable anti-tank weaponry. The vibro cannons are great for transports but it's hard coaxing a leman russ into 36", especially after they find out what they do :p And while the fire prism is fantastic at tank hunting it's all by it's lonesome.
I've been considering scrapping the pair of vibro cannons and the fire prism for a pair of brightlance-toting Wraithlords but then I'd have to have my Farseer babysit them and I don't really want that. I suppose I could strip him and siphon those points into maybe some vectored engines for my wave serpents but I don't know. Or maybe instead of the vibro cannons and the fire prism take 5 wraithguard and a warlock in a wave serpent? They're pretty good at busting tanks, even though they have extremely short range.
Thoughts?

EDIT: New list:

ELDAR 1000

HQ [80]
Farseer: doom

Elites [116]
6 Fire Dragons: exarch - firepike

Troops [654]
Wave Serpent: 2x shuriken cannon, spirit stones[120]

5 Pathfinders [120]
5 Pathfinders [120]

Heavy Support [150]
Falcon: 2x shuriken cannon, holo-field, spirit stones

TOTAL: 1000

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
If memory serves, partial mechanized and partial gunline/infantry is known as hybrid.

As a whole, this list really doesn't have the true feel of an Alaitoc list. (Two groups of rangers and no pathfinders to speak of.)

I'm not so sure about the vibro cannons but that fire prism will definately do you some good as far as anti tank is concerned. If you can, maybe remove your cannons for another one to help in the anti tank department and later use them for heavy infantry hunting with their combined fire.

·
Poisonous Mammal
390 Posts
There is an innate problem with a farseer in a transports, since the Doom & Guide psychic powers are used at the beginning of the Eldar Player’s turn if your Farseer is in the transport then he can not use the powers that turn. Also if the Farseer is deployed he can still not target a unit that is in a transport since they are considered off the table.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is an innate problem with a farseer in a transports, since the Doom & Guide psychic powers are used at the beginning of the Eldar Player’s turn if your Farseer is in the transport then he can not use the powers that turn. Also if the Farseer is deployed he can still not target a unit that is in a transport since they are considered off the table.
Good point, I always forget this. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe slap him on a jetbike? Then I'd definitely need to scrap either the fire prism or the vibro cannons. Hmm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Played around with it some more, here's what I came up with.

ELDAR 1000

HQ [80]
Farseer: doom

Elites [116]
6 Fire Dragons: exarch - firepike

Troops [654]

5 Pathfinders [120]
5 Pathfinders [120]

Heavy Support [150]

TOTAL: 1000

The Farseer will just walk or something, or maybe hang out with the pathfinders. Or I might stick him with the DAs anyways, they won't be in their serpents for long regardless. The Fire Dragons and the Falcon will act as the anti-tank with their fusion guns and pulse cannon, respectively. Hopefully they don't get lascannon'd on turn 1, because then I think I'd cry. Pathfinders kill MC/ICs, keep CC squads pinned, and just act as a general nuisance. Having a 1 in 3 chance at glancing a tank is pretty sexy, too.

EDIT: Fixed point costs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love your list against almost any other army except the following:
Tyranids and Orks

I don't think you have enough CC to deal with the inevitable hoard of enemies that will be breathing down your neck. I've found DA's to be pretty poor in CC against both those armies.

Just a heads up. You might want to make an alternate list that has either Scorps or Harlies for a little CC element.

Otherwise good luck. Oh, and take my advice with a grain of salt. In about 10 minutes I'll be posting my army list and begging for help since I just can't win with it. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love your list against almost any other army except the following:
Tyranids and Orks

I don't think you have enough CC to deal with the inevitable hoard of enemies that will be breathing down your neck. I've found DA's to be pretty poor in CC against both those armies.

Just a heads up. You might want to make an alternate list that has either Scorps or Harlies for a little CC element.

Otherwise good luck. Oh, and take my advice with a grain of salt. In about 10 minutes I'll be posting my army list and begging for help since I just can't win with it. :(
I am a little worried about hordy armies, which is why I took as many shuriken cannons as I could :p I'm hoping the cannons + DA bladestorm + doom will be enough crowd control. Otherwise, I'm in trouble, haha.

·
Registered
256 Posts
First of all this is a good list and probably fun to play in 1k

Heavy Support [150]

Elites [112]
6 Fire Dragons: exarch - firepike, tank hunters, crack shot
Ok here is your anti - tank stuff. I run the same thing in my 1850 list yet I think you got the points wrong on the fire dragons, I dont have my dex but that seems low. Anyways you may have problems since all your anti tank is in one spot. Your call.

HQ [83]
Farseer: doom, singing spear

Troops [654]

5 Pathfinders [120]
5 Pathfinders [120]
This is your anti personel. IMO rangers and pathfinders are only really good in higher point games. There is not a lot of high toughness things in small games. Remember that even though the rangers are only 120 points you can get a wraithlord with a swaord and scatter laser for the same price. This will survive longer and be the solid block in your line that you need.

This does nix the Alaitoc aspect though. If you are set on that then I would add dark reapers to make the list more shooty

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's meant to be a tourney list, and like all tourneys there are going to be at least five people playing Nidzilla. I took pathfinders because I like them, and because I need something that kills flying tyrants and carnifexes. Having all my anti-tank in one transport is risky but at this point setting I don't have much alternative. It will either play out brilliantly or not at all. Death or glory!

As for the point cost I just rechecked, it's A-OK. Doesn't seem like much, does it?

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
I would triple check the points cost for those fire dragons - doesn't matter how I spin those numbers I can't get them to match the figure you have.
108 for the 5 Dragons + 1 Exarch (total of 6 models)
+ 28 (Firepike + Crack Shot + Tank hunter)
= 136 points.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're absolutely right... I was thinking Fire Dragons were 12 points. wtf. Fixing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.