Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear brothers in arms;)

I am going to play a 1000 pts campaign in the Cities of Death.
Unfortunately I never played with those rules and have never even seen the book. I will be able to have a look at it, when we start playing but I have to write my army list before...
Of course in my opinion as true imperial commander it is a normal battle with more buildings and some special gimmicks you can choose before battle. So I won´t I have to change anything in my army;)
It feels like my first match against the new Necron Codex SOME years ago... I didn´t know anything about my enemies and experienced some bad surprises. But I managed to make it a draw. So you see I like fluff;)
But an imperial commander without experience in city fights?... That feels wrong.

So I would be happy if you could share some of your experience with me.

Is it better to field platoons or vets or both (like I always do)?
Should I take an LRBT and 2 Chimairas or only one of them or no tanks?
Ah, I almost forgot to mention my enemies: All except Eldar and maybe Necrons.

Thanks for your answers!
Hallmarius

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
In Cityfight, flamers are your friends. Hellhounds are incredibly effective. Heavy tanks such as the Leman Russ tend to suffer quite a bit, due to difficult terrain and cover. A good cityfight board should be literally covered in buildings and rubble, which means almost everything will be getting cover saves. Focus on rate of fire, flamers and barrage weapons. Mortars really come into their own in these games.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hah! Lucky me. I found my old Cities of Death release White Dwarf.
There aren´t many special rules. I always thought i would be as many rules as the old city fight codex.

I think, I´ll leave transports at home and spend their points on more troops. And flamers of course. My lists are always flamer heavy, so I think I´ll enjoy my trip to the city;)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Cities of Death are one of my favourite games and i think Guard are one of the best armies for it. Sentinels, Demolishers, Hell Hounds(and Varients) really come into their own in these games. Plus with some new tricks up our sleeve like Vets with Doctrines, Eradicators and the like we can put out a bit mroe hurt than before.

Transports are pretty handy as lines of sight are reduced so you can get real close quickly and chimeras are dirt cheap. Plus with Hull Heavy Flamers they can be handy for burning infantry out of cover.
Melta guns are pretty much your best bet at Antitank in city fight so take untis that can have them and take them in quantities. PCS, Vets and CCS are all good examples.
Don't forget about artillary aswell. Cheap artillary like griffons can be amazing at pounding infantry whilst being safe behind cover. colossus aswell really comes into its own as it denies cover and AP3 is just horrid against everything bar Deathwing armies.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
One more thing to remember is that in Cityfight, you typically have narrow streets surrounded by buildings. You can use cheap transports to 'block' these routes, forcing the enemy to walk through difficult terrain while simultaneously blocking fire lanes. Having access to a large number of relatively cheap vehicles, this is our ace in the hole.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I thought the whole field would count as difficult terrain. My mistake.
That makes two transports again in my list;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts