Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing my first game tomorrow, me and a friends Warriors of Chaos are taking on a buddy's 2000 pt Orcs & Goblins

Heroes
Sorceress - 150
lvl 2
Tome of Furion

Core
35 Warriors - 285
FC
Shields
Banner of Murder

10 Crossbowmen - 105
Musician

Special
5 Cold on Knights - 175
FC

Rare
2 RBT - 200
or
1 Hydra - 175

From what I have read, Hydra's are pretty much a must...if you can, take it. However, the WoC lacking ranged, should I bring the bolt throwers?
Also, O&G will more than likely be running horde.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated, total with the RBT's is 915 and the Hydra is 890, so is there anything else I should add?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the Sorceress will be using Lore of Shadow, and if I go with the Hydra I was thinking of adding

Special
Shades - 108
Additional hand weapon
Light Armor
Bloodshade

Bringing the grand total to 998.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Problem with 1000pts is that it's Hydra OR Bolt Throwers....shame. Bolt Throwers are great, but even though I love them as much as I do I still take the Hydra as a first choice. Hydra, then 2BTs, then another Hydra etc...is how I work mine. So my advice would be to take the Hydra (even though leaving Bolt Throwers breaks my heart).

The Shades would probably be the best bet for that extra 100-odd points. Maybe drop the Bloodshade and give the Sorceress something else for 15pts (or even drop Light Armour and that gives 20pts). They'll allow you to harry the smaller OG units, pick one or two off the larger units and deal with War Machines.

Just thinking that a more offensive Lore, like Metal, Fire or even Dark might be a better bet. I'm guessing the WoC are going to be the main assualt for you guys, they won't need much help smashing apart OGs. Metal gives you nice spells (only two of them use Armour Saves to wound) and you can give your Spearmen a 3+ save with Glittering Scales, or even give your Chaos allies a 1+ Armour. Plus Final Transmution would reap havoc against a low-Ld army like OG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I drop the Bloodshade and light armor that frees up 23 pts plus the 2 i have left gives me 25 for The Guiding Eye to give to the sorceress to use for the crossbowmen(which is where I was thinking of placing her).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Putting a Sorceress in a 10 man Crossbowmen unit is risky. My friend put his Lvl 4 Supreme Sorceress in his 10 man unit, and saw them shot by my Bolt Thrower and flee off the board Turn 1. Unfortunately thats the only unit she can feasibly join. The Guiding Eye is a good idea, but it's best reserved for a larger unit of Crossbowmen. If uou were to drop the Musician on the Crossbowmen you'd have an extra 5pts and that would let you take the Seal of Ghrond, which is really a must have for any Dark Elf army (it effectively means you have a minimum of 2 Dispel dice per turn, as opposed to 1).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright cool, I will try that out and see how it goes. Would the sorceress be better off on her own or should I keep her there for some kind of protection?

·
Registered
463 Posts
In 1000 points there's not much that will really threaten that unit, especially when there's a Hydra rampaging around. In larger games you'll have a BSB to keep the Sorceress and her unit steady, but at the moment a Rxb bodyguard should be fine.

·
Registered
620 Posts
A High Elf/Dark Elf Bolt Thrower will screw it over. I know from experience. My friend used to run a Lvl 2/Lvl 4 in a 10 man Xbow unit, until he got fed up with me firing a BT at them and causing them to flee off the board Turn 1. A Bolt Thrower needs to cause 4 wounds to Panic them from 10, needing less each time. If you play DE/HE and they have BTs, don't put her near that unit, it isn't worth the risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts