Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my idea for a 1000pt army of Tau. I'm quite enamoured with battlesuits (obviously) and am thinking this army might be too fluffy and too inspired by my own tastes in fighting to be effective. The lack of hard troops choices is a bit disconcerting for me, but I didn't want to drop a lot of the suits and spend a ton of money on buying Devilfish transports. Is this army just a waste of time?
HQ
Commander
1 Shas’el in XV8 Battlesuit with fusion blaster and twin-linked plasma rifle, hard-wired multi-tracker, hard-wired targeting array, hard-wired drone controller and 1 shield drone and 1 gun drone

HQ
Commander
1 Shas’el in XV8 Battlesuit with fusion blaster and twin-linked plasma rifle, hard-wired multi-tracker, hard-wired targeting array

ELITES
Crisis Team
1 Shas’vre Team Leader in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with plasma rifle and missile pod, targeting array and hard-wired multi-tracker
1 Shas’vre in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with plasma rifle, missile pod and multi-tracker
1 Shasv’re in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with plasma rifle, missile pod and multi-tracker

ELITES
Crisis Team
1 Shas’vre in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with twin-linked missile pod and targeting array
1 Shas’vre in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with twin-linked missile pod and targeting array

ELITES
Stealth Team
3 Shas’ui with XV25 Stealth Battlesuits with burst cannons

TROOPS
Fire Warrior Team
1 Shas’la with pulse rifle, hard-wired target lock and markerlight
5 Shas’ui with pulse rifles

TROOPS
Fire Warrior Team
1 Shas’la with pulse rifle, hard-wired target lock and markerlight
5 Shas’ui with pulse rifles

HEAVY SUPPORT
Broadside Team
1 Shas’vre in XV88 Broadside Suit with twin-linked railguns, smart missile system and targeting array
1 Shas’vre in XV88 Broadside Suit with twin-linked railguns, smart missile system and targeting array

·
Registered
278 Posts
Suit heavy lists are viable, but you need to check your codex because your list is quite wrong.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is problematic exactly? I am quite new to Tau so I'm sure my mistake is an otherwise obvious one, haha!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Crisis commanders currently have 4 suit weapons/support systems you have to take 3. Theres no such thing as a hard-wired targetting array, this is a support system.

You would have to drop the twin-linkeding on the plasma rifle to make this legal, and why'll you there I would drop the drones, keep him as an independent character.

I would think about making the broadsides a little more mobile with the advanced stabilistion system, the twin-linking will still keep them effective. Any other changes which I'd suggest would go against your theme so I'd say just try it out and see how it plays.

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
What is problematic exactly? I am quite new to Tau so I'm sure my mistake is an otherwise obvious one, haha!
I think Brother spec.ops is being a little harsh. Your list has a few errors but I certainly wouldn't say that it is quite wrong. At least not without pointing out why, I wouldn't!

Instead, I would suggest that Brother Don't Panic is very much closer to hitting the nail on the head.

Your XV8 suits have 3 hardpoints which must be filled by weapons or support systems; the targetting array is a support system and thus has to be fitted on one of these, meaning you can then take only 2 weapons. Frankly, with the higher BS of your HQ plus a targetting array I would suggest that you drop the twin-linked aspect and go for a single plasma rifle, saving yourself points in the process (enough for another couple of FWs)

Similarly, taking a targetting array on your XV88s is a waste of points since your main weapons system is TL. It would be much better to take the advanced stablisation system (ASS and hence BASS) for the same points cost, allowing you a degree of mobility whilst retaining the ability to move and fire.

Taking drones on your HQ means that it loses IC status and can thus be picked out as a target. Your IC status will make your HQ much more survivable than giving it a couple of drones.

Other than these points, which both DP and I have touched on, why not try your list as it is and see how it gets on. You'll never know how good it is until you try it yourself, and it might easily suit your particular style of play.

~ Ravenscraig ~

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
One other thing I noticed was that you use the Shas'vre upgrade with virtually every XV suit. You can only have one 'Vre per team. Another element concerning the 'Vre upgrade is that it is a pretty pointless upgrade unless you are planning to use Special Issue items, as these are restricted to 'Vre and above (excepting the Stealth Suit 'Vre). Effectively you are using up X points for no particular benefit.

Please don't take offence when I say this, as none is intended, but you really need to re-read your Tau Empire codex several times before setting down a realistic army list. There are so many little nuances and bits of information hidden/spread about that book that it seriously requires the reader to read it at least three/four times. It is amazing what even vet players can miss! (points finger at self)

E.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am quite new at this, and that is becoming increasingly apparent. I've made quite a few revisions. I intend to buy the small(er) box set and the Rapid Insertion Force, and it will provide me enough models to do this (revised) 1k point list. Furthermore, with the purchase of a few more troops, it'll allow me to go to 1k points fairly easily.

Here is my list, w/ revisions:

HQ
Commander
1 Shas’el in XV8 Battlesuit with fusion blaster and plasma rifle and hard-wired multi-tracker, shield generator
HQ
Commander
1 Shas’el in XV8 Battlesuit with fusion blaster and twin-linked plasma rifle and hard-wired multi-tracker

ELITES
Crisis Team
1 Shas’ui Team Leader in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with plasma rifle and missile pod, targeting array and hard-wired multi-tracker
1 Shas’ui XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with plasma rifle, missile pod and multi-tracker
1 Shas’ui in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with plasma rifle, missile pod and multi-tracker

ELITES
Crisis Team
1 Shas’ui XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with twin-linked missile pod, targeting array
1 Shas’ui in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit with twin-linked missile pod, targeting array

ELITES
Stealth Team
6 Shas’ui in XV25 Stealth Battlesuits with burst cannons

TROOPS
1 Shas’ui with pulse rifle, markerlight and hard-wired target lock
9 Shas’la with pulse rifles
1 Devilfish with smart missile system, targeting array, disruption pods and decoy launcher

TROOPS
10 Kroot with kroot rifles

I decided to omit the Broadside suit, and use the fish of fury tactic I have been reading about on these forums. I figure that by equipping one of my commanders with a shield, and deepstriking him (with his anti-armour weapons) he can heroically do the job that a broadside might do from six feet away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, the crisis suit opption for AT is a little more risky than the broadside one. However with the presence of the missile pods and as your not too likely to see much heavy armour at 1000 points this wouldn't be too much of a problem.

The use of a commander is still at bit risky, with it only taking 1 failed save to die. If using that tactic probably taking a targetting array and two shield drones instead of the shield generator. Sould surrive a little longer at least, although you would have to find some points, probably by dropping a stealth suit

The second comander should really swap the twin-lined plasma for a targetting array to make him more effective.

All the rest looks fine although you'll probably make some tweaks as you play a few times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.