Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1000pt game against 'nids using my daemonhunters. Opinions?

"Grandmaster Taekis" Grand Master (155)
Teleport Homer

5 Grey Knights + Justicar (175)

5 Grey Knights + Justicar (185)
1x Incinerator

4 Grey Knights + Justicar (170)
2x Incinerator

"Inquisitor Gyrain" Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (95)
Thunder hammer
Bolter-Flamer combo
Artificer Armour
"Servitor Gyrain-384" Heavy Bolter Servitor

"Operative V-50372" Offico Assassinorium Operative (110)
Vindicare Temple

"Venerable Kotan" Grey Knights Dreadnought (110)
Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon
Stormbolter
Assault Cannon

Total: 1000pts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have absolutely no idea, it's teh first time I'll have played him and only my second 40K game in 3 years or thereabouts.

I do know that he intends to use a hive tyrant and guard and that he has models for up to 40 gaunts.

As a result I was trying to get a fair bit of shootyness before he gets into CC, then charge.

I'll also probably replace the servitor with another standard GK (as I can't find the servitor model)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess you'd be able to pull it of... But since you, as far as I can tell, don't have any armoured vehicles you might wanna find out if this guy uses biovores and/or any monstrous creatures armed with barbed stranglers. If he does, your best option is to get into close combat fast! That might sound crazy, but poison mines, and stranglers hurt... and aren't incinerators able to fire after moving?

If you can get infiltrators or fast attack you might wanna try coming up from behind and whack as many monstrous creatures as possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have a Land Raider that I could use, but the problem with those is that it takes up an awful lot of points in a 1000pt game.
In a 1500pt I'd defiantely take one, though.

What do you reckon?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hopefully I don't sound like an expect in the field of marine tech, cause I ain't :p

But I do know what a landraider costs. And you're right it's too expensive.

I still think that you should get those flamers shooting fast... They really hurt on Nidz :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, considering loss of Servitor list will now look like:

HQ
"Grandmaster Taekis" Grand Master (155)
Teleport Homer

Troops
5 Grey Knights + Justicar (175)

1x Incinerator

Fast Attack
5 Grey Knights + Justicar (195)
2x Incinerator

Elites
"Inquisitor Gyrain" Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (60)
Thunder hammer
Bolter-Flamer combo
Artificer Armour

"Operative V-50372" Offico Assassinorium Operative (110)
Vindicare Temple

Heavy Support
"Venerable Kotan" Grey Knights Dreadnought (110)
Stormbolter
Assault Cannon

Troop Grey Knights with an Incinerator to stand furthest forward in the battle lines to try and use that. Fast Attack GKs hopefully to teleport in behind 'nid lines and use the incinerators there. Otherwise set them up as standard or teleport them in another place, depending on my tyranid deployment.

What do you think? I'll try and use the incinerators as well as I can...

·
Registered
67 Posts
It could work... Though it's the first time I'll see this tactic used.

I'll see if I can find someone who'll give an second opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, if I do end up going with this idea then I'll you know after Tuesday.
Second battle with deamonhunters....should be fun!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I collect both nids and daemonhunters and i know that the grand master could easily be killed by a warp blast S10 AP2 even with his 5+ inv

The inquisitor will die quickly in combat because he is striking last. A carnifex could kill him effortlessly and gaunts have so many attacks he would fail at least 2 saves.

The vindicaire will be useless as nids are a swarm army and you will not cause any casualties that will make a difference. If you shoot the tyrant you will be lucky to get 1 wound on it before it tears up everything in combat.

A callidus would cause loads of damage to gaunts. with a flame template and ap 1
she could really mess up their advance giving you more time to gun down everything.

A dreadnought has no chance in combat against big stuff as a fex would get 10+2d6 armour penetration. Almost guranteed penatrating. If you use it to shoot then 110 pts is a bit much for an assault cannon and storm bolter.
For that price you could have 2 squads of stormtroopers with 2 flamers in each.

Hope i have been helpful.
NOBODY CAN ESCAPE THE SCRUTINY OF THE INQUISITION!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd advice you to get some Stormtroopers, as they can fire a lot of rounds. I dont see the need for the Vindicare either. Get a Callidus (the Neural Shredder is great and her special rules are great) if you are going to use an assassin. Id rather ditch the assassin and the inq, and get more stormies and/or GK.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i agree with slai. ST will be really helpful, although u are not going to be as good as in combat, u will need the plasma weapons to get rid of the horde armies of the tyranids which they usually are(freaking mad gaunts and sepecially genestealers...)
and if he does take a zoanthrope with warp blast, just shoot the godamn thing as it wont last very long to psycannons and other GK termie weapons(or in this case, incinerators)
but this is a really rare case, the nid player probably have a horde army with warriors and hive tyrant as HQ, along with a caniflex.
GK termies can easily warriors with NFW if they charge out of transport(try to get a transport if u can)
and as for the tyrant, it is for your GM to asswhip :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
i would remove the assasin and inquis. and add a retinue of terminators to help the GM

i would add an incinerator to the dreadnought to help out

i play prue GK and so would suggest kepping just then as they will be great in combat when u eventualy get into combat (as u definately will)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the battle was fought directly after a 750pt Dwarfs vs Orcs, Goblins and a Giant (which I won...just about....gotta love Dwarf Crossbows!).

Anyway, the end result was in his favour.
Kotan managed to hold up the entire group of 30 'Gaunts for two to three turns (can't remember which) after assaulting them, after killing the Zoanthrope with his linked lascannons.
The Callidus killed around 15 of the 'Gaunts and a 'Stealer
Taekis and the 6-man Grey Knight squad killed 5 'Stealers and a few other things, including a Tyrant Guard and around 7 'Gaunts.
Gyrain, his GK squad and the fast attack squad killed two lictors.

At the end of the game my entire army was dead and the Tyranids were left with the Hive Tyrant and a single Tyrant guard.
Not bad for my second game in 3 years.

The army list I used in the end was:
HQ
"Grandmaster Taekis" Grand Master (165)
Holocaust

Troops
1x Incinerator

4 Grey Knights + Justicar (160)
1x Incinerator

Fast Attack
4 Grey Knights + Justicar (160)
1x Incinerator

Elites
"Inquisitor Gyrain" Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (65)
Thunder hammer
Bolter-Flamer combo
Icon of the Just

"Operative Ca-50372" Offico Assassinorium Operative (120)
Callidus Temple

Heavy Support
"Venerable Kotan" Grey Knights Dreadnought (145)
Incinerator
Linked Lascannons

My opponent's army contained a Hive Tyrant with two Tyrant Guards, a Zoanthrope, six Genestealers, two Lictors and thirty 'Gaunts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good job on holding up the Tyranid horde, I thought for sure that you were going to get completely slaughtered.

Have you thought about a platoon of Cadians or possibly a squad of Marines to try to engage and hold up the gaunts & stealers so your characters can focus on the Hive Tyrant next time? The points cost would be small and even the IG platoon could decimate the gaunts/stealers at range to weaken them severally before they can get to assault, that is if all of the lasguns are focused in their attack.

IMO, to fight Tyranids effectively you need plenty of models to engage the gaunts and that frees up your hard hitters to take out the big ones. Its hard to do this with Grey Knights of course, as all their models are so darn expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The main problem i had against the nids was their genestealers, ive fought many nids and found out that i should hold my ground against them. Making the incineratiors usless, think about it with a psycannon you can be killing 3 nids a round at 36 inches, with an incineratior you can hopefully kill about 6 to 7 nids. The hive tyrant should be dealt with with the eversor assassin. I have seen him go through 2 and a half wraithlords in a single game (gotta love that gaunlet). Also, take storm troopers, make the inquisitor a shooty one armed with a psycannon, 2 hvy bolter servitors and a plasma cannon servitor. Drop the dread, its just not worth it, if possible see if you can get a land raider crusaider in your army, ive never seen anything go through troops so fast. Genestealers can be countered by just blowing the crap out of them with anything. (thank you "shoot the big ones!")

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, you'll find that Tyranids are sweet. I guess that you did pretty good for the first time in 3 years or whatever the hell it was. One question though, did they field any Carnifexes? If so, tell me exactly what happened to them and what they did to you and I'll get back to you on that. I know how to kill Carnifexes without losing a guy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Have you thought about a platoon of Cadians or possibly a squad of Marines to try to engage and hold up the gaunts & stealers so your characters can focus on the Hive Tyrant next time?"
Yes, I have. Only problem is that I need to buy some!

"Drop the dread, its just not worth it"
Actually, I found the Dreadnought very useful
Not only did it kill of the Zoanthrope but it also held up all the 'Gaunts for a full two turns, allowing my Knights to concentrate on the other enemies, including the Lictors that popped out (and killed my Dread).

"did they field any Carnifexes?"
Nope, my friend doesn't own any yet, but he's definately buying one or two soon.
Any advice would be appreciated.

"2 hvy bolter servitors and a plasma cannon servitor"
Just as soon as I get them!

"The hive tyrant should be dealt with with the eversor assassin"
Maybe so, but the Callidus did a fair bit of damage, and the Word in your Ear is very useful! Pulled the 'stealers out of their hiding place so I could shoot them (got 5 out of 6, unfortunately left the last one).

"if possible see if you can get a land raider crusaider in your army, ive never seen anything go through troops so fast"
Bit costly though, in a 1000 pouint game and in monetary terms and not very fluffy.

The Emperor Protects!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.