Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With some great help from Deceiver via LO Chat, I've designed what I think will be a reasonably good (and cost effective) 1000 point Wood Elves list to help me get started into Fantasy. Let me know what you experts think!

Lords & Heroes

1 Spellsinger, level 2, dispel scroll

Core

10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard
5 Scouts, musician
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

Special

6 Wardancers, musician
6 Wild Riders, musician

Rare

1 Great Eagle

Total: 1000 points

I plan on proxying some Glade Riders for the Wild Riders if I can't find a good way to convert them. I like this list overall; I feel like it will get me some combat experience, shooting experience, magic experience, and annoyance experience. I have some decent combat potential, reasonable shooting, decent magic (I think), marchblocking and annoyance with skirmishers, and warmachine disruption with the great eagle. Also, the things I'd need to buy for it will give me some extra models to build on:

1 battalion box, 1 Dryads box, 1 Glade Guard box, 1 Wardancers box, 1 Spellsinger

Gives me 15 extra Glade Guard, 8 extra Dryads, and 4 extra Wardancers.

What do you all think?

·
4,361 Posts
Very decent list. You have 6 points left by your calculations so put a musician in one of you units of glade guard. And just for reference, the skirmishing glade guard are usually refered to as scouts in lists.

SirKently

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very decent list. You have 6 points left by your calculations so put a musician in one of you units of glade guard. And just for reference, the skirmishing glade guard are usually refered to as scouts in lists.

SirKently
Changed the name on the skirmishing GG; good thing to know. Also added in the musician, since they're wasted points otherwise. :)

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Lords & Heroes

1 Spellsinger, level 2, dispel scroll
Just lvl 1. You aren't going to get any spells off with a single lvl 2 caster. You'll get better magic defense from a lvl 1 branchwraith with a cluster of radiants.

Core

10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
5 Glade Guard, skirmishers, musician
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
Good selection and no complaints. If you had points for mus on the glade guard, it'd be worth it.

Special

6 Wardancers, musician
6 Wild Riders, musician
I like this. You could get by with 5 wild riders at this point level.

Rare

1 Great Eagle
You will never go wrong with this choice. Too cheap not too take.

My only critique is that you have only the eagle to bait and voluntarily flee a charge. All the Immune to Psych units will have to suck it up and take it on the chin, even when hell in a hand basket is coming their way.

I plan on proxying some Glade Riders for the Wild Riders if I can't find a good way to convert them. I like this list overall; I feel like it will get me some combat experience, shooting experience, magic experience, and annoyance experience. I have some decent combat potential, reasonable shooting, decent magic (I think), marchblocking and annoyance with skirmishers, and warmachine disruption with the great eagle. Also, the things I'd need to buy for it will give me some extra models to build on:

1 battalion box, 1 Dryads box, 1 Glade Guard box, 1 Wardancers box, 1 Spellsinger

Gives me 15 extra Glade Guard, 8 extra Dryads, and 4 extra Wardancers.

What do you all think?
It's a solid list. I'd tweak the hero choice. It balances shooting and combat, which is the key to wood elves, along with availing yourself of movement. Magic is a non-factor for wood elves. You either go all out with your character choices, and hope to get a decent spell off, or you go for standard defense and rely instead on killing power.

Myself, I don't rely much on characters. I like magic defense from a singer and a branchwraith. Then I have a cheap noble to deliver the Hail of Doom Arrow. Then I take a highborn with the bow of loren and arcane bodkins just to deal with armor; plus, it generally keeps almost 300 pts alive at the end of the game because nobody can catch him on his eagle.

Okay I have to get offline and stop posting. I'm going to turn into another Lost Nemesis if I'm not careful.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just lvl 1. You aren't going to get any spells off with a single lvl 2 caster. You'll get better magic defense from a lvl 1 branchwraith with a cluster of radiants.
What about a level 1 Spellsinger with two scrolls, or even just with one? I'm a bigger fan of an elf than a branchwraith, personally, just for the aesthetic feel of the list.

Good selection and no complaints. If you had points for mus on the glade guard, it'd be worth it.
I've got the points for one, and if I downgrade the level 2 singer to a level 1 I can get it on both.

I like this. You could get by with 5 wild riders at this point level.
6 is better than 5 though, right? I have nowhere else adequate to put the points, I don't think.

My only critique is that you have only the eagle to bait and voluntarily flee a charge. All the Immune to Psych units will have to suck it up and take it on the chin, even when hell in a hand basket is coming their way.
Any suggestions for helping to remedy this, or with this build do I just have to accept that and work with it?

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Lvl 1 singer with two scrolls is fine. You have less dispel dice and no combat power. The branchwraith is lvl 1 with no scrolls and a cluster for four dispel dice and good combat power. Up to you really. If the aesthetics are important, then go for the lvl 1 singer.

Six are better for attacks, lasting power against enemy shooting and magic, etc. Just more VPs if they die.

Pizza's here. Gotta run!

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Dave, ill just give a few reasons as to why the initial list looks as it does:

The Spellsinger.
LN didnt want a Branchwraith, instead opting for a more Elfy list (Hooray!) I suggested the Lv2 in order for him to become more familiar with how both sides of the magic phase worked in his first few fantasy games. Then later on he can make a balanced decision about the magic level of his army. Personally dont believe in Scrolls, but one could be handy.,

The Core came from the batallion plus a few extras. Music could go on one GG unit as the points are spare. To save the need to buy more GG so soon i suggested buying the Eternal Guard command, and using the Musician in the Scouts. perfect number of elves there, and wanting an Elfy list then the Eternal Guard will be useful someday too in their own unit.

the Wild riders were originally Glade Riders, but i thought for the tiny extra cost, why not suggest using the GR from the Batallion as WR for now. Kind f a proxy, but it should be fine. they come with spears to arm themselves with, and i suggested addding bown onto their backs in order as for them to possibly revert to GG later on without the need for remodelling.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
2,642 Posts
What about a level 1 Spellsinger with two scrolls, or even just with one? I'm a bigger fan of an elf than a branchwraith, personally, just for the aesthetic feel of the list.
A level 1 with 2 scrolls is your best bet IMO. Some lists will dominate you with magic, but 2 scrolls and 3 DD should be enough to keep the hurty magic suppressed long enough for you to set up some traps.

6 is better than 5 though, right? I have nowhere else adequate to put the points, I don't think.
6 is better than 5 if you can get the charge with them. As David mentioned, with only the eagle to bait-and-flee you're left with this unit as shock troops. Against any respectably-sized unit, the extra attacks on the charge won't be enough to save you from combat res - chances of this unit breaking and fleeing is above average (due to a lack of charge bait and no banner or war banner), so investing a lot of your strategy in them sticking around may not be wise.

Any suggestions for helping to remedy this, or with this build do I just have to accept that and work with it?
In this list there's really nothing that can be done - eagle aside, you've got 3 units that can flee from charges and none of them belong near combat. Your best bet in this case is to use the inherent mobility of your list to angle for charges.

These tricks will come with time though. This list is a good starter list - representative of some funamental WE tactics and tricks.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Revised:

Lords & Heroes

1 Spellsinger, level 1, 2 x dispel scroll

Core

10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, musician
5 Scouts, musician
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

Special

6 Wardancers, musician
6 Wild Riders, musician

Rare

1 Great Eagle

Total: 996 points

All I did was downgrade the singer to a level 1, add another dispel scroll, and add a musician to the second Glade Guard unit. Any other advice? Thanks to those who have commented. :) I'm learning.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
The Scouts can Bait and Flee too no? One of the reasons i suggested their inclusion.
Sure, they can do that, but if they deploy as scouts, they'll have a hard time getting in front of a lot of units to bait. And they flee only 2d6, not 3d6 like fast cav and flyers.

It's not a terrible fault in the list. The alternative might be to drop the scouts and one wild rider to get a unit of glade riders. But doing the math in my head, that wouldn't free up quite enough points.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Scouts can bait and flee but as skirmishers they are very hard to use to angle the enemy unit in the right way.

The list should work fine LN, the scouts are good for marchblocking and the eagle can redirect danger units.

I have found Glade riders invaluable at 1000pts. After you have played with the above list a few times, give them a crack. Also, avail yourself of the excellent tactica that some of the guys have written on the Wood Elves. It will give you a good idea of what's out there.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Wild Riders are actually going to be proxied using the Glade Rider models from the Battalion box. I really like the idea of Glade Riders, but they don't seem to be very hard hitting or what have you, and to squeeze them into the list I'd have to lose some other things.

However, if there are some suggestions, building off of the battalion box, I'm more than willing to turn the list to a different direction, also. Like I said, I like the models and idea of Glade Riders, I just don't know how to fit them in the list very well.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Your plan is best, paint the glade riders as glade riders. Once you build to larger point armies, you'll want to use them as glade riders, and you'll probably have wild rider models by then.

The Wild Rider models are awesome and look stunning with a nice paint job. But you can definitely convert them by buying a second box of glade riders, for much cheaper than the WR models cost.

Skarsgard gives you good advice. Get used to the wild riders for several games and then try out the models as glade riders. They play very differently. Using them in tandem at 2000+ points is fun, too, and central to my army list.

Both GRs and WRs are two of the few WE units that can bust ranks. Having two on the table is better than one, for that reason alone.

Anyhow, you've got a solid list. Deceiver gave you sound advice. I mean, Phenix. Or impostor, or whatever his name is. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.