Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all...this is my 1000-point Inquisitorial Strikeforce, to be used in friendly games with my friends or at hobby clubs (if I ever find one to attend). Fluffwise, this army would be used for vital incursions into the heart of the enemy forces, and as such is somewhat small and short-ranged. I tried to be reasonably well-rounded while selecting the units, but at the same time integrate some of my fluff-based ideas and preferences. Some people I've shown this list to say it would be a good cityfight army. The smoke launchers on the tanks are meant to show the Inquisitorial preference for staying unseen and out-of-sight, which is a good survivability tactic. Well, enough talk from me. Here goes...

Inquisitor Lord Cavarien with master-crafted power stake, plasma pistol, and Inquisitorial Pendant (Rosarius)
Acolyte with carapace armor and Brazier of Holy Fire
Crusader
Veteran Guard with plasmagun
Chirurgeon
Servo-skull
Rhino transport with extra armor and smoke launchers
Total: 259
(This is the HQ choice. Inquisitor Lord Cavarien and his retinue are meant to stay alive as long as possible while taking out as many people as they can during the game. If the enemy doesn't have many psykers, I can reduce the power stake to a regular power weapon at minor points reduction. If they have more psykers than expected, I can add a Penitent to the retinue and still have enough room in the Rhino. Preferably this group would only go up against infantry, but you never know...)

10x Battle Sisters
Flamer
Meltagun
Total: 126
(The Battle Sisters under Cavarien's command are the remnants of a minor order that was nearly wiped out in a Chaos incursion on their homeworld. Cavarien is helping them to rebuild their order on a different world, but they swore an oath to aid him whenever he should require them. This squad is a general-purpose troop squad, kitted out with a flamer for killing infantry and a meltagun for dealing with tanks)

9x Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
Flamer
Grenade launcher
Veteran Lt. Victor Spraussen with bolt pistol and close combat weapon
Total: 127
(Lt. Spraussen and his boys are Lord Cavarien's personal stormtroopers. They are meant to support the Inquisitor and provide covering fire/distraction/meatshields/etc)

4x Seraphim
Twin-linked inferno pistols
Veteran Superior Melyssa with power sword and purity seals
Total: 150
(Sister Superior Melyssa is the leader of the Adepta Sororitas forces under Cavarien's command. Her squad is meant to harry the enemy: go in fast, hit hard, and soar out of harm's way before things get hairy. They can also serve as "assassins" by going in fast and taking out champions or other important single models/small squads. The twin-linked inferno pistols can be switched to twin-linked hand flamers at a minor points reduction if the enemy doesn't have many tanks)

5x Dominions with melta bombs
2x Storm bolters
2x Flamers
Immolator transport with twin-linked multi-meltas, extra armor, and smoke launchers
Total: 202
(These Dominions embody the "holy trinity" of bolter, flamer, and melta. They are meant to be the crack team of tank-killers with their meltabombs and the Immolator's multi-meltas, and the storm bolters and flamers are there to deal with any squads that might be inside transport tanks. Alternatively, I can give the melta bombs to the Seraphim at no extra points to spread out my tank-busting potential)

Exorcist with smoke launchers
Total: 138
(The single Exorcist that belongs to the decimated Order of the White Lily is a potent symbol of their faith, and a powerful harbinger of destruction to the Emperor's foes. It's the only thing in this army with a range beyond 24 inches, and provides much-needed ranged support in a standard field battle. It can be used to take out tanks or heavy infantry)

Army Total: 1002 (a little more than expected, but oh well...)

Questions? Comments? Helpful hints? I'll take anything you've got!

·
Registered
59 Posts
You've spent too many point on useless war gear items.

Units of 4 Seraphim are useless. As are power weapons on strength 3 models. Either give the veteran an eviscerator or nothing.

Your Battle Sisters squad needs a rhino as does your Storm Trooper squad. Your Battle Sisters squad also needs a veteran, as she'll give them an act of faith. Your Storm Troopers should be given plasma guns and a veteran sergeant with a power fist.

A Master Crafted Power Stake, plasma pistol and Rosarius are ridiculous items for your Inquisitor. Inquisitors are good for their psychic abilities and inquisitorial mandate. Cut down on these silly items. Give your Seraphim flamers instead of their pistols.

Storm bolters are not a good choice for the Dominions. Get rid of their melta bombs and get them a veteran. I mean, they can't even use acts of faith. See if you can get some eviscerators in there as well. Twin linked multi-meltas are a bad choice for immolators as it'll either be destroyed or be sacrificed for movement and deployment of your dominions. In fact, I'd recommend against Dominions all together in a 1000 point game and make them a plain Battle Sister squad and save points.

I like the Exorcist. It's a bitch to put together though.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
If you're going for Fluffy it's a pretty good list; however, you really do need the veterans in the battle sister and dominion squads. If you don't have faith, you're better off using allied marines!

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooh, it hurts! :) Just kidding. This is what I wanted, so this is what I got.

Well, I'd like to respond that as great as giving Veterans and Rhinos to every squad would be (and believe me, I did consider it), remember that this is a 1000-point army. These things are expensive and even somewhat inefficient because of it. There's just no room to put them in, as much as I would like to. The key phrase for this army is "points efficiency".

Regarding Faith and Faith Points...I am still of two minds about this. I regard Faith mostly as the province of pure Adepta Sororitas armies, which this is not intended to be. Such armies have the points and spaces open for Faithful characters that contribute to the Faith Points pool. Even if I did stick a Veteran Superior in every squad, that would only be two more Faith Points, which makes a grand total of 3. I don't regard that as an efficient use of the points needed for Veteran status. On the other hand, I do see the usefulness of Acts of Faith, and I would like to use them in my army.

And Jettero, I think that the "proper" use of Inquisitors depends both on your personal preference and how well you can make them work in your army. I have seen people kit them out for pure ranged deathdealing, as well as utilizing their Mandate and psychic potential. There are even a few *gasp* close combat Inquisitors out there too, so I wouldn't go so far as to call a Rosarius, plasma pistol, or power stake "silly". In fact I would think a Mandate is much sillier because, despite its benefits, you can only use it once per game. For that many points? I don't think so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you want close combat and shooting, do Eldar or Marines.

A Space Marine veteran with a powerfist is better in combat than your Inquisitor with all his gear.

If you want shooting, do Imperial Guard or Tau.

Witch Hunters are for hit and run flames, which is why you need tanks and veteran sisters. If you want close combat Witch Hunters, take penitent machines and archoflaggelants.

You've basicly made an army list which excludes all the strenghs of the army and accentuates the weaknesses,with tons of points spent on items which will never pay themselves back.

You can easily afford rhinos and veterans by getting rid of the useless things I detailed in my above post.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
*winces* Pretty harsh, Jettero. No need for quite that level of blatant hostility.
I'm also working this on a bit of a budget, so I don't really want to spend a hundred-plus dollars on two more tanks.
And if you have so much experience and know-how with Witchhunters, why don't you take a break from criticism and tell me one or two things this army does well? A mix of bashing and building is always a good strategy, in my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your army wastes points well.

Joking aside, if you want to have foot sloggers then give your sisters some storm bolters, so they cant shoot while charging.

You can of course keep your army the way it is, but at least follow some advise and get rid of some of the superfluous war gear.

Good luck in assembling your exorcist.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
units of 4 seraphim are illegal it states quite plainly a min unit consists of a searg and 4 troopers

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plague, you misread it. I did not include the Veteran Superior when I counted the regular Seraphim. There are four regular Seraphim and then the Veteran Superior in addition.In the same way, I separated Veteran Lt. Spraussen from his squad in the list, which is why there seem to be only nine stormtroopers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts