Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading these forums for a long time but this is my first time posting so we'll see how this goes.

In a weeks time I'll be playing in a doubles tournament. The idea is everyone brings along a 1k army and then you're randomly assigned a partner at the start of the day. With that in mind I've tried to make a list that will complement as many other armies as possible. (btw for this tournament the alliance rules wont be used)

Throgg

8x Trolls (3x3 with Throgg in)

Hellcannon

5x marauder horsemen
-MoK
-Musician
-Flails

5x marauder horsemen
-MoK
-Musician
-Flails

6x Warhounds

Obviously lack of magic defense could be an issue but I'm relying on my partner having at least something. Ive gone for the trolls because they're both an excellent hammer and anvil and Throgg can totally destroy any Lord or Hero he's going to come across at 1k especially with his breath weapon in combat.

Just wondered what people thought about the hellcannon and if its worth dropping for something else, not sure what though. Also do you think it would be worth losing the dogs for l. armor and throwing axes on the two horsemen units?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Hmmm. I would make the trolls 4x2 (dropping one), and make other changes as needed to get more hounds, at least two more units. The thing is, that block of trolls is a hammer that most armies only dream of, the flailrauder ponies are decent, and hounds are the best chaff in the game. But I'd start with the trolls and at least three units of hounds before taking anything else. Yeah, the hellcannon is good...as long as you're taking it as a melee unit? Without doom and darkness, the shooting from it just doesn't cut it!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think your list would shock your opponents at such a small point level. If you got an ally who had some magic I'd honestly think you'd roll anyone. I'm not sure if I would keep the Hellcannon though or if I'd rather add in an infantry unit, be it warriors or Marauders. Maybe I'm wrong but it's too unpredictable at such a low point level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah the hellcannons going to be used primarily as melee, that combined with the trolls should hopefully be far too powerful for anything at 1k to match. Dropping 1 troll would free up enough points for another unit of dogs, not sure where i could get points for more though, maybe lose one of the horsemen units.

Controlling my army might be an issue what with stupidity, frenzy and rampage tests every turn but i'll just have to hope the dice gods are on my side.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Controlling my army might be an issue what with stupidity, frenzy and rampage tests every turn but i'll just have to hope the dice gods are on my side.
It will play awfully Orcish lol.

·
Registered
815 Posts
As it stands this army would lose Blood and Glory scenario a second or two after deployment. Better hope your partner has brought some banners.
And that right there is what experience gets us!

[MENTION=86603]The Grumpy Troll[/MENTION]

Do you have the points to give the two units of Horsemen a SB? And with this in mind, I think we just found a reason to drop the hellcannon for a unit of infantry with a SB. Man that stinks, you certainly can't go into this dumping the entire scenario on your partner. Of course what happens if you don't roll that one? lol

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
And that right there is what experience gets us!

Do you have the points to give the two units of Horsemen a SB? And with this in mind, I think we just found a reason to drop the hellcannon for a unit of infantry with a SB. Man that stinks, you certainly can't go into this dumping the entire scenario on your partner. Of course what happens if you don't roll that one? lol
A similar Throgg army actually was fielded at a GW tournament a year or two back (or so I am told by a GW manager) and the judges were brutal in enforcing the RAW of the scenario, thats why I spotted the problem.

As for the scenarios at the GW tournament I recently attended they tell you in advance what the scenarios will be (i.e no random rolls) and for the record Blood and glory was one of them.

Finally despite having two generals in a doubles army for Blood and Glory in the GW doubles tournament the character in the combined force with the highest LD was the general for the purposes of Blood and Glory.

Dumping the scenario on your partner is ok if you can collaborate before the game but it is is very risky for a random doubles.

Personally to have a fighting chance at Blood and glory you need a Fortitude of at least 5. Even a fortitude of 4 means your opponent can just focus on assassinating the general to win. And if Warhammer has taught me anything it is that anyone can be killed.

Two options, a) Hope you get a partner with 4 banners or b) drop the hounds for a standard for the horsemen.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i really like it. as long as your partner brings the magic phase you should be alright. id only make a few small changes.
the marauder horsies.. drop the MoK for MoS or nothing. use them as cruise missiles to hammer into war machines. the MoK just makes them alittle too unpredictable.
second is the hellcannon. youve got trolls for the mass murder. drop that thing and take a full marauder horde for just about the same points. youll get far more survivability and destruction out of it.

if you really wanna bring the cannon, im sure itll do fine.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Hmmm. Not liking banners on marauder horse, too squishy. I'd say dump the hellcannon for a bannered unit of Tz Warriors. They're a solid unit in any game, and in the fortutude scenario, impossible to collect their banner! Your partner will almost certainly have 'the' general, and a BSB (unless he's got TK), meaning that he only needs one other banner for a combined fortitude 5. Assuming that he'll have a BSB+2 is a stretch, so you do need one, but that's all you need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all the feedback :D Just to let you know how it went; Had a fantasticly fun weekend, I got partnered with an entire goblin army bar one BLack Orc Warboss.

50 Goblins, full netter, command, fanatics etc

2 Doom divers

6 Trolls (you should have seen my delighted face :D)

Black Orc warboss w. enchanted shield, potion of speed and 5+ ward

Lvl 4 goblin shaman with dispel scroll.

Our army was.... unpredictable at best. We won 3/5 games. The first one we lost due to poor deployment as we were just getting used to each others armies and the last one we lost half due to being against some very good and well deserving opponents and half due to failing stupidity and rampage tests on both the troll units and the hellcannon for the first THREE turns!

Throgg definitely got man of the tournament taking a very impressive 9 character heads in 5 games :D He even managed to do 11 wounds on a chaos lord which was beautiful (I love the image of a melted lord at his feet :D) and he survived every game.

We actually managed to win Blood and glory somehow. We hid our general (the black orc warboss) and our only banner at the back of the board. We were against two vamp armies and everything they sent at us just bounced off throgg and the other troll while the hellcannon saved the general by holding up the hexwraiths for 5 turns.

All in all a hilarious weekend with quite alot of shouting "you stupid troll!"

·
Registered
815 Posts
He even managed to do 11 wounds on a chaos lord
I have to know the build of that lord ... lol. Could you imagine your Chaos Lord being trounced by a filthy troll!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was actually a pretty bad build on his part. When i first saw that he had a Chaos lord i was nervous but at 1k its really quite limited on what he could have. He just had enchanted shield and hand weapon. He managed to do 2 wounds on me but then i used Throggs breath weapon in combat and obviously it doesn't allow armor saves. IMO taking a chaos lord without some kind of ward save is just asking for something like that to happen though

·
Registered
815 Posts
@Grumpy Troll

Ahhh ... I forgot the 1k. Yeah, an exalted is all you take at that level, not a lord.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed, to be fair though if Throgg can survive the initial attack (and with his regen theres no reason why he shouldnt) he's terrifying to any Lord no matter how they're kitted out. He can dish up what is effectively 3d6 strength 5 hits, no armor saves allowed. Roll well on that (I rolled 18 against the Lord is question btw :D) and they're in for a world of pain.

·
Registered
815 Posts

He can dish up what is effectively 3d6 strength 5 hits
Huh? In one round in a challenge against a Lord? I'm not sure I understand how he gets 3d6 hits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Breath weapons can now be used in combat hitting anyone in base contact with 2d6 instead of the flame template. In a challenge that would just be the lord, the rules also say you make your breath weapon attacks in addition to your regular attacks, thats where the third d6 comes from for throggs regular vomit. It was all checked over by the refs in warhammer world, nottingham (the guys that actually write the eratta) and it all checks out :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Breath weapons can now be used in combat hitting anyone in base contact with 2d6 instead of the flame template. In a challenge that would just be the lord, the rules also say you make your breath weapon attacks in addition to your regular attacks, thats where the third d6 comes from for throggs regular vomit. It was all checked over by the refs in warhammer world, nottingham (the guys that actually write the eratta) and it all checks out :D
I completely forgot about that! Goes to show you how much I use breath weapons eh?

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. There's not much that can withstand that. There's your perfect counter to the wrecking ball Doombull. Oh you can re-roll your armor saves? Well that's nice ... everything I'm doing right now ignores armor saves. What? You don't have a ward save? Oh ... pity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts