Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first army list. I've read the tacticas here and tried tocome up with a mobile, hard-hitting force. Any criticism is welcome.

HQ
Shas'el w/ PR, MP, TA, HWMT, HWBSF

ELITE
6x XV15 Stealth w/ Burst Cannon

2x XV8 w/ PR, MP, MT

2x XV8 w/ TLMP, TA

TROOP
10x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

8x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

HEAVY SUPPORT

2x XV88 w/ ASS, HW 1x TL
2x XV88 w/ ASS, HW 1x TL

The Blacksun Filter on the HQ is solely becauseI had 3 points leftover and that seemed a better option than a 997pt army.

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Firstly doublej, welcome to the forum. You'll find all the answers you're likely to need here - eventually!

I have a few quick points on your list. With 2 FW squads and 2 Broadside squads I wouldn't describe your list as being particularly mobile. I'd be tempted to drop one of your XV88 squads (yielding 175pts if I understood your list correctly) and a couple of your stealthsuits. That alone will give you 235pts to play with, almost a quarter of your Army total. Go for a Hammerhead and a squad of Kroot. Bulk up one of the FW squads to 12, drop the smaller squad and use the other 65pts (if I've done the math correctly in my head) to take a Piranha with targetting array. This will give you greater mobility and much greater flexibility. I can think of (at least) one person who will disagree with my line on the stealthsuit/Piranha issue but it works well for me, which is why I'm offering it as a suggested option, worth trying out, if nothing else, to see if it suits your style of play.

~ Ravenscraig ~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Firstly doublej, welcome to the forum.
Thanks!

I have a few quick points on your list. With 2 FW squads and 2 Broadside squads I wouldn't describe your list as being particularly mobile.
My first thoughts were to put the FW in a devilfish and take a railhead, but I chose not to for two reasons.

1. 2 Devilfish and a Railhead is more than 25% of my total points.
2. That Railhead would look awful lonesome against whatever AT my opponent has. I'd expect a good shot turn 1 and then concentrated firepower would take it off the grid.

The Static FW and XV88s are a decent substitute I suppose.

I'd be tempted to drop one of your XV88 squads (yielding 175pts if I understood your list correctly)
170 by my math, although I could be wrong. 2 XV88s + 2 ASS + team leader + TL = 170?

Go for a Hammerhead and a squad of Kroot. Bulk up one of the FW squads to 12, drop the smaller squad
HQ
Shas'el w/ PR, MP, TA, HWMT,

ELITE
6x XV15 Stealth w/ Burst Cannon

2x XV8 w/ PR, MP, MT

2x XV8w/ TLMP, TA

TROOP
12x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
w/ Devilfish w/ SMS, MT, DL, TA, TL

10x Kroot w/ 4 hounds

HEAVY SUPPORT

Hammerhead w/ Railgun, SMS, MT, DL, TA, TL

=998pts yes?

Is that better? Everything except the Kroot Squad is either a counts-as-fast skimmer or JSJ-capable, and the kroot make a decent speed bump. If they deploy in cover they can serve as an annoyance unit before dying for the greater good. I must say though, I really enjoyed the independently-targetting twin-linked shots of the XV88s.

I have anti-tank covered (barely, although MT+DL gives the hammerhead a degree of survivability), a decent amount of anti-MEQ, anti-transport, and plenty of anti-GEQ. Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P.S. I'm reluctant to drop the stealth suits, as they look like a great anti-horde unit, and with volume of fire and JSJ, they look to be decent at anti-MEQ, which is Tau's biggest shortfall from my understanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they get 18 shots, at a 50% hit rate, 66% wound rate, and MEQs will save against 66% of the wounds. By my math thats 2 dead MEQs per shooting phase? By my understanding of the points costs, if they target MEQs the entire game and get 2 kills per turn, they make even on points. Against GEQs or less, they net some points, yes?

This does raise a question on my part: How likely are Stealths positioned in forward cover to get a shot at rear armor of advancing armored units? 18 shots against AV 10 seems like a penetrating hit waiting to happen. Or do they register so high on the threat list that armor won't advance with stealths still active(Which has its own advantages, but I digress)?

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
P.S. I'm reluctant to drop the stealth suits, as they look like a great anti-horde unit, and with volume of fire and JSJ, they look to be decent at anti-MEQ, which is Tau's biggest shortfall from my understanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they get 18 shots, at a 50% hit rate, 66% wound rate, and MEQs will save against 66% of the wounds. By my math thats 2 dead MEQs per shooting phase? By my understanding of the points costs, if they target MEQs the entire game and get 2 kills per turn, they make even on points. Against GEQs or less, they net some points, yes?

This does raise a question on my part: How likely are Stealths positioned in forward cover to get a shot at rear armor of advancing armored units? 18 shots against AV 10 seems like a penetrating hit waiting to happen. Or do they register so high on the threat list that armor won't advance with stealths still active(Which has its own advantages, but I digress)?
I'm afraid I really can't help you regarding stealthsuits because I'm not a fan of them. Conversely, most other people seem to swear by them, but they've never worked for me and I rarely take them as a result. Instead I look for alternative solutions to the problem. At the same time, a 6-strong stealthsuit team in 1,00pts seems pretty haevy to me.

Against MEQs I'd take an Ionhead, for GEQs I'd use the Railhead submunition or I might take Crisis suits with BC/MP. If I knew I was up against a horde army I'd be looking to take the AFP and I'd be giving one XV8 a BC CIB combo.

I can understand your reticence about losing the XV88s. Ironically I think I'd probably take them instead of the Railhead but by earlier advice was based on your assertion that you were after a mobile force and I don't regard XV88s fitting well into that category.

Your list is looking much better, though. However, my advice is that you try out various combinations until you get the feel for what works best for you. Unfortunately, however good a list might look on paper you won't know until you've tried it out against any number of opponents. The thing to do is just keep on experimenting and you'll soon find out what you like using best. There's no "one size fits all" answer, it's what you get most fun out of using and, hopefully, winning win.

~ Raven ~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your list is looking much better, though. However, my advice is that you try out various combinations until you get the feel for what works best for you. Unfortunately, however good a list might look on paper you won't know until you've tried it out against any number of opponents. The thing to do is just keep on experimenting and you'll soon find out what you like using best.

~ Raven ~
Good in theory, but the problem is that I will be building this army once I get a good idea for the kind of list I want,and I don't have the money to tinkerwith itreally. By my best estimation, the abovelist will run around $300, including paints & brushes and whatnot. An extra $20-30 for a squad/vehicle I don't need is something I can justify, but would really rather not. Honestly, I'll be hard-pressed to find the time to paint the army I do wind up building, thanks to full-time work and college.

I suppose the one advantage that I do have over a complete newcomer to the game is that I played a handful of games (all as a Tau army) against a few different oponents (Nids, Necrons, SMurfs, and Eldar) in 2002 or 2003 (using the old Tau codex; or as I like to call it: "Markerlights: an Exercise in Futility"). My point being that I have at least a little bit of real-world knowledge of what role units play and targetting priority and so on and so forth. I'm more or less capable of translating a "paper" unit to what it can realistically do on a battlefield given the composition of the rest of my army. I'm not necessarily good at knowing what another army is capable of, apart from the broadest stereotypes.

I guess my overall point is that I would like to get my list as close to "perfect" as possible before I physically assemble it. Barring some way of playing online, sans models, or folks letting me proxy an army, I don't see a real solution.

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Good in theory, but the problem is that I will be building this army once I get a good idea for the kind of list I want,and I don't have the money to tinkerwith itreally. By my best estimation, the abovelist will run around $300, including paints & brushes and whatnot. An extra $20-30 for a squad/vehicle I don't need is something I can justify, but would really rather not. Honestly, I'll be hard-pressed to find the time to paint the army I do wind up building, thanks to full-time work and college.

I guess my overall point is that I would like to get my list as close to "perfect" as possible before I physically assemble it. Barring some way of playing online, sans models, or folks letting me proxy an army, I don't see a real solution.
I'm sorry, I wasn't suggesting you played around with everything, it was the tinkering around the edges that I meant you should try out. The core of your list is solid but it's the last 10-15% that we all have so much difficulty getting just so, the sort of "should I take 6 steatlhsuits or 4 stealthsuits and a Piranha?" sort of thing. If I can drift off into a flight of fancy it's a bit like baking: making a decent cake is easy, it's getting the yummy icing right that's the tricky and time-consuming bit ... ... ... Get a solid core that you're comfortable with - I would suggest that your HQ, your 2 x XV8 Elites, your 2 Troop choices and your Railhead are the sort of thing that most of us would probably take - and then agonise over the shiny bits at the periphery (FA and stuff like that!) to make up the final points total.

~ Raven ~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.