Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I want to make a power gaming 1000 pts traditional space wolf army, maybe even to use in a tournament. Any suggestions for fine lists?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I would take a venerable dreadnaught, probably podded in for maximum survivability.

As SW forces pretty much revolve around their HQ's I would go For a moderately expensive wolf lord (150 points makes a good limit), he with any wolf guard/blood claws will be the backbone of your assault forces.

It is so varied what you could do, DP a lord w/ wolf guard, through them in a land raider (or LRC if you want!).

The strength of your force will revolve around either grey hunters to provide a shooty base or blood claws if you go the assault route (which IMO is the only way to go).

Heavy support should be either long fangs or a predator, land raiders are goo heavy support options but they are better as transports. LRC's make good mobile firebases for transporting lords and the like.

I hope this gives you a start, posting an army list would make it easier for us to help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1001 Dark Angels
HQ
Reclusiarch, Terminator honours, BP, Jump Pack, frag grenades, blades of reason 127 pts

ELITES
Dreadnought, venerable, TLLC, ML, tank hunter, extra armour, 170 pts.

TROOPS
Tactical squad x5, Plasma cannon, Plasma gun, 100 pts
Tactical squad x5, Plasma cannon, Plasma gun, 100 pts

FAST ATTACK
Assault squad x7, 2x Plasma pistol, Veteran sergeant w/ bp and powerfist, 194 pts
Ravenwing Land Speeder Tornado, Assault cannon, 80 pts
Ravenwing Land Speeder Tornado, Assault cannon, 80 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Devastator squad x6, 3x Missile launcher, 150 pts

993 Space wolfs
HQ
1 Rune Priest w/Frost blade,frag grenades,Chooser of the slain, storm shield, bike 155 Pts

1 Venerable dreadnought, assault cannon, extra armour, 160 pts

Elites
5 Scouts, 2x power weapon meltabombs 110 pts

TROOPS
180 pts
7 Grey Hunters, CCW, 9x Bolter, 1x Plasmagun, 1x PF's, 150 pts
Drop pod 30

8 Blood Claws Pack w/ 2 powerfirst Rhino 194

8 Blood Claws Pack w/ 2 powerfirst Rhino 194

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Right, you have the basics there, now its more a case of 'tweaking' it.

For your two HQ's take a venerable dread as it is (maybe pod it) and a wolf lord (keep him to about a 150 point limit- I find thats the most expensive he can get before he takes stuff that is pointless).

Grey hunters are best when taken purely with fire support, give them plasma guns and if you keep them a base strength a razorback may not be a bad choice.

Wolf scouts really need meltabombs, they make excellant tank hunters, may give them some power weapons to give them a bit more of an edge.

I would make one blood claw pack 9 strong so the wolf lord can join them.

The crusader is too big a points sink, invest in some long fangs or a predator (I prefer LF), give them all missile launchers for maximum versatility.

I'm not sure what to make of the bikes, I haven't had any experience with them so I can't comment.

That is a good list, its not quite a powergaming one but you are getting there. I would wait and see what other people have to say.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Such an assaulty list will help you in a powergame against most opponents, though you must know that there are opponents you just won't win of due to lack of flexibility and shooting. Against which a more GH focussed list would be seriously better.

But you just go the way you want.

If you're going the assaulty way, Outsider has solid advice.

As you're going at 1k, you need 2 HQs. The second I would keep as cheap as possible.
Then the bikes, instead of a unit of Attack Bikes I recommend a smallish unit of BC Bikers. You can always stick in an Attack Bike with multi-melta for some much needed backbone and support. Finally I'd stick in some character. Either one of your HQs or a Wolf Guard.
If you're taking one of your HQs with the Bikers I'd give your second BC Rhino pack a Wolf Guard.
Where-ever you take a Wolf Guard, on equipment I advice a powerfist, bp and a Wolf Tooth Necklace (to hit on 3s always).

Tai'shar

·
Registered
822 Posts
just that you know,
the 1 per 5 rule is rounded. So with 8-12 BC you get 2 weapons and 13+ you get 3 weapons.
I'll suggest two units of 10 Grey Hunters, CCW, 9x Bolter, 1x Plasmagun, 2 PF's, Drop Pod.
502 pts (that's the troops)
Your HQ's
2x Wolf Guard Battle Leader, Bike, Frost Weapon, BP, Frags, Wolf Tail Talisman 4 Wolves.
332 (your HQ's :))
And another troop, BLood Claws, just because I'm in the mood for them today.
8 Blood Claws, 2 Powerfists, Drop Pod.

100o pts, nasty-nass.

HAHA!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hmm, 1000pts doesn't give you much leeway since you have to sink TWO HQs soaking up a lot of points (unless you want to keep em' cheap).

As already noted but just to re-emphasize....

Drop one Blood Claws pack to 9 members - then you can squeeze the Rune Priest in the Rhino with them. That's almost a compulsory Wolves configuration.

Depending on what you plan on using them for, I'd suggest Meltaguns over Plasmas for your units...mainly since what seemingly is your only armor popping goodness comes from your wolf scouts.

Blood Claws...err, two full units of claws? Okay. You save some points but those saved points may not be worth it with WS/BS 3.

Scouts - one melta might not be enough to pop a tank...but with supporting plasmas, you definately up your chance against those tender back armors. Meltabombs would be nice ONLY if your foes have their backrow armour side by side (so instead of shooting, just assault...cause if you shoot and kill the tank, you can't assault). If you drop down to five scouts, you'll save some points. Remember, OBEL scouts are basically suicide squads...no need to tool them up when it's not needed. Their task, run in there, pop the tank, or engage the heavy weapon squad for a few turns, and then die. Adding Power Swords may help against infantry...and it makes your scouts a bit more flexible.

Anyhow, I REALLY suggest you do the points...your force now seems quite bloated. There's almost NO way a LRC can fit into a 1000pt game without seemingly dumping all your eggs into one basket especially since you need to take 2 HQs. Can't you bump it up to 1500pts?

Fox

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes it is possible for me to make a 1500 point list. As you guys have more expierence with wolfs could you give me some possibiltities og powergaming lists of list that do well. It doesn't matter what units are in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You want a "powergaming" list? Hehe. Haven't you checked out the other SW army lists on this and other forums...I'm sure there are TONS of em'. After several nerfs in 3rd Ed, and now 4th Ed, I don't think you can "powergame" in a cheesy way with the wolves anymore. They are not "THE" army to play to dominate games by wiping your opponents into smitherines...more so, they never were. Wolves are close combat beast, elite close combat beasts with low numbers...so although emerging victorious, many are going to die. The wolves are a hardy bunch, still very tough and aggressive, but Wolf Lords commanding their forces MUST become more cunning, more clever, and play a lot smarter if they desire continued victory.

You might want to check out the Sons of Russ thread. It's long but it's filled with goodness from many of the other wolves players on this forum. They are EXPERIENCED gamers who have dirt under their nails and blood stained chainswords at their sides. Read what they have to say... My suggestion, research, research, research, and learn, learn, learn. People do "hand out" these power lists and advice....but YOU gotta do some work too.

That being said...

Look at what sets the wolves apart from other marines, and focus on what their strengths are and be cautious of their weaknesses. I'm actually very short on time, so I'll cover a few quick notes...

Wait, I just reviewed your list...y'know, I think you already know a lot about playing smart with wolves...

1. Powerfists/Power Weapons - The core strength of SW Packs
2. OBEL Scouts - Err, don't leave home without em'
3. HQ - the Double Edged Sword
4. V Dreds - He which Dulls the Second Edged Blade
5. Rune Priest - Why Dark and Stormy Days are Nice

These are but a few of the most common areas of strengths for the wolves.

Fox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts