Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First army so please comment.
Raven guard

Traits:
Blessed be the Warriors
No mercy, no respite
Flesh over steel

HQ:
Master w/ bolter pistol, power weapon, terminator honors, combat shield, jump pack
and furious charge
total 139pts

elite:
9 assault troops w/ furious charge, 2 w/ flamer,
Sergent w/ terminator honors power fist
total 292pts

Troops:
6 space marines 1 w/ plasma cannon 1w/ plasma gun
total 120pts

total 120pts

5 scouts 4w/ snipers 1w/ heavy bolter
total 90pts

5 scouts 4w/ bolter 1w/ missile launcher
total 70pts

fast attack

land speeder tornado w/ assault cannon
total 80ptspts

total 80ptspts

grand total 991pts

would like to work in a devastator squad but don't know what to change
appreciate the help thanks

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
How fluffy are you trying to keep this army list? That would be the first thing to decide on. Would you sacrifice sheer competitiveness to keep a fluffy element, or do you prefer to win with a semi-fluffy feel?

First army so please comment.
Raven guard

Traits:
Blessed be the Warriors
No mercy, no respite
Flesh over steel
Codex, good.

HQ:
Master w/ bolter pistol, power weapon, terminator honors, combat shield, jump pack
and furious charge
total 139pts
Not bad if you're going for your own character, but there are a couple of things here. First, he can't have Furious Charge; only Assault/Tactical squads (due to traits) or Command Squads (and their characters) can purchase Furious Charge. IC's can't take it without a command squad. Second, toss some frags on here.

You may be better off with a Reclusiarch with Jump Pack, pistol, and frags for 107 points, but I like Masters myself.

elite:
9 assault troops w/ furious charge, 2 w/ flamer,
Sergent w/ terminator honors power fist
total 292pts
Some people swear by 10 man squads, but personally I find that 8 Assault Marines is generally enough. Besides that, good setup. My only concern is that these guys are your only dedicated assault unit; be careful that they don't get swamped in CC, which is very possible.

Troops:
total 120pts

total 120pts
Raven Guard lists, when fluffy, tend to lack anti-tank. I don't like min/max squads to begin with, and I prefer to put all of my Tactical squads in Drop Pods (extremely fluffy). Consider dropping these guys for one 8-man squad with a Melta Gun and a Power Fisted sergeant and then tossing them a Drop Pod (I know, it's a Fast Attack slot, but it's well worth it).

5 scouts 4w/ snipers 1w/ heavy bolter
total 90pts
I don't think you'll be needing snipers at 1000 points; not that many players field large targets, and you need the extra anti-tank punch. I'd keep it to a 5-6 man squad with a missile launcher.

5 scouts 4w/ bolter 1w/ missile launcher
total 70pts
This squad should be 75 points, not 70.

fast attack

total 80ptspts

total 80ptspts
A lot of people think that Land Speeders are very fluffy for Raven Guard, but I disagree with that notion. I go by the concept of 'ASD,' or 'Assault Marines, Scouts, and Drop Pods.' These are the fundamentals in any fluffy RG list. You could afford to lose these guys unless you really want to keep them in there.

I'll send you a link to an article I wrote via PM.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
You may be better off with a Reclusiarch with Jump Pack, pistol, and frags for 107 points, but I like Masters myself.
If your going with a chaplain, than its also best to give him terminator honours and make the model 122 points. He costs a bit more but the extra attack can make the difference in some combats.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
If your going with a chaplain, than its also best to give him terminator honours and make the model 122 points. He costs a bit more but the extra attack can make the difference in some combats.
This is true in some situations, but I tend to find that the Chaplain backed by 8-10 Assault Marines tends to have enough attacks to make it so that an extra one (power weapon, of course) doesn't make a significant impact. I can definitely see where there would be times that it would, though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info here is an updated version

Master /w jump pack, bolter pistol, power weapon, terminator honors, combat shield, and frags
total 136

7 assault troops w/ furious charge, 1/w flamers
sergeant w/ terminator honors, power fist, furious charge
total 236

venerable dreadnought w/ heavy flamer, and extra armour
total 140

6 scouts w/ 1 missile launcher
total 88

6 scouts w/ 1 missile launcher
total 88

8 man tac squad sergeant with power fist w/ melta gun and Heavy bolter
total 135

5 man devastator squad w/ 2 laser cannons

2 drop pods (dreadnought and tac squad)

total 1028

which set do i need to buy for the dreadnought the Venerable or the regular.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
which set do i need to buy for the dreadnought the Venerable or the regular.
Overall not bad, but as you can see, you are over 28 points. So, to help remedy this, consider either dropping the Venerable or dropping the Dreadnought all together to fit something else in. You could also drop the Tactical Squad's heavy bolter and maybe 1-2 Scouts. Your Devastators should also get beefed up a little bit; five men is a bit low.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The new list looks good, with the dreadnought I would buy the normal set becasue it is cheaper and has more weapon options. Sure it doesn't look as good but just stick heaps of extra shrines and purity seals on it and dont forget to paint it good. I saw this pic on ebay recently and it looks like what you want to me.

Not my work by the way.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info about the dreadnought. I am probably going to play around with some green stuff to fancy it up a bit that that won't be for awhile though. I am going to work on the core army first.
I'll keep tinkering with the army list since it is probably not going to have it built for awhile (first set hasn't arrived from ebay yet and I have yet to buy paints or anything)
I will probably drop the 2 scouts which should do it. as for the devastator squad I will increase their size when i increase the size of my army. I plan to keep adding to the list till I have a 2000 pt army

dumb question. I know that the minature has to represent its upgrades but what about purity seals? I see some armies with alot of them on their marines yet not on their army lists.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
dumb question. I know that the minature has to represent its upgrades but what about purity seals? I see some armies with alot of them on their marines yet not on their army lists.
That's a bit backwards. You can put Purity Seals on your models even though they aren't there in the army list - just don't count the bonuses. However, if your army list has Purity Seals, you must put those on your models. That's WYSIWYG. Just because something is on your models doesn't necessarily mean that model gets equipped with it; it's all in the army list.

That said, as far as the Dreadnought model goes, then yeah, buy the regular one and do some simple conversions for it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i like your list alot, but personally i cant take a RG list without a couple lightning claws the fluff factor is just too much for me to resist and they just look awsome

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan to in my 2000 pt list but i still working to it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts