Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bare with me, I am long time Eldar Veteran, and venturing in to uncharted territroy with 5th edition marines.

HQ-

Captain w/?

Elites-
Deadnaught +Drop Pod

5 Terminators w/ Assault Cannon

Troops-

10 Tac Marines w/ Melta, Teleport homer, Drop Pod

10 Tac Marines w/Melta, Drop Pod

This leaves me 105 points to mess with, and arm the captain. I am unsure if it is more beneficial to make the squads a tad smaller to skim the points. Also should I give the sergeants power fist or what?

Please be patient with this list, as I am new to SMs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nah, you hardly ever want to take less than 10 Tac Squad, they're cheaper by the 10's and you can always combat squad them even when they're in a Drop Pod. If you haven't already, you should look over the Drop Pod Tactica, some good reading there seeing as how this list is Pod heavy. If you want to skim on points the Terminators should be the first to go. 230 points (245 if you count the teleport homer) this is almost 1/4 of your list for 5 guys!!! You could go with some mobility, maybe an Assault Squad as this gives you 10 bodies instead of 5 and it goes with your Assaulty theme. And a Chaplain is really good with these guys.

10 Tactical Squad w/Powerfist, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Meltabombs 205
Drop Pod 35
10 Tactical Squad w/Powerfist, Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Meltabombs 205
Drop Pod 35
Dreadnought replace Storm Bolter with Heavy Flamer 115
Drop Pod 35
Chaplain w/Jump Pack, Digital Weapons(to ensure Power Weapon hits)Meltabombs 130
Assault Squad w/Powerfist, 2x Flamers, Meltabombs 240

Total 1000 even, hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about dropping the terminators for something else.

Although I already have the models, and would have to buy another drop pod. Otherwise the assault marines would be all their lonesome on my side, of course i culd deep strike them. or remove jump packs for a drop ppod. which almost seems silly. id rather pay for the pod and leave them with packs. for a turn 2 assault.

If you were to keep the list how it is now.....how would you arm the sergeants and and captain?

I have read the drop pod tactica. Good stuff there.

if i move up to 1500 pts, would you only use more drop pod /deepstrike troops or start taking tanks to start ont he board?

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a begininer i had a similar list aswell, can i only assumed you got a black reach box and a couple of other stuff aswell?

I think the captain is good. but not great. He has good stats but its hard to use him well in my opinion hence why im now looking for something along the lines of a chaplain/librarian.

Cant go wrong with the 2 tac squads or drop pods. but for a change you might consider rhinos at the same points? idk its your list so choose what you like best :p

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
of course i got hte black reach set. i have spent countless hundreds of dollars getting a competetive mech eldar list from 1000-2000, and am working on finishing my 3000 pt apocolypse list. (GO SCORPION!!!). I am just looking for a fun army to play with. I had fun playing against a drop pod list. even though it was a draw, both sides had fun whether win or lose and that is what i want to do with these guys.

If i go up to 1500 I would probably put another dreadnaught ..probably an iron clad cause hes sweet looking and its a fun list. another squad of tac marines or something.

I am considering a librarian with smite for a 1500 list. that power is juts too good to not drop pod him in and use.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was thinking about dropping the terminators for something else.

Although I already have the models, and would have to buy another drop pod. Otherwise the assault marines would be all their lonesome on my side, of course i culd deep strike them. or remove jump packs for a drop ppod. which almost seems silly. id rather pay for the pod and leave them with packs. for a turn 2 assault.

If you were to keep the list how it is now.....how would you arm the sergeants and and captain?

I have read the drop pod tactica. Good stuff there.

if i move up to 1500 pts, would you only use more drop pod /deepstrike troops or start taking tanks to start ont he board?
If you do drop the Terminators you can easily squeeze in that Ironclad with Drop Pod. Dreads are probably the best thing to Drop in. Yeah the Assault Squad is just an idea the reason behind them in this list would be to act as a diversion buying your Tactical Squad's time to blow stuff up. But you can do without and just go all Drop Pod.

The thing with the Captain is he is very customizable, but he doesn't specialize as well as a Chaplain or a Librarian. So you can't go wrong with his gear. The Seargent's on the other hand have to be able to support their own squad by doing what the squad can't do ex. Power Weapon/Fist to cut through armour, Meltabombs for tank busting.

And as far as starting with tanks with this list you should prob stick with the Pods. You might need more scoring units in a 1500 pt game and Tanks would only help you contest not contraol. That's why you already have Dreadnought's!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm.

So a drop podded ironclad vs teleported terminators?

The only thing I dont like is that it only takes 1 lucky roll to stomp the iron clad, but the terms have 5 wounds. of course people will only shoot at them with ap2 weapons.

Maybe ill have to play test both and see which one is funner to use. Since this list is built purely for mine and my opponenets enjoyment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
cant think of a title

Bare with me, I am long time Eldar Veteran, and venturing in to uncharted territroy with 5th edition marines.

HQ-

Captain w/?
I use a relic blade and artificer armour although another popular setup is relic blade and storm shield. If using the former, keep him away from enemy combat characters.Another tip I picked up is to allocate some small arms fire to him as not much gets past his 2+ save and even if it does losing a wound is no catastrophie.

Elites-
Deadnaught +Drop Pod
I am presuming this guy came out of black reach in which case I would strongly advice converting his storm bolter(underneath the dreadnought close combat weapon) to a heavy flamer

5 Terminators w/ Assault Cannon
An ironclad would be a good choice to replace these guys but if you do by the dreadnought there is no reason why you couldn't use them both at higher points levels
so no money waisted :)

Troops-

10 Tac Marines w/ Melta, Teleport homer, Drop Pod
I would put a power fist in these squads. It has saved my bacon so many times
10 Tac Marines w/Melta, Drop Pod

This leaves me 105 points to mess with, and arm the captain. I am unsure if it is more beneficial to make the squads a tad smaller to skim the points. Also should I give the sergeants power fist or what?
2 power fists, heavy flamer, relic blade+artificer armour=105 well spent points

Please be patient with this list, as I am new to SMs.
No need to be. It is a very well thought out list. .
Hope I helped and good luck

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope I helped and good luck
This was exactly what I was waiting for.

So a question for the veteren pod players....how much more effective would a podded iron clad be over deepstriking (with teleport homer) termies with assault cannon?

I would obviously take both at 1500, but I want to see how much more effective it is to buy the models ...being as I already own the termies.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So now that we have that figured out. Which 2 pods shoudl be dropped first? I know the teleport one shoudl be in case the termies come on turn 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts